Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10220 10221 [10222] 10223 10224 ... 10970

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12951780 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153315 on: August 29, 2020, 10:21:51 am »

So... those are Kelvin or Celsius degrees? Hahahaha

Being serious, is really impressive.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153316 on: August 30, 2020, 04:03:11 pm »

Pulled in for second "yearly" review in four months. Both of which were to fail me. Many, many people have told me they've never had a "yearly" review.

This one:
My organisation is poor in the warehouse. Their evidence: One day in which there were two deliveries and I had everything organised non-conventionally so I wouldn't have to leave product outside.

I do not talk to managers or do well with team work. Their evidence: I didn't ask a manager to advise me on aforementioned day. This, of course, ignores the fact that I didn't ask a manager because there was only one thing to do which is what I did.

As for the team work thing, they presented zero evidence. Probably because there is none. I get on with everyone. In the morning, I help the produce department get their delivery in - despite it being a different department. I help the small, old cleaning lady get her rubbish to the bins. I check in breads and bring them out on to the shop floor. I tell BWS when there's a cage waiting for them. I help other staff members with anything which isn't them being lazy. Like, every Sunday I help a fella tidy up his aisle because the managers always give him most of the work. I talk to everyone and, in the previous "yearly" review, I was complimented on being incredibly well-liked by the other staff members.

The "What are your comments concerning this assessment?" space on my form was concise and biting. The manager actually paled. This is the problem with doing whatever they ask meekly on the shop floor. They expect, just because I know that my job is to do whatever nonsense they tell me, that I'll lie down for this kind of crap. I will not. I argued every step of the way, and the manager became increasingly disturbed looking.

Didn't stop him from telling me I could lose my job, while insisting I should "Take pride in my workplace." Mate, with little vipers like you in charge, that's not happening.

I suspect internal politics - the store manager just came back from maternity leave the previous day - or a grudge carried over from my younger brother, who they literally hounded out of the shop.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153317 on: August 30, 2020, 04:16:59 pm »

Pulled in for second "yearly" review in four months. Both of which were to fail me. Many, many people have told me they've never had a "yearly" review.

This one:
My organisation is poor in the warehouse. Their evidence: One day in which there were two deliveries and I had everything organised non-conventionally so I wouldn't have to leave product outside.

I do not talk to managers or do well with team work. Their evidence: I didn't ask a manager to advise me on aforementioned day. This, of course, ignores the fact that I didn't ask a manager because there was only one thing to do which is what I did.

As for the team work thing, they presented zero evidence. Probably because there is none. I get on with everyone. In the morning, I help the produce department get their delivery in - despite it being a different department. I help the small, old cleaning lady get her rubbish to the bins. I check in breads and bring them out on to the shop floor. I tell BWS when there's a cage waiting for them. I help other staff members with anything which isn't them being lazy. Like, every Sunday I help a fella tidy up his aisle because the managers always give him most of the work. I talk to everyone and, in the previous "yearly" review, I was complimented on being incredibly well-liked by the other staff members.

The "What are your comments concerning this assessment?" space on my form was concise and biting. The manager actually paled. This is the problem with doing whatever they ask meekly on the shop floor. They expect, just because I know that my job is to do whatever nonsense they tell me, that I'll lie down for this kind of crap. I will not. I argued every step of the way, and the manager became increasingly disturbed looking.

Didn't stop him from telling me I could lose my job, while insisting I should "Take pride in my workplace." Mate, with little vipers like you in charge, that's not happening.

I suspect internal politics - the store manager just came back from maternity leave the previous day - or a grudge carried over from my younger brother, who they literally hounded out of the shop.

Sounds like it's time to find a new one; if they're going to end up getting rid of you, you should at least be prepared.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153318 on: August 30, 2020, 04:22:18 pm »

Yep, I'm already looking into a shop transfer. But I'm also not going to take it lying down. This is the same crap they pulled on my brother.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153319 on: August 30, 2020, 04:54:35 pm »

This one:

Yeah, all this "reviews", "assessments" etc that are part of the corporate culture in the UK and Ireland are burocratic bullshit to dress up a justificatiom for whatever they wanted to do in the first place. (Which yes, its usually internal politics of some shade)

I've been there. They are , unfortunately, not rare. In fact I think that "officially" all workplaces have to hold one. And talking about your goals and objectives is supposed to be part of it (if it happens: remember that anything you say can be used against you)

My favorite part of my own situation (which was a year ago) was when I was pushed into doing extra hours (by assigning me duties in said hours), and THEN used that to say I was bad at managing time because I was putting in said extra hours. You know, one of those ridiculous situations where you dont know whether to laugh or cry because of how surreal it was.

Edited to correct typos that I made because I was raging while reading your account. I kind of flash-backed to my "review" last year

Edit 2:
The "What are your comments concerning this assessment?" space on my form was concise and biting. The manager actually paled. This is the problem with doing whatever they ask meekly on the shop floor. They expect, just because I know that my job is to do whatever nonsense they tell me, that I'll lie down for this kind of crap. I will not. I argued every step of the way, and the manager became increasingly disturbed looking
Well done. Your assessment is correct: they tend to mistake compliance with other stuff with being meek or desperate. This is the way to deal with this bullshit
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:05:30 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #153320 on: August 30, 2020, 07:08:43 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153321 on: August 30, 2020, 07:14:59 pm »

There’s also the “we need to remind you who’s in charge” ones.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #153322 on: August 30, 2020, 07:15:56 pm »

There’s also the “we need to remind you who’s in charge” ones.
I thought they replaced those with a 1 to 1 milkshake about your attitude with authority

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153323 on: August 30, 2020, 07:17:18 pm »

He who has the gold makes the rules...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153324 on: August 31, 2020, 03:40:45 am »

Yes, this sums up fairly well
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153325 on: August 31, 2020, 11:36:34 am »

So I opted to buy my kid a desktop computer rather than tablet or laptop for school.

Holy crap, there are no* webcams anywhere.  And what webcams there are, have been all bought by scalpers "entrepreneurs" to be resold at ridiculous prices.

(*Well, there are some available, but I prefer to buy things where the spec sheet is in properly-translated English. I will even pay more for it if you put some care into your product!)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153326 on: August 31, 2020, 11:38:07 am »

Most webcams cannot reliably capture higher than 800x600 at 30fps ANYWAY, even TODAY, so I would suggest just hitting up Ebay.

Bazinga.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Computer-Camera-Rotatable-720P-HD-2-0-HD-Webcam-PC-Laptop-With-Microphone/303592047719?hash=item46af7f0467:g:xJ4AAOSwRzpe2Kmi

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:40:32 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153327 on: August 31, 2020, 11:45:47 am »

Just buy an extra smartphone and hook that up to the pc for a quality camera
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153328 on: August 31, 2020, 11:50:11 am »

$12.15? Seems legit!

Shipping from Asia alone should cost more than that, let alone the product itself. I'm all for a good deal, but I'm not about to give up honest commerce for it.

I'm actually half wondering if my computer can use our DSLR as a real-time input in video mode.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153329 on: August 31, 2020, 11:53:11 am »

Probably.  Webcams just use the VFW subsystem most of the time, or WIA any other time.

As long as the DSLR's realtime feed is either of those, the web conference soft would probably use it just fine.  The issue you will have, is that the feed will be too high resolution to effectively encode, and performance will be shit.

https://www.lightscameralive.com/blog/how-to-use-a-dslr-camera-to-make-your-live-video-magical

(also, that 12$ camera was not the cheapest one!  There was an older, less powerful camera that topped out at 640x480 for 9$.)
Pages: 1 ... 10220 10221 [10222] 10223 10224 ... 10970