Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246977 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #5460 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:00 pm »

SalmonGod, I really would like to see a shitload of people brought up on warcrimes trials for things like that. But it will never happen, because we are the victor.

Euld, this surprises you? Its well known that the GOP doesn't believe in the constitution.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: April 03, 2013, 12:53:51 pm »

North Carolina Republican lawmakers introduced a bill to create a state-wide religion.  The lawmakers argue that federal laws concerning religion only affect the federal government o_O  lulwat.
Gaaaaaaahhhh! I am *squeezing* the *juice*!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:56 pm »

I know the Republicans are a little fruity sometimes and certainly try to push religion into government, but I honestly don't expect them to outright ignore the Constitution while saying all the time that they believe in the Constitution and then essentially promoting treason that echos the rhetoric of the Civil War.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5463 on: April 03, 2013, 01:10:10 pm »

North Carolina Republican lawmakers introduced a bill to create a state-wide religion.  The lawmakers argue that federal laws concerning religion only affect the federal government o_O  lulwat.
Gaaaaaaahhhh! I am *squeezing* the *juice*!
The constitution: Rip, tear, burn.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5464 on: April 03, 2013, 01:16:53 pm »

I know the Republicans are a little fruity sometimes and certainly try to push religion into government, but I honestly don't expect them to outright ignore the Constitution while saying all the time that they believe in the Constitution and then essentially promoting treason that echos the rhetoric of the Civil War.

This does not surprise me at all. At least half of their platform is about saying one thing and meaning or doing the exact opposite. Religious freedom? Tax Reform? Right to work? Economic liberty? Job Creator? These all mean the exact opposite of any rational definition when said by a republican.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: April 03, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »

I don't know. Trying to distort what the constitution says ("freedom of religions are just for Christian religions") is one thing, but actually attempting to create a state religion? Pretty surprising to me. You'd think that with America's history that would put the warning bells on EXTREME HIGH ALERT WHAT IS THIS to even the most stereotyped republican.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: April 03, 2013, 01:27:44 pm »

SalmonGod, I really would like to see a shitload of people brought up on warcrimes trials for things like that. But it will never happen, because we are the victor.

Yeah.  I don't really know how to express how much this bothers me.  It's a failure on every level of international law and every noble principle society is supposed to stand for that nothing will ever be done about this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: April 03, 2013, 01:28:08 pm »

Going back to the good old American days of freedom and liberty and awesomesauce.

Yay Puritans!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:25 pm »

I don't know. Trying to distort what the constitution says ("freedom of religions are just for Christian religions") is one thing, but actually attempting to create a state religion? Pretty surprising to me. You'd think that with America's history that would put the warning bells on EXTREME HIGH ALERT WHAT IS THIS to even the most stereotyped republican.
Truth be told, this probably isn't going to go anywhere and is just a result of the NC government's Republican supermajority thinking they can do whatever they want.

Still makes me want a vote of no confidence, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: April 03, 2013, 01:35:13 pm »

Unless they really don't give a shit about anything but pushing their own agenda, and have no respect for anything that doesn't further that agenda.  Then it's not very surprising at all.  I think their leadership is pretty well aware of when they're distorting the meaning of things and sound stupid for doing it, but it's strategically better to sound stupid than to sound like you're actively interested in subverting the founding values of your country.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: April 03, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »

Warning: Conservative's opinion!

I wonder if this bill is set up as a foil to the one that prohibits any use of religious sentiments in the political process?  Perhaps the idea is to make it sound so far-fetched that it will never survive, then use that lack of survival to point out the all-encompassing nature of the ban on religious sentiments that is being proposed (the striking of all references to a deific blessing on proceedings, for instance).  Taking the above as a viable hypothesis, I'd wonder if there weren't a deeper strategy to cause some reference to religion to stay in political rhetoric because it is such a viable technique to sway large numbers of voters one way or the other when any other options are less agreeable?  "First and last, grab em by their emotions!"
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: April 04, 2013, 06:45:55 am »

I wonder if this bill is set up as a foil to the one that prohibits any use of religious sentiments in the political process? 

Eh? Do you mean the first amendment as read under current federal case law?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:20:49 am by palsch »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: April 04, 2013, 07:11:29 am »

Yup, that other "bill" is called the Constitution of the United States Of America.

This is in response, not to a bill or a "new" law, but to a lawsuit being pursued on Constitutional grounds. That's just as legally legit as e.g. prosecuting a murderer for breaking the existing law against murder.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:16:38 am by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:18 am »

Every part of me being wants for somebody to introduce the exact same bill with 'Christian' replaced with 'Muslim' and watch the mushroom clouds of pure rage blot out the sky.

And they wouldn't even notice the irony...

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:43 am »

Greater Manchester Police will be recording attacks on members of subcultures as hatecrimes.

This doesn't change the legal definition of hatecrime in the UK ("offences against race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity") or how the police treat such crimes, just that the statistics will be recorded.
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 759