Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247184 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #6885 on: July 31, 2013, 10:18:04 am »

So no-one posting about the Manning verdict?

To be honest the reporting has been atrocious so not that surprising. Only a couple of things are clear;

1) He was found not guilty of the most serious charge, aiding the enemy.

2) He was found guilty on all other charges.

That's the point where it gets murkier. Manning had originally been charged with 22 separate charges. He had plead guilty to ten charges and, reportedly, had these pleas accepted (despite them not being part of a bargain).

But some reports about the verdict are now saying the Judge accepted two pleas. It's not clear that (or how) she could do this, given there were only ten pleas on the table and she had reportedly already accepted them all. I don't believe those charges were contested at all during the trial, so it would make no sense to reverse the acceptance. It may be that she has read as lower crimes two charges, either treating the other either pleas as the original charges or reducing two of the other 12 charges.

And on that note every single article is talking about him being found guilty on 20 counts, not-guilty on one. That leaves one from the original 22 counts. Only thing I can think of is his original plea lumping two of the charges together.

The end result still looks like a potential maximum of 126-136 years of jail (again, sources are split on this). I'm still an advocate of giving him time served in recognition of his treatment, but reportedly the judge has already ruled that the abuse is only worth a reduction of 122 days (IIRC).

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6886 on: July 31, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »

My opinion on the verdict: Well, we won't burn the rubble but we will still knock your house down and bury it. /tinyvictoryismicroscopic

So many verdicts on military guilty of all sorts of shit getting just a few years, or nothing... and Manning is likely to get 30+ 'actual time', if not life.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: July 31, 2013, 05:45:27 pm »

My opinion on the verdict: Well, we won't burn the rubble but we will still knock your house down and bury it. /tinyvictoryismicroscopic

So many verdicts on military guilty of all sorts of shit getting just a few years, or nothing... and Manning is likely to get 30+ 'actual time', if not life.

As he very well should get. Throw his ass in Leavenworth for fifty years minus 122 days. I definitely think that his actions qualified as aiding the enemy (because really? He didn't think that AQ knew internet?), but I definitely think that the political justification in protecting whistle-blowers should overcome it. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: July 31, 2013, 06:35:34 pm »

Funny, I doubt you'd hold the traitors in government right now to the same standards, despite overwhelming evidence at the number of innocent people they've killed in their lawbreaking. Or is this something you believe should happen generally?

Because Manning isn't being prosecuted for breaking laws so much as for making the government look bad, and it's pretty damn obvious to everyone. There's been no evidence his leaks got anyone killed except insofar as they set off the Arab Spring, unlike the daily fuckery that happens in your branch of the government and gets brushed under the rug where murdering innocents is a matter of policy, because our once proud military has been reduced to little more than sniveling cowards in the face of the modern days oh-so-scary-except-not-really-compared-to-history threats.

"Aiding the enemy" is a very specific charge, and it frankly boggles my mind that you think he could possibly be guilty of it. None of his actions were remotely close to meeting the criteria there-of.

This isn't to say I disagree with the idea that those who act to undermine our country shouldn't get lengthy sentences. But Manning is pretty much at the back of the line for the list of folks who actually deserve it. And regardless of anything else, he did us, the Citizens of the United State, a significant favour. That's more than plenty of people in the military can say.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:51:04 pm by GlyphGryph »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: July 31, 2013, 07:11:46 pm »

I'd love to, but they're not the ones on trial, are they? When a law gets broken there should be judgement, and there's damn sure a difference between whistle blowing and leaking.

Also, no offense to you, GlyphGryph, but you have no fucking idea of the amount of trouble *my* branch of the fucking government goes through. Guess what the Army faces *these* fucking days. A situation where we're expected not to be just soldiers. Where *my* fucking job isn't to use the best armor platform in the world to kill the enemies of our country with fire, maneuver, and the shock effect of heavy armor.

I'm supposed to be able to act like a tanker, *and* I'm supposed to be able to be an infantry man clearing rooms. Plus, I've got to be able to act like I'm intelligence noticing the million and one fucking things that might be important at the company and higher levels. Besides that, I've got to make nice with a population, some of whom would damn sure like to kill me, and never knowing when one of the fuckers is going to try.

