Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247081 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/rush-limbaugh-controversy-12-companies-counting-pull-ads-164335691.html?l=1

24 companies pulling adds and counting. http://signon.org/sign/clear-channel-discontinue.fb1?source=s.fb&r_by=2923927

Might not kill the show, but let's hurt him a bit. It'll be a hell of a thing for him to ask ClearChannel for more money when his contract comes up for renewal next time....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinunderhill/2012/03/05/attorney-general-explains-why-its-okay-to-kill-u-s-citizens-without-a-trial/
So wait, this is a thing that is accurate?
What the fuck USA? No seriously, what the possible fuck could ever justify such blatant lunacy?

EDIT:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/rush-limbaugh-controversy-12-companies-counting-pull-ads-164335691.html?l=1
"I always tried to maintain a very high degree of integrity and independence on this program," he said Monday. "Nevertheless, those two words were inappropriate, they were uncalled for, they distracted from the point that I was actually trying to make, and I again sincerely apologize to Miss Fluke for using those two words to describe her."

Isn't that a bit like saying "I'm very sorry for saying that all niggers should be rounded up and killed, and use of that word has clearly distracted from my true message, I should have used the correct term 'African Americans'"
It isn't even the specific words that were offensive, it was the way you used them, mate.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »

9/11 ARE COUNTRY IS UNDER ATTACKED BY TERRISTS, of course. Why that mentality is still around, I'll never know.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinunderhill/2012/03/05/attorney-general-explains-why-its-okay-to-kill-u-s-citizens-without-a-trial/
What the fuck USA? No seriously, what the possible fuck could ever justify such blatant lunacy?

Dick Cheney's decades of effort to subvert the concept of justice among other reasons.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2012, 06:48:33 pm »

EDIT:
"I always tried to maintain a very high degree of integrity and independence on this program," he said Monday. "Nevertheless, those two words were inappropriate, they were uncalled for, they distracted from the point that I was actually trying to make, and I again sincerely apologize to Miss Fluke for using those two words to describe her."

Isn't that a bit like saying "I'm very sorry for saying that all niggers should be rounded up and killed, and use of that word has clearly distracted from my true message, I should have used the correct term 'African Americans'"
It isn't even the specific words that were offensive, it was the way you used them, mate.

Yes and yes. His "apologies" have been backpedaled by saying he still thinks what he thinks, but regretted using those two words.

The irony is that all of the "national security" programs detract from national security. Basically it's "Let's panic without knowing what the fuck we're doing." We've faced threats like before, yes.... like... this. It isn't new, but history seems to be a boring subject?

"The bill would ... underscore 'the role of fathers in the primary prevention of child abuse and neglect.'" ... I'm sorry, they do realize fathers sometimes abuse, right? In that instance, divorce is often preferred....

"In "How The United States and The State of Wisconsin Are Working to Encourage Single Motherhood and Discouraging Children in 2-Parent Families," he wrote that the government urges women not to get married by making programs like low-income housing assistance, school choice, WIC, tax credits, and food stamps more attractive than marriage. "

His solution? Restrict the types of foods that can be purchased with food stamps, make Section 8 housing more cramped and limit the value of assets owned living there to $2,000, and eliminate school choice, among other things. "It is inexcusable that a single mother making $15,000 gets her kid out of the Milwaukee Public Schools but a married couple earning $50,000 is stuck in the public schools," he wrote. "It is also somewhat outrageous that some married couples feel they can only afford one or two children in part because they are paying excessive taxes to provide programs for someone else to have four or five children.

This guy has cause and effect all mixed up. Nobody looks at programs for the poor and says "YAAAY! I wanna be on that and be POOOOR!" :D :D  <--- More like we need to keep people from the gutter who otherwise would be in it.

???
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:59:35 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:11 pm »

9/11 ARE COUNTRY IS UNDER ATTACKED BY TERRISTS, of course. Why that mentality is still around, I'll never know.
I for one feel that the US massively over-reacted to 9/11. Yes is was a terrible thing but its the first time in decades that we where attacked on our soil and people just over-reacted. Its a bit like the anti-commie mentality that is still rather popular. The government is a bit too good at propaganda.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/06/abstinence-only-bill-of-the-day/
Abstinence-Only Bill of the Day: With the nation’s attention trained on the media’s breathless coverage of Super Tuesday, Utah’s legislature this evening quietly passed a bill requiring schools to teach abstinence-only sex education, or else skip the classes altogether.

Additionally, both teachers and students would be prohibited from discussing contraception and homosexuality in the classroom.
Senator Stuart Reid (R-Ogden) said the legislation takes sex ed out of the hands of teachers “who we have no idea what their morals are” and turns it over to parents.
ಠ_ಠ

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:05 pm »

The LRA is abducting and forcing children to be murderers to "establish a Christian Theocracy" in Africa. Though even that idea is appalling, it's even worse when you realize that the "Christian Theocracy" bit is in fact just a bid to allow the LRA's leader Joseph Kony to maintain power and his comfortable lifestyle. To secure this, Kony has kidnapped, mutilated, tortured, and ordered the murders of many people... and we're not talking a few handfuls of villagers, but thousands of men, women, and children across Africa.

There's an international, citizen-organized effort to help get the leader of the LRA arrested for crimes against humanity, which is being as mobilized on the internet right now. The efforts are time-sensitive; a major awareness initiative is scheduled for April, which you can personally get involved with in your local area. The window to see that Kony is arrested is only open until the end of 2012, when the American advisory board helping the Ugandan army will withdraw from the area, taking with them the tools necessary to bring him to justice.

