Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247449 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1170 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:56 pm »

If they don't like their new marriage, they're just being close minded.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 26, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »

Whilst I'd love open borders everywhere, it'd cause a hell of a lot of economic problems. See: the USA's Gilded Age unemployment, current era globalization, etc.

The world economy's all sorts of messed up, giving people benefits for living in a certain area. Fix that, then you can fix immigration/emmigration.

I don't claim to know enough to be sure about anything, but the way I see it, is that a lot of the problems in the world are caused by people being stuck some place under unfortunate circumstances. Give people the ability to go where they want, and suddenly those governments out there who do bad things lose their base.

One way of looking at it is democracy where you cast your vote by choosing where you reside. Another, perhaps, is a free market approach to the situation. While I don't always like what these two systems provide for us as is, it certainly couldn't be worse than what we have now, where people are stuck in bad situations simply because they're too poor, or the borders are closed, or the barriers to entry of the more fortunate countries are extremely high.

Unlikely to happen anyway, and I'd be happy to hear better ideas. Like I said, I can't predict what ripples and waves this might cause, and it certainly would end up causing problems. At heart, I just don't like the idea that some people deserve better chances at a good life than others simply because of the circumstances of their birth. Also sorta pissed at the whole "not allowed to go to Cuba" thing, but that's neither here nor there.

Frumple was right, however, nothing will ever get done if everyone is waiting on everyone else to first fix their parts.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 26, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »

Also sorta pissed at the whole "not allowed to go to Cuba" thing, but that's neither here nor there.

This reminded me about some talk Obama had early in his presidency where he promised to ease our relations with Cuba, and from some wiki-browsing I found that during his presidency economic and travel restrictions have been lessened, but I've got no clue what the specifics are.

I'm a little too lazy to find stuff about every bill, but this BBC article covers him allowing Cuban Americans to visit Cuba more easily.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:52 pm »

http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Huzzah! Now I don't have the excuse of "I'm lazy' as a reason not to contact my congressman! >_>

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:06:48 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:51 pm »

Meh, there are legitimate problems with the whole "illegal immigrants being here," thing. However, it balances out once you realize that they pick all the food out of the fields, which let's face it, nobody here wants to do/can do.
The quote was about New Zealand, though, and it doesn't really balance out there. They have more than enough legal workers to handle all their picking twice over. And they are a small country with something on the order of 30% of their land area dedicated to nature preserves. They are big fans of sustainability, in a lot of different ways, and that means keeping outsiders out - whether it be pests, pets, plants or people.

Not to say their policy or implementation is perfect, or even very good, but there are a lot of people who want to live there, and unlike, say, the US, they can't fit them.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »

Meh, there are legitimate problems with the whole "illegal immigrants being here," thing. However, it balances out once you realize that they pick all the food out of the fields, which let's face it, nobody here wants to do/can do.
The quote was about New Zealand, though, and it doesn't really balance out there. They have more than enough legal workers to handle all their picking twice over. And they are a small country with something on the order of 30% of their land area dedicated to nature preserves. They are big fans of sustainability, in a lot of different ways, and that means keeping outsiders out - whether it be pests, pets, plants or people.

Not to say their policy or implementation is perfect, or even very good, but there are a lot of people who want to live there, and unlike, say, the US, they can't fit them.

I'm afraid I honestly don't understand you.

If you're quoting me, then I said:

Can you please help me understand how this was about NZ?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:00 am »

Because the conversation was about New Zealand.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 27, 2012, 12:41:23 am »

Just going to point out the CISPA thread, especially relevant now that the bill has passed in the House.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 27, 2012, 02:42:02 am »

He means the quote in your post. That is, the dialogue you responded to.
Love, scriver~

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 27, 2012, 02:50:38 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/hurt-arizona-immigration-law-hispanics-organize-070343097.html
-snipsnip-

That entire law makes no sense. They say it's not racial profiling, but they're not going to pull over a pale man with an orange beard and be all like "Sir, Can I see your green card? You look like an illegal Irish immigrant".

Basically, it's legislation that allows police to arrest hispanics and it makes me sad. Sad because It makes the south, and by extension me, look reaaaally bad.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »

As the others stated, the conversation was about NZ. Which made your post a bit of a... non-sequiter, I guess. I was trying to stay on topic by relating your response to the situation being discussed.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 27, 2012, 03:04:29 pm »

Sad because It makes the south, and by extension me, look reaaaally bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy

You only "look bad" to people whose opinions you probably shouldn't care about anyway. So don't get too bent out of shape about that part (though do of course get bent out of shape about the racial profiling).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 27, 2012, 03:06:13 pm »

There's strong social value in judging by association, don't trast it completely. It provides incentive for people to improve the things with which they are associated, and is a strong social force for the better.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 27, 2012, 07:00:45 pm »

As the others stated, the conversation was about NZ. Which made your post a bit of a... non-sequiter, I guess. I was trying to stay on topic by relating your response to the situation being discussed.

That's what I get for not making time to read the previous posts and starting a "new" one. Sorry.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 759