This is cliche, but you want to talk about our what terrifies our once proud military? Go draw a fucking rifle and stand at a post. Don't worry about getting trained or anything, though. There's not the money or time for it these days, in a downsizing army that cares much for the public perception and fighting *either* the doctrinal or low intensity conflict war.

Which do you pick, GlyphGryph, 50 dead marines or 500 dead Iraqis? Because that's what the question comes down to, time and time again. You want to tell soldiers in the field to risk their life, and more importantly, the guy on their left and right's life, because we're trying to complete a mission that's ridiculously complex.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: July 31, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »

Except if there were more people like Manning, we wouldn't be in the fucking mess in Iraq. It wouldn't be a miserable fucking choice we'd have to actually make. The government lies to it's people, and someone reveals the truth, something that could and arguably HAS saved the lives of your comrades by having turned public opinion in some small part against our retarded wars, and you call him a traitor?

That's some fucking gratitude.

Our military budgets bigger than it ever was - you want to complain, don't complain about people like Manning - if there were more people like him, perhaps "public perception" would keep you guys protecting our country instead of sending you off to kill and get killed for no fucking purpose at all.

Here's a question for you - Imagine you were in Manning's place, except it's the lead up to the Iraq war. You have information you know or at least strongly suspect will turn public opinion against the war. Do you release it, knowing you'll be saving the lives of your comrades, protecting your country and it's people from an incredibly waste of money and lives, saving countless innocent civilians in the process?

Or do you stay obedient to your bosses?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:30:12 pm by GlyphGryph »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: July 31, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »

50 dead marines or 500 dead Iraqis?

Idealy, neither group would have to die as we should have never gone there in the first place. But to be blunt, I cant think of a reason why a marines life should have a greater value then 10 Iraqis (or one Iraqi)...

You want to tell soldiers in the field to risk their life

Did GlyphGryph ever actually want to tell soldiers to risk their life?

Dont get me wrong though. I think Manning should be prosecuted for any laws he has broken (our society is based on Rule of law afterall). Although I also think there is a strong bias in the US government against him.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: July 31, 2013, 07:39:26 pm »

I haven't exactly been paying attention to the Manning case, and the guy released a lot of files, how exactly did he endanger people's lives with these leaks?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »

Except if there were more people like Manning, we wouldn't be in the fucking mess in Iraq.

100% exactly this.  You are in those fucked up situations because leaders are corrupt or incompetent and the public is kept in the dark.  People like Manning are exactly what it takes to change that.

I also have little sympathy for you.  Is it not what you expected?  Has there ever been any point in history where military service was a simple matter of being handed destructive power and told where to point it?

And U.S. intelligence's very own reports have concluded that Manning's leaks posed no threat to anybody, plus he did not just randomly dump that content on the internet like people always try to say he did.  He handed it over to a journalist organization specifically designed to facilitate whistleblowing, and that organization then collaborated with several other reputable journalists on filtering & redacting the data to be released responsibly.  Someone else then broke the encryption on the archive, which resulted in the mass dumping of information, and that was not Manning's fault whatsoever.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: July 31, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »

It's not the Army's job to affect public opinion. It's our job to enforce the orders we're giving. Yeah, they're two cluster fucks of wars, one justified, one probably not. And I'll even agree to you. Men in uniforms should have fallen on their swords and resigned before we went there, but, at the end of the day, we're not responsible for those orders. Look at a government that's trying to nation build.

I'll damn straight complain about Manning. He certainly risked or cost lives with his actions. You want to whistle blow? Fuck, I wouldn't have a problem with the so-called Collateral Murder video. But, there's a difference between whistleblowing and releasing a metric-fuck ton of whatever you can get your hands on. Moreover, what he did right there (and what Snowden did for the non-uniformed agencies) is shoot every intelligence analyst in the foot. Open share of information because we can trust a very professional workforce? Nopes. We've got a world where second guessing things that people don't understand is a religion.

