Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244291 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1725 on: June 01, 2012, 07:53:35 am »

You'd want to keep track of biological sex for medical reasons.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 01, 2012, 07:56:04 am »

Keeping it with the census data would be useful for quite a few things, I imagine. Any sort of gender related statistics need to know totals/ratios/etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 01, 2012, 08:08:10 am »

Yeah, but if you're going to track whatever sex the person decide they are, that has no medical interest.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 01, 2012, 08:17:42 am »

There might be conditions with statistical association to such data. It's not inherently a bad idea.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:34 am »

RedKing, you really need to go to your state capital and whack 'em on the head good.

I'm not sure which is worse though....our crazy-ass, inbred legislature or the knee-jerk responses attached to that article along the lines of "Haha, stupid crazy-ass, inbred Southerners".  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:10 am »

Well, the majority of your co-Carolinian (is that even the right way to call them?) did vote for those inbred, crazy-ass politician.

But then you should know better than read internet comment, even if those on thinkprogress a relatively calm.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 01, 2012, 09:27:12 am »

College's bank deals saddles students with big fees.

As if students like myself didn't have enough to worry about; and yes, my university has a deal with TCF bank as well.  I declined because I currently bank with a credit union instead; but not everybody has that option.

As for that proposed law in North Carolina...*facepalm.*  Oh well, guess the coastal communities will just have to fall into the sea then.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 01, 2012, 09:39:38 am »

Well, the majority of your co-Carolinian (is that even the right way to call them?) did vote for those inbred, crazy-ass politician.

But then you should know better than read internet comment, even if those on thinkprogress a relatively calm.
Well, no...a plurality voted for a number of Tea Party-backed Republicans who insisted all day long that they were interested in one thing: fiscal conservatism. They said they weren't going to Raleigh to thump Bibles or legislate morality or fight the culture war.

They waited maybe a month before throwing that promise out the window and doing shit like requiring a pregnant woman to watch an ultrasound of her fetus before getting an abortion, constitutionally banning any kind of same-sex union ever, and now the latest craze (and I use that term literally) is attempting to thwart any kind of sustainability planning on the basis that it's all a UN conspiracy and "liberal" panic.

My hope is that enough North Carolinians will be disgusted at the bait-and-switch that the GOP will lose control of the state house come November. But if they don't...and we're likely to wind up with a Republican governor....*shudder* Might seriously be time to look at relocation.

@Jervill: Oh, no, no. See a lot of the properties on the Outer Banks are owned by rich people. When the sea begins to swallow up Ocracoke or Hatteras, you can damn well bet they'll be pushing the government to dump millions of tons of sand on the islands to keep them around, at taxpayer expense, so their beach house will be safe. Now the actual communities (i.e. the poor people living in the swamps), they're fucked. As usual.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: June 01, 2012, 09:45:03 am »

As if students like myself didn't have enough to worry about; and yes, my university has a deal with TCF bank as well.  I declined because I currently bank with a credit union instead; but not everybody has that option.

As for that proposed law in North Carolina...*facepalm.*  Oh well, guess the coastal communities will just have to fall into the sea then.

I'm sure there will be some GOP related privately owned new housing in preparation for the flood of new residents in inland NC.

And boy am I glad I'm not a student in the US currently. Seems like you just get fertilizers piled on top of you as the months go by.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:27 am »

I'm sure there will be some GOP related privately owned new housing in preparation for the flood of new residents in inland NC.

And boy am I glad I'm not a student in the US currently. Seems like you just get fertilizers piled on top of you as the months go by.

Yup, and the student loan rate just doubled today, June 1st because the Congress did absolutely nothing about it. From 3.4% to 6.8%.... This was in the news a few weeks ago, but frankly, then it just dropped off the radar.... I think it was because Congress had no intention of doing anything about it/the gridlock was too much. Students are basically screwed in the U.S, as it seems, are people who recently graduated. Then of course there's the people the schools blatantly lied to http://finance.yahoo.com/news/this-bright-eyed-young-man-was-utterly-demolished-by-student-loans.html . This is somehow allowed, accepted, and encouraged with some interest rates of 17%.... Nevermind that that student loan debt collectors have legal powers that would make the mob jealous.

Quite frankly, if this would've happened to mortgage rates, people would be up and arms. But, you know, since it's "just" student loan debt, fuck those kids.... :(

Quite frankly, between prisons, roads, schools, and everything else, I'm getting rather sick of this "privatization" thing. It's about time for a wave of renationalization, at least of the prisons, and probably for more things.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:32:02 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 01, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »

RedKing, you really need to go to your state capital and whack 'em on the head good.
I'm getting an absolutely hilarious mental image of the future, where NC has followed that law and all the surrounding states have built a two or so meter wall along the border. Folks sitting on top of the wall fishing where there used to be a state, now an oversized bay.

Anyone voting yes on that thing should be legally required to live in an NC costal town for the remainder of their lives :-\

Quite frankly, between prisons, roads, schools, and everything else, I'm getting rather sick of this "privatization" thing. It's about time for a wave of renationalization, at least of the prisons, and probably for more things.
Here bloody here.

'course, it won't happen because people would rather the roads and schools break down and our incarceration rate go even higher instead of pay more taxes, never mind it'd probably save them money to jack the rate a bit and provide better infrastructure and so on. Bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 01, 2012, 05:24:18 pm »

I'm getting an absolutely hilarious mental image of the future, where NC has followed that law and all the surrounding states have built a two or so meter wall along the border. Folks sitting on top of the wall fishing where there used to be a state, now an oversized bay.
Actually, even if all the ice on Earth melted, more than half of NC would still be above water. And my city would be beachfront property.  8)
Anyone voting yes on that thing should be legally required to live in an NC costal town for the remainder of their lives :-\
That is not even remotely a punishment. It would take a few decades of ice melt at the least to actually make that a punishment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1738 on: June 01, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »

meh. I bought a house with an elevation of 29 feet. I almost want the AGW deniers to be right.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 01, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »

I almost want the AGW deniers to be right.
I think everyone does.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 759