Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247090 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6285 on: July 12, 2013, 11:44:37 am »

Unrelated to any discussion currently going on:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/context-and-variation/2013/06/29/men-menopause-evolution/
The amount of sarcasm and vitriol in that started making me nauseated.

Looks like standard satire to me.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: July 12, 2013, 11:49:55 am »

Of which I tend to not be a fan, even if I agree with the real message.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: July 12, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »

On the other hand, working in a factory means a more-or-less steady income. And it help the whole country climb the technological ladder. Just look at China, 20 years ago, they were making cheap shirts, now...
..they keep making cheap shirts. You forget that most of the Chinese population still has dismal standards of living. Including those living in high-tech areas. Consider the suicide rate of the iPhone manufacturers.

Not that I'm defending subsistence farming, mind you. A nation needs industry to develop it's standards of living. But I'll be damned if I accept sweatshop practices as "moral" based on some misguided "white man's burden". Fact is, their living standard is about as bad as that of the peasants, and deserves no sugarcoating.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6288 on: July 12, 2013, 12:51:45 pm »

I don't think its necessary to repeat all the worst mistakes of the industrial revolution in order to modernize a nation. There are not plenty of prior examples to build upon, all it takes is some perspective and innovation.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6289 on: July 12, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »

Good news everyone! If you ever need to fire someone, just say its because you might be attracted to them later and start an affair with them (at least in Iowa anyway).

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/iowas-all-male-supreme-court-firing-of-woman-for-being-too-attractive-was-legal.php?ref=fpblg
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6290 on: July 12, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »

Unrelated to any discussion currently going on:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/context-and-variation/2013/06/29/men-menopause-evolution/
The amount of sarcasm and vitriol in that started making me nauseated.
They're just picking at the sociologists who keep insisting on abandoning biology about humans for some reason. Biology just wants some love... Your biology says so.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: July 12, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

... apparently in a particular building/area of the Texas capital, and only for people attending a particular public speaking event.

It's still more than a little ridiculous, but less so than it seemed to begin with. They're apparently "just" confiscating stuff that's likely to be thrown at the speaker.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: July 12, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

Like emergency glucose packets that people with diabetes carry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: July 12, 2013, 05:16:33 pm »

It's still more than a little ridiculous, but less so than it seemed to begin with. They're apparently "just" confiscating stuff that's likely to be thrown at the speaker.
Because throwing tampons and glucose packets is respectless, but shooting the speaker with a gun is a fair shot?  ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: July 12, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »

Let's also make sure that they're confiscating condoms, right?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: July 12, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »

Absolutely. I mean imagine someone had thrown a condom at Gabby Giffords. Horrifying.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: July 12, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »

Well I mean, it's not like they're trying to keep women out of the hearing.  Gotta make sure that they confiscate all the male senators' condoms, just to be safe.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:07 pm »

Clearly the individuals in question have never tried throwing a sanitary towel. Thier low mass and high surface area mean they do not fly well, and dont "thwack" well even if you hit your target.

Source: Blasting them today with a high pressure gas cannon. Turns out they were the same size as my launch tube.
This is a blank sig.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »

Well I mean, it's not like they're trying to keep women out of the hearing.  Gotta make sure that they confiscate all the male senators' condoms, just to be safe.
Oh, I didn't even get that aspect. I'm not too familiar with the process of American lawmaking, but they are trying to prevent female protesters from somehow delaying the vote. That's what you mean, right?
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 759