Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: @@@ Pokemon Fables: Viridian Forest 04-01-12 @@@  (Read 44766 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
@@@ Pokemon Fables: Viridian Forest 04-01-12 @@@
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:52 am »

a mod by Monk12 and Old Greg

***Advenutre Mode Download***
For DF v0.34.05 (not yet current)
***Fortress Mode Download***
For DF v0.34.07

Daddy, daddy, tell us a story!
Alright, which one would you like to hear?
I want to hear Growlithe and the Necromancer's Tower!
That one's stupid! I want to hear the Voyages of Lapras!
But we wanted to hear about how Pikachu came to be Sheriff of Gemweavers!
Settle down, we have time for all those stories! Now, our story begins a long time ago, when the world was young, the gods were many and the lands were plagued by terrible creatures of the night...

What is Pokemon Fables?

The conceit is simple- what if Beowulf or Lord of the Rings were written in the world of Pokemon? Quite simply, you'd have Grendel being slain by a Pikachu with his Sword of Flames, or Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur joining forces to break the siege of Minas Tirith. The goal of this mod is simply to make such a world possible through the addition of new items, civs, interactions, and of course, Pokemon.

Yeah, but what exactly have you actually done?

Fort Mode Features

That's cool and all, but it doesn't seem like much.

It isn't- right now, we have merely a fraction of our final features implemented. This mod will be actively developed to include evolutions, items, crafting, enchantments, and of course loads and loads of new Pokemon to bring on your adventures.

Current Adventure Mode Development- the evolutions of the Kanto starters as well as the ability to evolve in-game.

Well, adventure mode is cool and all, but I'm really more of a Fortress Mode person.

There are obvious discrepancies between how things work in Adventure Mode, and how they work in Fortress Mode, in some cases irreconcilably so. To that end, this mod features two different downloads you can choose from- one optimized for Fortress Mode, and one for Adventure Mode. Fortress Mode RAWS will focus on dwarves building a society and capturing wild Pokemon to help them survive, while Adventure Mode RAWS will focus on adventuring as a Civilized Pokemon in a world of Night Creatures, hostile civs, and brutish, barbarian Wild Pokemon.

That's really interesting! I've got some ideas too...

We are more than happy to hear requests for specific items, functionality, and of course favorite Pokemon to be included.

I'm sold! How do I get started?

Download the Latest Adventure Mode Version, or Fortress Mode if you'd rather, and you're ready to go! The following is a list of Pokemon and Techniques currently in the game, with detailed information and strategies to help you on your journey. Note that the starters are rather small by human standards, which makes them noticeably weaker in melee combat- Pokemon are adventurous spirits, however, and it shouldn't be too hard to get a party of companions with useful skills to help you even the odds!

Spoiler: Pokedex (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Techniques (click to show/hide)

Now go! Your very own Pokemon Legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures with Pokemon awaits! Onward to glory!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:16:47 pm by monk12 »

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
Re: @@@ Pokemon Fables: Viridian Forest release 04-01-12 @@@
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:13:25 am »

DWARF FORTRESS: STRIKE THE ROCK/GROUND

Pokemon Fables: Fortress Mode

Viridian Forest Release (0.3)

Hey all! Old Greg here. I’m a something of a new face to the modding community, but I’ve been playing DF for a few years now, tweaking raws all the while.

I’m working on the more dorf-mode-centric applications of this mod, as well as creating creature raws and doing other random jobs along with monk. It's still pretty alpha, but I hope you enjoy it! I'll be making pretty regular updates, so check back here often!

Spoiler: "Current Features" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Upcoming Features" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Thanks" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:34:41 pm by Old Greg »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: @@@ Pokemon Fables: Pallet Town release 02-24-12 @@@
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:08 am »

I'm not much of a Pokemon fan, but my cousin is. I will be watching this, mayhaps if he is interested I will post suggestions/ideas that he makes.

But I like the idea of a evolution shrine, I take it you would need to mine deep to find a water stone to evolve your squirtle or other water type pokemon? (I have limited knowledge in this) or would you have to slay a powerful beast and it drops these nifty evolve stones?

Also I hope your not going to make "people" versions of each pokemon (vanilla has enough animal people as it) I wouldn't mind Giant versions (but I think that excapes the pokemon lore?)

Also would a pet squirtle retract into it's shell when it goes to FLEE? And will there be the same vanilla civs? or just dwarves and humans battling it out (or will there be Team Rocket and those other Team XXXX's?)

Other then that your intro amused me, and good luck.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:51 am »

I'm certainly planning on introducing mine-able fire stones and the like - the current iteration of the Evolution Shrine just takes any rock. It's a bit of an odd dance to play, as most rocks aren't available in most embarks, and ideally, a given fortress would have at least limited access to all evolutions.

There are currently no plans to make "poke-people." That just strikes me as a tad unsettling. Giant might be fun though. If people are interested, I see no problem implementing them.

