Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244302 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2565 on: August 15, 2012, 06:18:26 pm »

Yup, it's supposedly a reuters story for all the ammo stories, but it doesn't appear on the search page of reuters articles for the date it says it was published, I edited this info in.

So i'm calling it a fake. BTW the supposed author is on twitter, it would be possible to ask them about it.

Anyway looking around, it says Jason Reed is a photographer at Reuters, why would his name be on an article like this?

http://www.reuters.com/search?blob=homeland+security

Yeah, no story even vaguely like the rt.com one even if you search for the keywords.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:30:10 pm by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: August 15, 2012, 06:28:54 pm »

In the universe where I tweet and/or facebook, I just might. Still, I don't think the author of the derivative stories is the place to go.

I'll check on some alternate interpretations when I get back to the web proper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: August 15, 2012, 06:31:17 pm »

No, Jason Reed is the claimed author of the SOURCE ARTICLE. He works for Reuters. which is where they claim the story came from, which it clearly did not.

EDIT However, searching further back, around april 30, they claimed DHS was getting 450 million rounds of ammo (same or similar conspiracy sites), but looking for possibly relevant reuters articles after learning the name of the supplier:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/ATK/key-developments/article/2531368

Alliant Techsystems Inc (ATK) announced that it has received orders totaling more than $266 million for small caliber ammunition under an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract with the U.S. Army Contracting Command, Rock Island (ACC-RI). This order includes a mix of 5.56mm, 7.62mm and .50-caliber military ammunition to be produced at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, Mo. ATK has operated the Lake City plant since April 2000. The Army and ATK are nearing completion of a $276 million modernization project at the Lake City facility. This includes the capacity to increase production of the new 5.56mm Enhanced Performance Round. ATK has delivered approximately 250 million of these rounds since transitioning to production in 2010.

This says the same number of rounds and the same supplier as the later stories (the 750 million was supposedly bumped up from 450 million), but the deal was to modernize the entire stockpile of the US Army, no mention of the DHS
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:52:15 pm by Reelya »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: August 15, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »

Infowars is such a bad source that if I saw a story on both there and the BBC, I would assume the BBC was lying or in err simply because Infowars is that bad. I'm pretty sure they have some as-yet undiscovered tachyon field surrounding their articles which warps reality away from any possible future in which it would be true.

Infowars may even be advanced alien technology whose purpose is to avert a NWO takeover by writing articles about a NWO takeover which then warp reality to rule out those possible futures.

The same holds true for its clone-site PrisonPlanet of course.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:49:23 pm by alway »

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: August 15, 2012, 07:44:35 pm »

Has the imminent rise of grain prices and the utter collapse of the meat market been discussed here?
Food prices are going to get pretty high by the time winter rolls around.

Now would be the time to stock up on corn flakes and flour.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: August 15, 2012, 08:30:39 pm »

Something like 90%+ of the money you pay for most 1st world food items goes towards packaging & marketing; the price of the raw food could double, and most of us not living in abject slum-shack poverty would hardly see a change in food prices. Which is why changes in the raw food item prices overwhelmingly affect those in extreme poverty condition.

The most major thing it will contribute to is more government-toppling in 3rd world countries. The Arab Spring, if you recall, was originally about high prices for staple foods in Tunisia.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:33:00 pm by alway »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:15 pm »

Alex Jones says Martial Law in the US. WTF?
Alex Jones is retarded.

Okay, I paraphrased a bit.

Anyway, I found the source of the information, at the least: FedBizOpps.gov

The National Weather Service did indeed request 70,000 hollow-point rounds earlier this month, amending the amount several times, and finally rescinding the request and claiming it to be a clerical error, the rounds instead intended for the Marine Fisheries Service. The Department of Homeland Security has a similar order on file, which has been increased from the original amount since it was originally posted in April, to include other materials and types of rounds, as well as a provision for the continued purchase of rounds every month.

So, that much is not fabricated. I personally find it strange that they are ordering hollow point rounds, rather than practice rounds, for what they claim is target practice. I understand hollow-points behave more like regular rounds, while not being as destructive, but it is still unusual. As is the Fisheries service stockpiling anti-personnel rounds.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:40:52 pm by Solifuge »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 15, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

Marine Fisheries Service
0.o
Why the hell would they need hollowpoints? Unless they decided to do this:
"YOU'RE FISHING WITHOUT A LICENSE!" *BLAM*
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »

Park rangers and such. If your job is wandering out in the middle of nowhere, being armed would be a necessity due to bears and other predators.

Similarly, I'm not sure about clip size and such, but it's probably in the range of 20 or so per clip; which would mean 70,000 is about 1 clip for each of only about 3500 employees if they only go out with the single clip loaded in the gun. More likely, they would go out int he field with several clips of ammo (as dispensing ammo in large quantities on occasion is probably much less of a logistical hassle than dispensing bullets 1 at a time), probably putting it well under the amount to equip 1000 employees.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:55:25 pm by alway »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:12 pm »

When one’s job involves catching and investigating poachers, one knows that one will always discover one’s opponent armed. One.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »

Would that not be covered under something other than the marine fisheries service?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 15, 2012, 08:59:40 pm »

You clearly are ignorant of the perils of fish-poaching or the fully-automatic, armor-piercing weaponry employed by its perpetrators, and I have no further patience for you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

Nope; according to their wiki page, one of their primary duties is retrieval of protected species. Which would mean going onto someone's boat and/or inspecting their catch, followed by a possible confrontation if someone is found in violation of fishing regulations.

So my park ranger theory was wrong, though it seems they still need some pretty decent protection given their profession. They're basically sea-cops when it comes to poaching/overfishing.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:06 pm »

Weird, one would not normally think fish police to be a very high risk job.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: August 15, 2012, 09:06:57 pm »

Can't be too careful.  We never know when the fish will take their revenge.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 759