Here's a video link for more information. I'll be doing my part this April, and later this year. I'd invite you guys to get involved in your areas as well.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2012, 11:19:04 pm »

You can find Episode 1 here.
Until I looked at the video, I seriously read that as Politic Hicks rather than Politi-Chicks. This honestly almost borders of parody... but it's not funny...
???
almost borders of parody
:o
almost ... parody
WHAT!? I got about 6 minutes in, flipping between the thread and the video, before I read this post. This ISN'T A PARODY? Sweet galloping galleons! These people are literally saying that all Islamic people are born to kill Christians, and then wondering how that could be possible. In the same line! I'm sorry, this has to be a parody. You can't... do... that's not logic!

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/wisconsin-bill-claims-single-moms-cause-child-abuse-011200419.html

This is blatantly unconstitutional even under a rational basis test.

"The bill would ... underscore 'the role of fathers in the primary prevention of child abuse and neglect.'" ... I'm sorry, they do realize fathers sometimes abuse, right? In that instance, divorce is often preferred....

"In "How The United States and The State of Wisconsin Are Working to Encourage Single Motherhood and Discouraging Children in 2-Parent Families," he wrote that the government urges women not to get married by making programs like low-income housing assistance, school choice, WIC, tax credits, and food stamps more attractive than marriage. "

His solution? Restrict the types of foods that can be purchased with food stamps, make Section 8 housing more cramped and limit the value of assets owned living there to $2,000, and eliminate school choice, among other things. "It is inexcusable that a single mother making $15,000 gets her kid out of the Milwaukee Public Schools but a married couple earning $50,000 is stuck in the public schools," he wrote. "It is also somewhat outrageous that some married couples feel they can only afford one or two children in part because they are paying excessive taxes to provide programs for someone else to have four or five children.

This guy has cause and effect all mixed up. Nobody looks at programs for the poor and says "YAAAY! I wanna be on that and be POOOOR!" :D :D  <--- More like we need to keep people from the gutter who otherwise would be in it.

???
Neither is this! What's going on!?

Abstinence-Only Bill of the Day: With the nation’s attention trained on the media’s breathless coverage of Super Tuesday, Utah’s legislature this evening quietly passed a bill requiring schools to teach abstinence-only sex education, or else skip the classes altogether.

Additionally, both teachers and students would be prohibited from discussing contraception and homosexuality in the classroom.
Senator Stuart Reid (R-Ogden) said the legislation takes sex ed out of the hands of teachers “who we have no idea what their morals are” and turns it over to parents.
ಠ_ಠ
Makes me glad I finally donated to the ACLU, though it was but a paltry sum. I'll be writing a letter to them very soon. My hope is that they will get all up in Utah's shit about that. I mean, Utah's as close to a theocracy as we have amongst the states, but it still has to follow the federal constitution!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 07, 2012, 12:02:36 am »

WHAT!? I got about 6 minutes in, flipping between the thread and the video, before I read this post. This ISN'T A PARODY? Sweet galloping galleons! These people are literally saying that all Islamic people are born to kill Christians, and then wondering how that could be possible. In the same line! I'm sorry, this has to be a parody. You can't... do... that's not logic!
You've never heard someone say that and be dead serious before? Lucky you :(

You can't really expect logical progression of thought from the axiom they're working from (The whole Islam-hates-everything, etc.), though. If they were actually right, and that belief correct, there would be absolutely no way short of nuclear attack (and even that likely wouldn't be sufficient!) to stop the Islamic people (Singular, collective? Ha!) from conquering the US. ~1/3rd of the world's population is Islamic. Around 1/23rd of the world's population is American. Those aren't good odds.

I'm always vaguely confused how the folks holding on to that thought process (Singular Islam, all hating the west, and especially America) stop themselves from breaking into despair. The scenario they're describing is utterly unwinnable, simply completely hopeless. If I were them, I'd be hoping and praying to whatever was listening I was incredibly wrong :-\

[snip]
Neither is this! What's going on!?
Welcome to America, where apparently some large subset of our population hate the poor as well as women who aren't shackled to a man.

Incidentally... *checks* Wisconsin. Don't go there. It's on the list.

Ah, that's going to be fun. So, who else wants to lay bets that the teenage pregnancy rate in Utah goes up?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any areas in the states, at all, in which abstinence-only sex education actually reduced pregnancy rates, especially among teenagers?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:54 am »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any areas in the states, at all, in which abstinence-only sex education actually reduced pregnancy rates, especially among teenagers?
Off the top of my head...none. But since when have facts and statistics mattered to the ultra-religious right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 07, 2012, 01:10:56 am »

I spent like an hour discussing government with my libertarian father and republican uncle. It ended up with me saying the government can help people, and them saying all the problems people would need helped with are caused by the government.

I might go into detail more on this tomorrow, but I'm exhausted from skiing all day so I'm going to sleep.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:46 am »

Well government often acts as an arbiter in disputes, so they'd be saying there would never be an interpersonal dispute without government?

Also, contracts only exist within an enforcement framework, without which everything needs to be taken on faith. e.g. property ownership, totally based on having a government to arbitrate.

If they tell you business' will honor their contracts even without a government enforcing the rules, tell them they're even more utopian than the liberals.

And give them the example of drug gangs for total unregulated capitalism. If they counter that those are criminals, not businessmen, return fire with the argument that if we don't have a government to suppress the criminals then the line between crime and business will blur, and who will compete against guys who shoot their competition?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:25:57 am by Reelya »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2012, 02:55:34 am »

To be fair, even libertarians are okay with courts and legislation existing to take care of outright fraud and contractual matters.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2012, 02:56:35 am »

Rush Limbaugh loses forever.   Seriously, this guy has issues, I swear.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 759