I'll let Monk field the question about the civs though - that's more his side of things. I'm just doing dorfs with pogeymans :D

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:34 am »

Perhaps mine-able evolve stones, plus the ability to trade for them (as they would count as gems? Make their value insanely high so trading is not easy without clearing out the fort to buy one) or instead of trade, killing a powerful fully evolved wild pokemon will drop it (or have a butcher extra item tag so it drops when butchered)

And good, I don't mind little pokemon (or giant ones :P ) but if there is Mew-two-man or squirtle-man (sounds like a type of offender D: ) it just gets into the... weird part of youtube so to speak.

anyways good luck guys

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:00 am »

I'm not much of a Pokemon fan, but my cousin is. I will be watching this, mayhaps if he is interested I will post suggestions/ideas that he makes.

But I like the idea of a evolution shrine, I take it you would need to mine deep to find a water stone to evolve your squirtle or other water type pokemon? (I have limited knowledge in this) or would you have to slay a powerful beast and it drops these nifty evolve stones?

Also I hope your not going to make "people" versions of each pokemon (vanilla has enough animal people as it) I wouldn't mind Giant versions (but I think that excapes the pokemon lore?)

Also would a pet squirtle retract into it's shell when it goes to FLEE? And will there be the same vanilla civs? or just dwarves and humans battling it out (or will there be Team Rocket and those other Team XXXX's?)

Other then that your intro amused me, and good luck.

RE: Evolution- Both solutions will be implemented, I think. Mining evolution stones works very well for Fort mode, but is wildly impractical for Adventure Mode. Killing powerful beasts and crafting their item drops is an excellent gameplay mechanic for Adventure Mode, but would mean having to wait until Megabeast attacks or enormous wildlife appears in Fort Mode. The particulars should be hammered out over the next few days.

RE: Animal People- You're right, they fit very strangely in a Pokemon world. I won't be making any Pokemonmen, and I plan to reduce/eliminate almost all of the regular animalmen since that is basically the niche regular Pokemon fill. Ideally the more social wild Pokemon will fill the animalman civ role completely (tribes of Clefairy in the caverns, etc) Giant Pokemon aren't nearly as bad, but right now I don't have any plans to introduce any- there should be enough variety in the types of Pokemon to make up for the lack of creature variations.

RE: Squirtle- he does indeed retract into his shell when he goes to flee- however, I've noticed that since all Pokemon LIKES_FIGHTING (causing them to stand and fight instead of fleeing from enemies) he often doesn't do it until it is too late. Against enemies with hammers or enemies that are much much larger, he just gets crushed. The time a Squirtle and I had to kill a jaguar and the jaguar ripped off his arm, though, he retracted into his shell and the jaguar couldn't hurt him. He died a bit later due to blood loss, but at least it showed the AI will use it. I'm hoping to get some more feedback on how all the abilities are working so they can be improved for subsequent releases.

RE: Civs- I've been batting around ideas for more customized civs, like replacing Goblins with Team Rocket stand-ins, who show up to babysnatch your Pokemon and generally go around causing villainy. I'm also thinking of a race that tries to do completely without Pokemon by working out their own way to use the Elements system, either through crafting or weak interactions they can do. They may or may not replace the elves- it's all something to play with in the future, see what's best for the flavor of the mod.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:51:17 pm »

Spoiler: Bulbasaur (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:14:11 pm by monk12 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »

LEECH SEED

Type: Grass

Category: Status effect

Effect: Leech Seed has two main effects. The first is to reduce the Strength, Toughness, Endurance, and Agility of the target by 75%, which lasts for 8 hours in Adventure mode (~1 month Fort mode.) The second effect is to greatly boost the Recuperation of the user for a short period of time equal to the cooldown time of Leech Seed. Leech Seed cannot be used on a target that is already seeded.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:11 pm »

Posting to follow.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 01:23:17 pm »

will bulbasaur be able to use bullet seed? (interaction has many targets so it fires a volley of grass type seeds (or whatever type))

will there be a way to heal removed limbs for pokemon? reaction that turns all pokemon affected to another creature for 1 tick?

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 01:29:25 pm »

Fort mode will have a pokemon center (not implemented yet). The problem is that evolved pokemon will count as being "transformed," so they'll be immune to further transformations. Evolving will fully heal them, but we won't be able to use poly morph healing.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

Spoiler: Charmander (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:15:05 pm by monk12 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »

RE: Bullet Seed- More varied moves are definitely in the works- as it stands, the basic elemental attacks they have now are just placeholders to demonstrate and test the material weakness system. I think Leech Seed and Squirtle's Withdraw ability are the only ones that will survive that rewrite. My current plan is to get evolution working in adventure mode (complete with the rest of the starting evolutions) and then get cracking on more interesting moves.

RE: Healing- Like Old Greg said, once you've evolved you won't be able to poly-heal. This should provide an interesting gameplay choice in adventure mode where you have to decide whether to evolve and become more powerful, or stay unevolved to retain the utility of Revive Seeds or whatever.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »

Spoiler: Squirtle (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:15:38 pm by monk12 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:59 pm »

WITHDRAW

Type: Normal

Category: Special ability

Effect: A Pokemon using a Withdraw ability retracts into their shell. While in their shell, they are prone, have greatly reduced speed, and cannot attack with weapons. They can, however, attack with techniques, although the AI is not intelligent enough to take advantage of this ability. While withdrawn, attacks are much more likely to hit the shell- against many wild animals, this can make the Pokemon effectively invulnerable. Against significantly larger enemies, or enemies with blunt weapons, the shell can be fractured and torn off, so caution is necessary.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11