Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247548 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7590 on: August 22, 2013, 05:11:06 pm »

I've always heard him described as gay. But being trans is pretty much exactly the same general public perception.
-.-
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: August 22, 2013, 05:16:35 pm »

I've always heard him described as gay. But being trans is pretty much exactly the same general public perception.

It's how she identified herself, it's common for trans people to do that.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: August 22, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »

I had initially heard neither. Heard it here first, but that was not that long ago.
I guess it will rather have a slighly adverse effect if any on the perception of transsexuals, since Manning is a controversial figure already. For positive effects you need beloved entertainers coming out, like Ellen in the 90s. And I doubt something like that is going to happen soon, as that is a bit more complicated than coming out as gay.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7593 on: August 22, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »

The highest profile trans person I know is one of the Wachowski's, director of "The Matrix", etc.

Pronouns are a pain in the ass, as the only gender neutral ones we have in English reference either objects (it) or group (they). Saying "she" is described as "gay" isn't necessarily correct ether for a m->f trans either.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:42:31 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: August 22, 2013, 06:37:15 pm »

I have also become confused when it comes to trans folk's sexuality.

The ones I know use their actual gender to determine sexuality. MtF who likes men = straight. However, I have come across a few who said differently.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »

The way I see it sexuality is such a fluid thing classifications barely fit anyway.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: August 22, 2013, 06:51:53 pm »

I personally define my sexuality as "penis wants what penis wants".
If people ask it's funny enough to not make a big deal of but while being sufficient enough of an answer.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: August 22, 2013, 07:02:45 pm »

How was it pretty clear?

http://boingboing.net/2010/06/20/was-alleged-wikileak.html

And then two letters under the name 'Breanna' which got her labeled as unstable.

Of course there were some obfuscating elements, such as her intent to hide her transition until the trial was over, but from the trickle of information we've had access to there was a pretty clear picture being painted of somebody who was transgender and suffering for it in that hell called the military. Maybe not 100% but beyond reasonable doubt in my mind.

Ah. I hadn't heard of even anything like that.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: August 22, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »

The current categorization of sexuality is flawed in many ways. At the very least a slight improvement would be to describe it as "target"-sexual - so something like Massexual and Femsexual. Femsexuals like women, massexuals like men. It would have the side effect of being specific to sexuality and sexual interest, whereas our current standard requires also knowing the gender of the person involved.

I can't be the only one who sees the "label for sexual attraction" not actually specifying who someone is attracted to being a weirdass fucking thing. You'd think knowing someone's sexuality would help you know who their attracted to, but it's useless! What a useless piece of crap label.

If I tell you someone is "homosexual" you would still have no idea if they were attracted to men or women. All it means, really, is "not normal" - you'd know they were deviant, and that was all.

Is that really the sort of terminology we should be using?

Ah, but the world is stupid...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:30:40 pm by GlyphGryph »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »

Needs more fancy latin. Andro-/gyno- sexual?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »

The current categorization of sexuality is flawed in many ways. At the very least a slight improvement would be to describe it as "target"-sexual - so something like Massexual and Femsexual. Femsexuals like women, massexuals like men. It would have the side effect of being specific to sexuality and sexual interest, whereas our current standard requires also knowing the gender of the person involved.

I can't be the only one who sees the "label for sexual attraction" not actually specifying who someone is attracted to being a weirdass fucking thing. You'd think knowing someone's sexuality would help you know who their attracted to, but it's useless! What a useless piece of crap label.

If I tell you someone is "homosexual" you would still have no idea if they were attracted to men or women. All it means, really, is "not normal" - you'd know they were deviant, and that was all.

Is that really the sort of terminology we should be using?

Ah, but the world is stupid...

One of those moments where I'm reminded just how deeply language and culture are connected...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: August 22, 2013, 09:09:36 pm »

One of those moments where I'm reminded just how deeply language and culture are connected...
There used to be a time when I thought things like, "It's just words, it's not going to matter very much how you use them."

These days I find myself amazed at how much of a difference one little word can make in the world.

I also think it's rather heartwarming how many people after the conversation about Manning being transsexual, a lot of people very blatantly started using "she", and "her" to refer to her. It's like an awesome kind of subtle show of support/protest.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: August 22, 2013, 09:10:41 pm »

Quote from: Mannings Statement
The decisions that I made in 2010 were made out of the concern for my country and the world that we live in. Since the tragic events of 9/11, our country has been at war. We have been at war with an enemy that chooses not to meet us on a traditional battlefield. Due to this fact, we’ve had to alter our methods of combatting the risk posed to us and our way of life.

I initially agreed with these methods and chose to volunteer to help defend our country. It was not until I was in Iraq and reading secret military reports on a daily basis that I started to question the morality of what we were doing. It was at this time that I realized that our efforts to meet the risk posed to us by the enemy, we had forgotten our humanity. We consciously elected to devalue life both in Iraq and Afghanistan. When we engaged those that we perceived were the enemy, we sometimes killed innocent civilians. Whenever we killed innocent civilians, instead of accepting responsibility for our conduct, we elected to hide behind the veil of national security and classified information in order to avoid any public accountability.

In our zeal to kill the enemy, we internally debated the definition of torture. We held individuals at Guantanamo for years without due process. We inexplicably turned a blind eye to torture and executions by the Iraqi government. And we stomached countless other acts in the name of our war on terror.

Patriotism is often the cry extolled when morally questionable acts are advocated by those in power. When these cries of patriotism drown out any logically-based dissension, it is usually an American soldier that is given the order to carry out some ill-conceived mission.

Our nation has had similar dark moments for the virtues of democracy—the Trail of Tears, the Dred Scott decision, McCarthyism and the Japanese-American internment camps—to mention a few. I am confident that many of the actions since 9/11 will one day be viewed in a similar light.

As the late Howard Zinn once said, there is not a flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

I understand that my actions violated the law. I regret that my actions hurt anyone or harmed the United States. It was never my intent to hurt anyone. I only wanted to help people. When I chose to disclose classified information, I did so out of a love for my country and my sense of duty to others.

If you deny my request for a pardon, I will serve my time knowing that sometimes you have to pay a heavy price to live in a free society. I will gladly pay that price if it means we could have a country that is truly conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all women and men are created equal.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:54 pm »

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:23:18 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17:40 pm »

Left out of what?
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 759