Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246983 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #2955 on: September 18, 2012, 02:00:52 pm »

I have to take it that you're arguing with Kaiyuu entirely for lulz then, because that's exactly his point.

Except no.

t's overkill that can seriously harm someone; that they're doing something bad (or horrific, in this case) doesn't change that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

Two words: raped ass. Rapex fails and probably causes more infections itself than rapes it prevents.

Anyway my point about rapex justifying all sorts of mangle-traps around your home and property stands. Why stop at rapist and penises? Booby-trap everything.

Burglar should have known better, i had a shot-gun trap primed.
Unfortunately the courts don't usually see it this way.

But, the burglar was doing something bad (breaking in) so it's justified to mutilate them, right? It prevented the burglary. The fact that there might have been other ways to prevent the burglary in no way makes this less justified, right?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:08:35 pm by Reelya »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:48 pm »

The point.

Your head.

We already went over the fact that this might not be worth it. The argument is about the idea that there is such a thing as overkill to stop a action.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: September 18, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »

You haven't answered any of my repeated points about why is this only limited to rape -_-

No need to be snarky.

Now you're ignoring 80% of my posts and focusing on a side point to belittle me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:11:16 pm by Reelya »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:24 pm »

Because I post my last post three minutes before you added them to your post. The time tags are right there.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2960 on: September 18, 2012, 02:11:37 pm »

Two words: raped ass. Rapex fails and probably causes more infections itself than rapes it prevents.

Anyway my point about rapex justifying all sorts of mangle-traps around your home and property stands. Why stop at rapist and penises? Booby-trap everything.

No. Your point does not stand. It explicitly fails. Laying booby traps about your home is indiscriminate. The emergency services and police have the right to enter your home without your foreknowledge and consent under certain circumstances. The only time you will have someone entering your vagina without your foreknowledge and consent is while being raped.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »

Yeeaaah. Except not. If you were reading my posts you would already know what my response to what you just said is:

That is retribution. I don't advocate excessive retribution.

The penis mangling is to stop the action. Not as punishment for doing it.

Also, we're not talking about a legal punishment here. If someone clawed or cut out an eye while trying to protect themselves from being raped, I wouldn't put much blame on them either.

Also, Cript, it isn't retribution. It can't be, as retribution is giving back for something that already happened - this is about preventing something from happening or rather, protecting oneself from something who is about to happen. Unless, of course, it was you who believed "preemptive retribution".

Burglar should have known better, i had a shot-gun trap primed.
Unfortunately the courts don't usually see it this way.

But, the burglar was doing something bad (breaking in) so it's justified to mutilate them, right? It prevented the burglary. The fact that there might have been other ways to prevent the burglary in no way makes this less justified, right?

There are many different reasons to be on somebody's house or land than burglary or crime. There are very few reasons to be in somebody's vagina, and the chances of they having a non-rape reason to be there and the woman haven't remembered to take it out is very, very small indeed.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: September 18, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »

Agreement with Nadaka.

Also, we're not talking about a legal punishment here. If someone clawed or cut out an eye while trying to protect themselves from being raped, I wouldn't put much blame on them either.

Also, Cript, it isn't retribution. It can't be, as retribution is giving back for something that already happened - this is about preventing something from happening or rather, protecting oneself from something who is about to happen. Unless, of course, it was you who believed "preemptive retribution".

Actually. That was in fact me. And what the fuck are you saying? The penis mangler is not retribution. Of course not. I have said that before. My whole point stands on it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:54 pm »

The lot of you are sorta' strawmanning. According to the article, the device is designed, specifically, to not mangle. Cause pain, yes, and constructed in such a way that getting it off without assistance is apparently extremely difficult, but the thing was specifically stated to not break skin.
Quote from: from the snopes page, relevant part underlined
Once it lodges, only a doctor can remove it — a procedure Ehlers hopes will be done with authorities on standby to make an arrest. "It hurts, he cannot pee and walk when it's on," she said. "If he tries to remove it, it will clasp even tighter ... however, it doesn't break the skin, and there's no danger of fluid exposure."
So, maybe pull that bit of emphasis back a bit? Or at least divorce that bit of hyperbole from the actual device?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:23:09 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: September 18, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »

Ah. Sorry. It's just, I can't really remember the name of it very well. And Penis mangler sounds so much better.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »

Obviously, if the woman left the rapex in and it injured her gynecologist, she'd be at fault. The same as if the homeowner's booby-trap injured a police officer by mistake. The main difference you've stated is the likeliness of collateral harm.

But the basis of the rapex being legitimate, is that we have a legal right to booby-trap things in such a way that potential criminals will be physically harmed if they attempt to commit the crime.  Your only criteria given so far is that the booby-trap be discriminating enough to almost only ever harm criminals.

Given that you could booby-trap your house in some discerning way, how much harm would be acceptable to inflict on a burglar?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: September 18, 2012, 02:25:33 pm »

The argument is about the idea that there is such a thing as overkill to stop a action.
Ah okay, I see where you're coming from then. Allow me to clarify:

When I said "overkill" in this scenario, I wasn't comparing the rape to the penis mangling, but the penis mangling to other forms of rape prevention. My comparison to booby traps was intended to convey that there are more reasonable ways to protect yourself. In the case of home invasion, regular ol' security alarms. In the case of rape prevention... well actually I'll just quote myself from earlier:
Ultimately I'd probably find it acceptable if all the other good practices for rape prevention are in place and it's just an added layer of protection.
I can be overkill. I can be acceptable. It's kinda on the border for me, and I'd consider the situation of the person fearing being raped before really saying one way or the other (and if you force me to make a generalized statement I'd probably say it's fine).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:28:37 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:44 pm »

Obviously, if the woman left the rapex in and it injured her gynecologist, she'd be at fault.
The thing can't break the skin. I seriously doubt it would be a big deal, even if he was shortsighted enough to stick his finger in it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: September 18, 2012, 02:29:33 pm »

Well it's a booby trap. A good one wouldn't be noticed beforehand, maybe even by a gynecologist.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: September 18, 2012, 02:30:32 pm »

Reelya.

You need to learn, or at least acknowledge the difference in scale.

A gynecologist in danger? Really?

More importantly, rape is in a whole other level of crimes then burglary. Hell, burglary can be justified. Rape is always a terrifyingly evil action.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 759