Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247620 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6810 on: July 27, 2013, 04:04:12 pm »

... almost makes me wonder if there's not room for some kind of p2p program that does what things like facebook do, just on an ad-hoc sort of level. Kinda' like an IRC room or whatev's, just maintaining them with something along the lines of what torrents do and with facebook-style functionality. Makes me wish I could code, ha. Might be an interesting experiment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6811 on: July 27, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »

Ther've been a few different attempts to do such, but I don't think any of them have accomplished much.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: July 27, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »

One open question to the people here: do you feel that, the closer that you get (professionally) to the "greats" in your daily work, the less "great" they seem?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: July 27, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »

One open question to the people here: do you feel that, the closer that you get (professionally) to the "greats" in your daily work, the less "great" they seem?

Hmm... I've hung out in the same communiies with some world-class artists.  Received comments on my work from people I respect and had them respond when I commented on theirs.  I think the opposite has been true for me.  The closer I get, the more amazing their level of ability and talent seems to me.  I see how easily amazing work flows from their hands and know that I have a long way to go.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: July 27, 2013, 04:25:06 pm »

Me?  Definitely no.  A world-class mathematician is so high into the stratosphere that you can't tell the distance from you except in how he or she approaches the little things, you know, the stuff that's on your personal level.  Getting close to see the technique on the basics... ah, that's a marvel.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: July 27, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »

... almost makes me wonder if there's not room for some kind of p2p program that does what things like facebook do, just on an ad-hoc sort of level. Kinda' like an IRC room or whatev's, just maintaining them with something along the lines of what torrents do and with facebook-style functionality. Makes me wish I could code, ha. Might be an interesting experiment.
You mean... an internet forum? :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: July 27, 2013, 04:55:13 pm »

I hang out here to meet people, too, but frankly the selectivity of Facebook is very helpful in terms of combing down data.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: July 27, 2013, 04:57:08 pm »

...you see, I'm kind of disappointed with my boss. I don't share the raw (and not wholly undeserved) hatred my mates have for him (..I get along reasonably well), and now that the initial conflict (which I won) has somewhat settled down, I can see that all things being said, he's a pretty good clinician. But damn, the flaws... oh man. Not going to go into that, as I already commented on the Resident Revolution elsewhere.

It saddens me, really. I was bordering hero-worship before this mess...

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: July 27, 2013, 04:58:32 pm »

In terms of being total tools, the greats in my field are famous for being eccentric and a little nasty, so I can't say that was really a surprise or disappointment either.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: July 28, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »

"The Charitable-Industrial Complex".

Please read this fantastic article.  It is a treasure.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »

In terms of being total tools, the greats in my field are famous for being eccentric and a little nasty, so I can't say that was really a surprise or disappointment either.

Mot of the "great" living Physicists that I have met have been kind of dull TBH, and overly absorbed in thier work, but I suppose thats how have to be if you want to end up at the top of the tree in Physics. All of them save for Dame Professor Jocelyn Bell-Burnett. Meeting her was a total joy as she was a total nutter and a really nice person to boot. I have never met Hawking and probably never will no matter how hard I try, but his twitter feed is hilarious.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:52 pm »

Can't, NY Times doesn't load for me anymore, with the exception of Nate Silver's blog. That site is evil.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »

Have a pastebin dump of the article, then. Site's terrible for me, too, if I don't turn off plugins and javascript. Most news sites are, bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: July 28, 2013, 12:42:38 pm »

I guess it wasn't just my imagination. :<

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:11 pm »

Not that i have an enormous amount of experience/contact, but I'm a little doubtful of guilt-washing being a primary/common purpose amongst wealthy donors. I'll admit this does seem to be a reasonable inclination to how the winds blowing, though I'd like to examine the mysteriously secluded pivot under the cockerel. If i may ask, how did you hear about this?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 759