Now, in your hypothetical, I would duly move that information up to my seniors, unless I had reason to believe they were breaking the law. In that case, I would use my rights as a soldier to bring the issue up to the next level in the chain of command that I trust. If I believed that the whole system was utterly corrupt, I'd consider bringing evidence or that corruption to relevant media. I damn sure wouldn't spend my days in Iraq harvesting files for Assange.

Here's the thing that, quite frankly, you probably can't understand. Once the chain of command that orders everything in the military breaks down, everything goes to hell. You don't *get* to do your own thing in the military.

50 dead marines or 500 dead Iraqis?

Idealy, neither group would have to die as we should have never gone there in the first place. But to be blunt, I cant think of a reason why a marines life should have a greater value then 10 Iraqis (or one Iraqi)...

Okay, do you pick 50 dead marines, currently pinned down or dropping the airstrike that'd rescue them at the fifty percent risk of 50 dead Iraqis?

Except, replace every 50 with a black box, because there's no way to know, and even if you manage to get everyone out alive, you'll still be crucified for "collateral damage" because one of the MRAP's took down a telephone pole trying to get away.

Except if there were more people like Manning, we wouldn't be in the fucking mess in Iraq.

100% exactly this.  You are in those fucked up situations because leaders are corrupt or incompetent and the public is kept in the dark.  People like Manning are exactly what it takes to change that.

I also have little sympathy for you.  Is it not what you expected?  Has there ever been any point in history where military service was a simple matter of being handed destructive power and told where to point it?

And U.S. intelligence's very own reports have concluded that Manning's leaks posed no threat to anybody, plus he did not just randomly dump that content on the internet like people always try to say he did.  He handed it over to a journalist organization specifically designed to facilitate whistleblowing, and that organization then collaborated with several other reputable journalists on filtering & redacting the data to be released responsibly.  Someone else then broke the encryption on the archive, which resulted in the mass dumping of information, and that was not Manning's fault whatsoever.

What? Giving out classified information to third parties *damn* sure makes it his fault.

Edit: cleaned up the formatting, left everything else the same.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:07:42 pm by Strife26 »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: July 31, 2013, 08:02:21 pm »

He certainly risked or cost lives with his actions.
How.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: July 31, 2013, 08:04:52 pm »

Because he released battlefield reports that gave the enemy insight into our TTP's. These wars have been characterized by a continuous we-learn, they-learn counter-measure, change strategy, counter-measure process.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: July 31, 2013, 08:15:12 pm »

Okay, do you pick 50 dead marines, currently pinned down or dropping the airstrike that'd rescue them at the fifty percent risk of 50 dead Iraqis?

If you mean a choice between: a 100% chance of 50 dead marines of you do nothing, or a 0% chance of dead marines and a 50% chance of killing 50 Iraqis, I would pick the latter -  it has a smaller probability of death.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »

I think you're somewhat missing the point, Strife.  It's not really about bashing soldiers because they ended up killing 200 Iraqi civilians as part of their mission, and more about questioning whether we should be in Iraq at all if killing hundreds of Iraqi civilians on a regular basis is an inevitable part of being there.  If the military/government hides things like the actual Iraq death toll (and there's strong evidence to suggest they did) and there's no legal protection for whistleblowing, how is the public supposed to make an informed decision on whether the war is worth fighting, and what incentive do the people perpetrating these terrible acts have to stop doing them?  The same applies for the leaks about covering up child abuse in Afghanistan, the collateral murder video and all the other awful shit that Manning's leaks have brought to light.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: July 31, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »

If the military/government hides things like the actual Iraq death toll (and there's strong evidence to suggest they did)

There wasn't even an official death toll before the release of the war logs.  Military officials denied for years that they kept any records of casualties.  Most ridiculous claim ever, but what could anyone do about that from the outside?  Then the war logs come out and sure enough... blatant lies.  And it's not hard to see why.  Their own records show the vast majority of casualties to be Iraqi civilians, which is pretty stunning when you take into account just how amazingly broad the military's definition of a combatant is.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 759