Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247202 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #4260 on: December 15, 2012, 03:26:25 pm »

Why not just decouple it from the author entirely? 20 years, dead or alive. Maybe even less.
Because that would be simple, rational, and benefit all mankind. The only allowable copyright reform is to make is increasingly destructive to the public good.  ::)

I just think there's some form of bureaucratic or political aversion to making things simpler. I'm not big into how things work, but there never seems be be something along the lines of "Just scrap what we're doing right now and do it again from scratch", instead it's just tacking more things ontop of eachother until it's a labyrinthine mess whose original intentions are obfuscated by generation after generation of tinkering and revisions.

Its because a lot of policy (at least in democratic nations) is the result of some compromise politicians made with their opponents or lobbyists.  If its in there someone probably has a strong stake in making sure it remains the way it is.  If you start cutting swathes of policy, you start stepping on people's toes.  In the case of copyright law, its corporations that make boatloads of money from milking the same IPs for decades.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4261 on: December 17, 2012, 11:23:21 am »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: December 17, 2012, 11:28:10 am »

Considering that's the same page where there were petitions for and against building a death star by 2016, I doubt it'll matter.

What did they do wrong anyway. I don't follow American cults.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: December 17, 2012, 11:34:45 am »

Considering that's the same page where there were petitions for and against building a death star by 2016, I doubt it'll matter.

What did they do wrong anyway. I don't follow American cults.

They harass and intimidate people who are grieving at funerals with hate and damnation. They hate the gays, and the muslims, and the government, and pretty much everything and everyone.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: December 17, 2012, 11:35:58 am »

They aren't a cult, they are a business built to abuse the law to separate people from their money, and they make their money through antagonism and harassment that fall juuuust this side of legal, followed by suing those who respond in a questionably legal manner in response. Their dominate tactic recently is picketing the funerals of people who've been killed in terrible tragedies, to get the family members so upset and enraged that they engage in some sort of violence against the group and they can pull off a big payday by adding insult to injury.

It's doubtful they actually hate everyone - but acting like they has proven incredibly profitable.

Currently, they are picketing the funerals for the Connecticut kids.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09:53 pm »

No, they're really a cult. They're also really abusing the law for their benefit.

That their feelings are genuine are made clear by the defectors. One of their kids (now an atheist) talked about how Phelps would tear his wife's hair out and beat all of his children with an axe handle for "displeasing god".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: December 17, 2012, 12:15:56 pm »

No, they're really a cult. They're also really abusing the law for their benefit.

That their feelings are genuine are made clear by the defectors. One of their kids (now an atheist) talked about how Phelps would tear his wife's hair out and beat all of his children with an axe handle for "displeasing god".

AKA, why I am an atheist.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: December 17, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »

beat all of his children with an axe handle
If only once he did it with the other end, we'd get rid of several problems at once! :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:07:52 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: December 17, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »

You can remove the axe head, which is what he did. As I recall, he actually gave them bone fractures with it more than once.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:51 pm »

4 posts before a Holier-Than-Thou less-Holy-than-thou post.

Got to be a record.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: December 17, 2012, 01:28:28 pm »

4 posts before a Holier-Than-Thou less-Holy-than-thou post.

Got to be a record.

Dude, Nadaka and his mother (and sister?) escaped from a violent Christian church (and the only reason I do not use sect here is because he has not made clear how sect-like it was) themselves, so it is literally why he is an atheist.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: December 17, 2012, 02:10:14 pm »

You can remove the axe head, which is what he did. As I recall, he actually gave them bone fractures with it more than once.
They also aren't allowed to use the toilet by themselves until they were adults, IIRC.
What?? Was Phelps scared that toilet-goblin babysnatchers would suck them to hell.

More realistically, it's some perverse anti-masturbation thing I think. Your whole life without letting one off? I can see how I'd be enraged too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: December 17, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »

I know some (marginally) less crazy people will limit their children to five minute cold showers for the same reason.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revoke-tax-exempt-status-westboro-baptist-church-re-classify-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/tNVz4V7Q

oh. This one would actually productive at shutting down the westboro baptist church is it was actually acted on. Declaring them a hate group will probably have little effect, but removing their  tax exempt status will hit them in the pocket book.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »

Declaring them a hate group will probably have little effect, but removing their  tax exempt status will hit them in the pocket book.
It's the same reason they're trying to ban the German Nazi party[1] right now: You can't make these people better, but you can limit their potential to do harm by taking away their money and putting them in gulags prison, if possible.
Maybe a more general law should be passed, one that prevents any person or organizations that endorse views that are against the fundamental principles of the state from receiving government aid and lowering the barriers for preventive action, i.e. bans and penalties.

[1]: No, not that one; it's called NPD, and if you ever see one of them, kick them in the head until they stop moving.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 759