Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!  (Read 45651 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 08:59:24 am »

Since when has intelligece been a requirement for personhood, lots of people are brainless tools used by other people.
That isn't very nice. And mostly not true, if I understand what you're getting at. The mindless masses are not, in fact, mindless. As far as I can tell. They're just uneducated. Big difference there.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:01 am »

Also not trolling, I'm as serious as can be; I dont consider certain humans to be people, I get over feeling strange about it by letting others call me a monster.

When I say internet words I mean them.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:53 am »

So. Can you elaborate on who you consider to be beneath person status? What's your criterion?

Hmmm... I'll think about a response to my own question. I'll respond to it soonish. It's only fair. (Such a difficult question omg)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:38 am »

Are you sure he isn't using this as an argument against dolphins counting as people?

He's still making the assumption that they are, even if it is against dolphins counting as 'persons' (not necessarily 'people'. There's slightly different connotations there). "If they can be considered persons, then we'd have to round them up and have a big chat about how they aren't moral." That's what I got out of what he was saying, anyway.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:46 am »

Wait, rarborman isn't being facetious?

That's kinda terrifying.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2012, 09:18:22 am »

Wait, rarborman isn't being facetious?
That's kinda terrifying.
He's maximum trolling for this reaction out of the entire world. Subconsciously. (true fact)

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2012, 09:51:04 am »

No trolling, I'm not sorry if you find it terrifying, its just my real belief, you can be human, a person, a monster; they are not exclusive you can be one or all three.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2012, 09:53:04 am »

"I'm not sorry if you find it terrifying"

Maybe funny.

But anyway, what is personhood to you? And what is the criteria?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 09:55:10 am »

So any particular dolphin is a rapist if another dolphin is? Can I be the first to call out on dolphin racism?
It's a statistical fact, like saying "Most bears have killed and eaten another animal before." or "Most tadpoles will not survive to adulthood in the wild.", not some sort of 'dolphin racism' thing. The simple fact of the matter is that the majority of dolphins will, at some point in their life, rape or attack another member of their own species. Wild canines are the same way, as are most pack animals. Animals in general are terrible moral role models and regularly do things that would get a human a lengthy prison sentence in most parts of the world.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:23 am »

Why is self-awareness such a big deal? I though capacity for abstract thought is what sets humans apart.

It's far more difficult to test whether an animal has the capacity for abstract thought than it is to create thought experiments about self-awareness.
That's like using presence of eyeglasses to gauge somebody's education level.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:33 am »

I've never really writen it down, I'm too afraid it'll turn into a manifesto, and make me want to kill myself for no longer being able to be a person. Yeah a bit scary.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:31 am »

Yeah a bit scary.
He even agrees with me!
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:05 am »

'She' and beliefs can be scary, just look at religion.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:41 am »

So any particular dolphin is a rapist if another dolphin is? Can I be the first to call out on dolphin racism?
It's a statistical fact, like saying "Most bears have killed and eaten another animal before." or "Most tadpoles will not survive to adulthood in the wild.", not some sort of 'dolphin racism' thing. The simple fact of the matter is that the majority of dolphins will, at some point in their life, rape or attack another member of their own species. Wild canines are the same way, as are most pack animals. Animals in general are terrible moral role models and regularly do things that would get a human a lengthy prison sentence in most parts of the world.

Do you have statistics to prove dolphins are more likely to engage in rape and murder, and how does that account for factors such as poverty and other social influences? You could very well be labeling dolphins unfairly due to the pre-tribal culture they grow up in.

Quote from: raborman
'She' and beliefs can be scary, just look at religion.

You're not even subtle about trolling. I usually see you trying these ham-handed tactics and it's what I remember you by. Do you want to be known as the "Bad Troll" raborman, do you? Can you face that sort of social stigma?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:25:03 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:37 am »

TBH I'm willing to accept she's not trolling, as she'd have nothing to gain. No one's giving amusing replies, and I doubt it's helping her image (as you pointed out).

If she's trolling, she's being highly illogical about it. Spock would be bemused.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15