Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1242862 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8295 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:16 pm »

I have experienced the phenomena myself, but this is pretty obviously a "we're not saying but we're just saying" that video games are a mentally scaring evil that makes people violent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: July 31, 2014, 12:07:24 am »

I bet this is the same phenomenon that makes me feel like my phone is vibrating in my pocket when it's really across the room and I'm not wearing pants.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:47 am »

I bet this is the same phenomenon that makes me feel like my phone is vibrating in my pocket when it's really across the room and I'm not wearing pants.

Oh man, I hate this! I eventually figured out what it was though, it wasn't this, it was tractors. Turns out the entire building shakes at pretty regular intervals because of the construction they are doing a block away, and that's what I was feeling. Whoops!

I think they're merely pointing out that a generation of people constantly hearing explosions is probably not a good thing.
Explosions are the least offensive instantiation though. Pokemon or Tetris music is definitely the worst.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:22 am »

You get that too? :O
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: July 31, 2014, 12:20:10 am »

Everybody who keeps a phone gets it, it's called phantom ringing/vibrating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:48 am »

You're lucky. All I get is phantom spiders.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:56 am »

You're lucky. All I get is phantom spiders.

Not as effective as vibration, but having spiders disgorge from your phone every time you get a phone call would get you to pick up quickly.

Though maybe only to throw it across the room.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: July 31, 2014, 01:54:01 am »

Everybody who keeps a phone gets it, it's called phantom ringing/vibrating.
... who keeps a phone and experiences the phenomena, anyway. This... whatever it is, is something I've never experienced, in any form, even when I kept a phone on me pretty much 24/7 for a few years. Video game binging laughs -- I've played 2-3 days near non-stop before and... nothing like what described. Closest is maybe some dreams involving video game stuff, but there's been pretty close to zero correlation there between play time and appearance in dream, with that. Or perhaps music, I guess, but I get semi-intrusive music recall from pretty much gorram everything, and again is something that's not particularly correlated to time exposed.*

*One of the biggest perpetrators of intrusive music remembrance that I've experienced is Peter and the Wolf, which I was exposed to maybe 20-30 minutes total when I was in my early teens and proceeded to intermittently get hit by it for the remaining... well, ever. It's been well over a decade now, though it's cut back a bit since I actually found the song and listened to it again.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:26 am »

I get that whole phantom vibrating thingy, but only when driving at low revs. So, yea, less phantom ringing and more "stuff in my pockets shaking about due to engine". I still snap into action and go to grab my phone all them same though.

Back in the day though I played so much Lemmings and Worms that I even saw them when closing my eyes and would hum music from both subconsciously.
This is a blank sig.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: July 31, 2014, 03:25:40 am »

It's the same mechanic that gets a catchy tune stuck in your head.

Up next: UN bans pop music for causing PTSD!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:00 am »

Catchy tunes are srs bsns. If a wrong tune gets stuck in your head, it can ruin your entire day unless you manage to refocus your mind on something else.
._.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: July 31, 2014, 12:47:14 pm »

If it's not long term (and the vast majority of cases don't seem to be) then I don't really think it's much of an issue.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:21 am »

Gaming discussion

Guys, the most important part of the article is this:
A common denominator between those suffering from GTP was that they had all been gaming for an excessive amount of time. The worst cases appearing in those who had been gaming for two days straight or throughout the night.

Unhealthy habits are unhealthy. Playing games consequently for long amounts of time is bad for us, both physically and mentally. This isn't something we can deny just because a bunch of overly excited censorship advocates are out there screaming "GAMES MAKE YOU CRAZY".

I have experienced the phenomena myself, but this is pretty obviously a "we're not saying but we're just saying" that video games are a mentally scaring evil that makes people violent.

To me it seems more like that's you automatically going on the defensive because you've listened too much to the types of Jack Chick.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:42 am »

Unhealthy habits are unhealthy. Playing games consequently for long amounts of time is bad for us, both physically and mentally. This isn't something we can deny just because a bunch of overly excited censorship advocates are out there screaming "GAMES MAKE YOU CRAZY".
Can deny it's a necessary consequence of such practices, though.* Least I would, having been there, done that (more than once in the case of the two-days-straight and several dozen times in the case of playing through the night), and experienced no hallucinations (of the nature described, anyway**). So it's not so much "unhealthy habits are unhealthy" as "certain portions of the population have particular reactions to specific habits", evidentially unhealthy or not (since there were apparently those that experienced the phenomena with considerably less contributing factors than overnight or 48 hour gaming binges).

I do have to say, though, I'd love to see the study expanded if similar ones haven't already been done. Seems obvious to me you should see similar reactions from reading, watching TV, and music (the catchy tune phenomena is an obvious parallel) at the very least -- I'd guess other stuff as well, such as writing, working, and so on. Anything a person might do for an extended period.

E2: What would be really interesting would be if they could get the same study groups (along with other, different, ones of course) in on said other experiments, to see if it's medium specific or influenced, or not.

*E: Which I don't remember the article stating, but your wording suggests it a bit, so making the statement above to kinda' preemptively nip the concept in the bud.
**Visual snow yadda yadda 24/7 visual hallucinations etc.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:17:21 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: August 01, 2014, 09:12:33 am »

I do have to say, though, I'd love to see the study expanded if similar ones haven't already been done. Seems obvious to me you should see similar reactions from reading, watching TV, and music (the catchy tune phenomena is an obvious parallel) at the very least -- I'd guess other stuff as well, such as writing, working, and so on. Anything a person might do for an extended period.
I've had something similar with too much time spent in a loud night club. Different to having a song stuck in your head, it sounds like the music is coming from outside your head rather then inside.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 759