Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246933 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7125 on: August 07, 2013, 07:33:11 am »

Anti-nuclear people always focus on the fact that it failed. Never mind the fact that even despite the stupid problem of backup generators being forced offline, nor that the plant withstood 45 times the safety standards it was supposed to withstand...

But not even 1 time the safety standard it needed ;)

I think this is less of 'nuclear power is inherently bad' and more of 'under funding your infrastructure to the point where it becomes susceptible to disasters is inherently bad'
Plan and pay carefully for your worst case situation, and these things become a lot less of an issue.

No, it's "nuclear power isn't inherently bad" but "the human element makes nuclear plants and inherently bad idea". Because things will always go wrong.

Personally I'm much more against the continuation of using half-century old reactors with outdated safety standards, engineering and archi-tech-ture than I am against nuclear power in itself.
Love, scriver~

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7126 on: August 07, 2013, 07:39:43 am »

Kinda ironic that anti-nuclear people actually help cause nuclear problems. Eg, due to protests newer, stronger reactors cannot be built, and old reactors are kept running because we still need to substantial energy provided by said old reactors to fuel our civilization.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: August 07, 2013, 07:47:28 am »

Besides, which energy corporation is going to invest in updating a reactor, when there not certain whether it'll still run tomorrow.

Second gen reactors are designed to survive for 80 years, provided they get a midlife update, and proper maintenance.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:17 am »

Things don't always go wrong. We only had two nuclear catastrophe in the history of nuclear power. On of them hasn't killed anyone yet except for that old worker that died of heatstroke in his combination, and the other has a death toll of a few thousands at most (The official death toll being a whooping 41).

The thing is, a nuclear catastrophe kill less people that a normally operating oil or coal plant.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: August 07, 2013, 07:52:08 am »

Chernobyl's true effects are beyond our ability to measure. Radiation signatures from the plant showed up as far away as Alabama, if I recall correctly. And people get cancer all the time. It might have been the catalyst for many more deaths than we measured, or it might not have gone beyond the official count. There's just no telling.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7130 on: August 07, 2013, 07:56:10 am »

Besides, which energy corporation is going to invest in updating a reactor, when there not certain whether it'll still run tomorrow.

Second gen reactors are designed to survive for 80 years, provided they get a midlife update, and proper maintenance.
Energy is state-ran here. The gov't has expressed regrets multiple times that protests from residents have prevented it from building more new reactors and hazardous waste disposal facilities. Korea's stable granite structures are probably perfect for building nuclear waste facilities.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: August 07, 2013, 08:09:46 am »

MSH: Detecting a signature is as easy as finding some isotopes from the right period. As long as some radionucleotides found their way into the stratosphere, you'll be able to detect the event all over the planet. You can detect the nuclear test in the same way. It just prove the quality of current analysis technique.

Now, as I said, the current official body count is 41: 26 of the clean-up crew that died through direc radiation exposure, and 15 thyroid cancer. It's estimated a total of 4000 people will die eventually. Now, even if that count is off by a factor of ten, that's still less than a normal year for coal.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: August 07, 2013, 08:19:52 am »

I'm not exactly defending coal over here. It's even worse than oil.

All I'm saying is that we should keep in mind the possibility of a heretofore unrealized nightmare scenario that Chernobyl came closest to. The track record of nuclear plants are great, but if private industries operating them were not watched and regulated as closely as they are the risk of such a scenario occurring would increase drastically. We are going to more or less have to employ a greater number of nuclear plants in the future, which will in turn strengthen the industry's political pull, which in turn will put us at risk of creating an iron triangle like that which exists with fossil fuels today.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:24:54 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:45 am »

Chernobyl's true effects are beyond our ability to measure. Radiation signatures from the plant showed up as far away as Alabama, if I recall correctly. And people get cancer all the time. It might have been the catalyst for many more deaths than we measured, or it might not have gone beyond the official count. There's just no telling.
Statistics, and comparable events and dosises. If Tsernobyl had the effects that greenpeace claims it has, then television would've killed just as many. Radiation levels are comparable after all. The dosages from the incident were pretty low, mostly because they were spread out so much. Only dangerous if you happened to ingest large amounts of radiation, which is rather unlikely to occur away from the place of the incident.

Besides, researchers are capable of determining the reactor and source of the material by the composition and state of the various isotopes. Nuclear science is quite advanced.

Edit: Btw, the reason that greenpeace and the like get million death numbers is because they intentionally (ab)use a calculation method intended for high dosages and short times, as opposed to small dosages over long time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:23 am »

AFAIK Chernobyl (surprisingly enough) has not led to a leukemia peak, so things are a bit optimistic in that regard.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:23 am »

It did cause a lot of thyroid cancer that would have been easily preventable (Hand out iodine tablets to everyone), but thyroid cancer got like a 95% survival rate.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: August 07, 2013, 10:05:39 am »

There's all the kids that are being born with mutations in Belarus just over the border too. There's an orphanage full of them, suffering from cerebral palsy and stuff.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:55 am »

I'd like a source for that actually...

All I'm saying is that we should keep in mind the possibility of a heretofore unrealized nightmare scenario that Chernobyl came closest to. The track record of nuclear plants are great, but if private industries operating them were not watched and regulated as closely as they are the risk of such a scenario occurring would increase drastically. We are going to more or less have to employ a greater number of nuclear plants in the future, which will in turn strengthen the industry's political pull, which in turn will put us at risk of creating an iron triangle like that which exists with fossil fuels today.
Then again, third gen reactors can't meltdown by design. Or should be unable too, anyway.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: August 07, 2013, 10:23:51 am »

I'll try and find it, it was a Journeyman Pictures documentary I think.

EDIT:

The best ones are from a documentary called "Chernobyl Heart" from HBO:

Here's a few clips.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:30:10 am by Owlbread »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:52 am »

I've googled it a bit and the studies and reviews I've seen don't appear to show any significant increase in congenital defects either

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/5/941.short

http://my-co2.net/documents/documents_in_english/abort-castro-99.pdf

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169534706000292

I'm going to check the last one more throughly later, if I can access it through my old uni account.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 759