Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244353 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1290 on: May 09, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »

This is a pretty big deal, right?

[Jawdrop]
Look at the poll at the bottom, too. A full half of the country supports gay marriage, assuming the poll is accurate. Who says there's no progress?  ;D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »

[Jawdrop]
Look at the poll at the bottom, too. A full half of the country supports gay marriage, assuming the poll is accurate. Who says there's no progress?  ;D

.... It's a BBC link. British Broadcasting Company. I somehow doubt Americans who oppose gay marriage and vote that way show up in that. Honestly. I somehow picture that demographic watching Fox News.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 09, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »

[Jawdrop]

.... It's a BBC link. British Broadcasting Company. I somehow doubt Americans who oppose gay marriage and vote that way show up in that. Honestly. I somehow picture that demographic watching Fox News.
A Gallup poll on Tuesday suggested that 50% of Americans were in favour of legalising gay marriage - a slightly lower proportion than last year - while 48% said they would oppose such a move.
Nope, looks like an American-run poll asking Americans. The BBC is just reporting it.

Edit: Fixed some linkage fail  :-[
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:08:28 pm by Sirus »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 09, 2012, 03:03:34 pm »

Obama not being a spineless loser on something.

I....I.....holy shit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:33 pm »

[Jawdrop]

[urlhttp://www.gallup.com/poll/154529/Half-Americans-Support-Legal-Gay-Marriage.aspx]A Gallup poll[/url] on Tuesday suggested that 50% of Americans were in favour of legalising gay marriage - a slightly lower proportion than last year - while 48% said they would oppose such a move.
Nope, looks like an American-run poll asking Americans. The BBC is just reporting it.

You have to admit; it isn't entirely unreasonable to question the accuracy of that or any poll saying Americans are supporting gay marriage though. My longstanding position is that people say one thing and do another, especially when the thing they say is "I support gay marriage." I find it a lot like how everybody says they're for racial equality, including the racists out there. There are very few racists alive today who are dumb enough to stand up in court and actually say they hate black people, for no other reason than they know if they do, they lose the case and pay money for it.

Hell, I've had the displeasure of representing racist landlords in court. They get up on that stand and they're better at lookin' like they're boy scouts than some criminals I've defended.

[shrugs] Please notice the pile of salt on the table. Everyone should feel free to take what I said and a grain of that salt to go with it, because it's entirely possible I'll never think people are fully accepting of gays. :)

Now if you want American news coverage of this I submit Yahoo.com: http://gma.yahoo.com/obama-announces-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html And I recommend you don't look at the comments saying this has sealed his fate to lose the reelection. "By Rick Klein | ABC OTUS News – 1 hour 37 minutes ago"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:11:49 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 09, 2012, 03:14:20 pm »

*shrug*

Pass that metaphorical pile of salt this way. It's generally safe to assume that any Yahoo! comments section is full of trolls trolling each other.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »

*shrug*

Pass that metaphorical pile of salt this way. It's generally safe to assume that any Yahoo! comments section is full of trolls trolling each other.

Arguably valid point. Let's see if this becomes the distraction they need to let the student loan interest rate double....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:36:23 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:22 pm »

It's a political move. He knows he's lost a lot of support from his core liberal demographic, so he's trying to regain support by supporting gay marriage.

I'm not sure this was actually a sound move for him from a purely strategical perspective.

Of course, I'm actually very happy the president is supporting gay marriage, it was about damn time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:01:04 pm by Pnx »

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1298 on: May 09, 2012, 03:57:02 pm »

Big enough for me: he finally came out and said it.

Worth my donation to his campaign at least (just made one after seeing that).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:03 pm »

Nate Silver on the poll numbers. Also, graph;

Somewhat related, Shep Smith saying Republicans are on the wrong side of history on Fox News.

I have a window open to register as an overseas voter again this year. This is the push that might make me track down my social security number.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 09, 2012, 04:04:07 pm »

ROFL...based on the font size on FOX News, you'd think he just declared war.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 09, 2012, 04:06:19 pm »

Well, many social conservatives still think they're fighting a "culture war".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »

It's going to be the mother of all ironies if the GOP tries to turn the November election into a culture war referendum, and it winds up being the culture wars that gets Obama re-elected, when the economy alone could have gotten Romney a shot at the White House.

Because seriously...how many points do the GOP stand to shave off Obama's numbers with this? 1%? 2%? I mean, not a lot of anti-gay supporters over in Big Blue.

And how many points can you potentially add from disenchanted Dems suddenly having a cause to get fired up about?

I'm suddenly getting this delicious whiff of a strategic blunder by the Republican Party.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »

Oh, and thanks to George Takei, here's the headline that was on FOXNation (FOX News' forum section) before it got yanked:

Guess I was more right than I knew.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 09, 2012, 04:26:53 pm »

It's going to be the mother of all ironies if the GOP tries to turn the November election into a culture war referendum, and it winds up being the culture wars that gets Obama re-elected, when the economy alone could have gotten Romney a shot at the White House.

Because seriously...how many points do the GOP stand to shave off Obama's numbers with this? 1%? 2%? I mean, not a lot of anti-gay supporters over in Big Blue.

And how many points can you potentially add from disenchanted Dems suddenly having a cause to get fired up about?

I'm suddenly getting this delicious whiff of a strategic blunder by the Republican Party.
Relevant numbers;

The one point it could hurt him on are black evangelicals. Losing the increased black turnout that was seen in 2008 could be a problem, especially if this doesn't serve to fire up the main body of the party enough. Unfortunately I can't find any breakdowns by race of those Gallup numbers. I'm also not sure what the exact breakdown of parties was like (usually about 30/30/40 R/D/I, but with marginally more Dems and Dem leaners right now).
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 759