Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247260 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1470 on: May 20, 2012, 11:20:54 pm »

I actually never really got the vibe of "Moment of Silence" = prayer thing, and I live in the deep south. Around here it really just started after 9/11 as a moment of remembrance. Eventually it evolved into actually to continue standing after the pledge of allegiance (another conversation to be had....) and during that time the teachers would walk around the room checking for dress code violations. Even going so far as to having students raise their arms to the ceiling to A)Check that boys' pants weren't too low and that they would stay up without help and B)Check that girls wouldn't show their midriff easily.

Can't really imagine prayer happening during that process. Although I believe now it's actually separate from the moment of silence. Also, never, ever got the feeling that I should have been praying instead. >90% of the students I observed while I sat there doing nothing, also sat there doing nothing, looking bored while the teachers all either just did paperwork or sat there doing nothing as well, looking bored.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: May 20, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »

Similarly I've never equated moments of silence to prayer. The few times I did it in school was after some sort of tragedy, and I always interpreted it more as a gesture of respect to the victims than anything religious.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: May 21, 2012, 02:16:06 am »

I think this whole "Advocation death for gay" thing is overblown. I mean, sure he's a bastard, but he just cited the "relevant" part of the Leviticus. Not his fault if you practically can't cite any part of the Old Testament without advocating the death of someone.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:12 am »

Maybe that's something you should realize when you're citing Leviticus.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:12 pm »

Another psycho pastor in North Carolina advocating death for the homosexual menace? You've got it!

Allow me to be the first to say that not everyone in North Carolina is batshit crazy. I know that's hard to believe in light of recent events, but I swear it's just the One True Christians (TM) making the rest of us look bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 21, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »

Another psycho pastor in North Carolina advocating death for the homosexual menace? You've got it!

Allow me to be the first to say that not everyone in North Carolina is batshit crazy. I know that's hard to believe in light of recent events, but I swear it's just the One True Christians (TM) making the rest of us look bad.

So he's literally  advocating "final solutions," concentration camps with electrified fences, and having "all the gays die out in a few years 'cause they can't reproduce...." This ignores where all the present gays came from given that reproduction has always been impossible in this circumstance, but then ignoring logic seems par for this course....

"You'd say, 'Did you mean to say that?' You better believe I did."

I do so love how hate speech is protected, and in this case not only not considered hate speech, but vehemently, angrily, and with shocked offense declared to be "not hate speech." I'm sorry. If someone's church teaches this, then it's just more bigotry hiding behind a religion. Look at the revulsion he expresses in that clip towards the idea of being gay.... He can literally stand up there and advocate concentration camps and attempted genocide or mass murder or whatever and just....

I don't even know. Maybe I've seen too many men like him and that's part of the reason I'm always uncomfortable/afraid around straight men. [shrugs] I am scared to death of people like that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:16:16 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 21, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »

Some comments on other sites are speculating that the pastor in this case is not, in fact, a straight man at all. It's true that there's a trend of repressed homosexuals violently projecting onto non-repressed homosexuals, so that's hardly impossible.

Anyway, Truean, you shouldn't be so afraid. People like this are definitely psycho, but by this point you have little to actually fear from straight men in America, even most of the ones who still hate people who aren't straight. The only people you should be worrying about are those who are a general threat for other reasons, i.e., psychopaths.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: May 21, 2012, 06:28:43 pm »

That still depends pretty heavily on the area MSH. Still hear about the occasional assault or murder in my area, and the former, well. They're not often psychopaths, per se. Just goddamn bigots in an area that looks the other way when shit like that happens thrown in with a little bit of groupthink (and probably beer). What's a little group beating when the target is a second class citizen ::)

It's not as bad in some areas, though, and relatively "safe" in yet others, but there's definitely still strongly justified reasons for a homosexual to fear in a lot of places in the states.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:10 pm »

I don't know. That sounds like psychopathic behavior to me, and I'd think that psychopaths would be able to operate a lot easier in a rural area where there's a kind of person that the local government doesn't particularly care about.

By the way, if you value not being paranoid, don't read up on the m.o. of your standard psychopath. It's crazy and makes you suspect everyone around you of psychopathy.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: May 21, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

Dehumanization can cause that sort of behavior without psychopathy/sociopathy/whatever. Plus there's the whole monkey sphere thing, where normal people don't empathize with others outside a small group.

So yeah, that sort of behavior can be trained by cultural influences, especially so if the person/group being attacked is someone they don't know personally.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »

So he's literally  advocating "final solutions," concentration camps with electrified fences, and having "all the gays die out in a few years 'cause they can't reproduce...." This ignores where all the present gays came from given that reproduction has always been impossible in this circumstance, but then ignoring logic seems par for this course....

As we all know, gay men develop a butterus that allows them to get pregnant, and lesbians get a... man, I can't think of a good pun for this one.

Dehumanization can cause that sort of behavior without psychopathy/sociopathy/whatever. Plus there's the whole monkey sphere thing, where normal people don't empathize with others outside a small group.

So yeah, that sort of behavior can be trained by cultural influences, especially so if the person/group being attacked is someone they don't know personally.

Yeah, they're sociopathic attitudes, just maybe not because of sociopathy specifically. The question is how to deal with crap like this, because it definitely has the ability to hurt people. I feel like free speech protections of hate speech and stuff are usually based on how words are harmless (and therefore the penalties on slander/libel), and stuff like this can definitely hurt people.

Hm... say you out some gay kid at your school and they kill themselves. There's no spying or webcams or anything, this kid just trusted you and you broke their trust. Can you get in legal trouble for this?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 21, 2012, 06:46:08 pm »

As we all know, gay men develop a butterus that allows them to get pregnant, and lesbians get a... man
I was reading it like that, and wasn't getting it (or rather, I was thinking "well, yes, that would work, but doesn't seem a very lesbian thing to do")
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »

Hm... say you out some gay kid at your school and they kill themselves. There's no spying or webcams or anything, this kid just trusted you and you broke their trust. Can you get in legal trouble for this?
It may depend on the area, but in some places "outing" someone is definitely a no-no.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »

The root problem would be the stigma against being gay, not the outing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »

I just now heard about this.
I'm getting really tired of apologizing on behalf of my state. I'm also tempted to send Pastor Goebbels a dozen deep-fried twinkies, to hasten along his death by arteriosclerosis and diabetes. Killing with kindness and all that jazz. Cause this shit aint going away until most of the old farts that feel that way are rotting in the cold, cold ground.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 759