Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1246988 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7755 on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:04 pm »

It's racist because it's intentionally goofy parody of appearance.  Originates from and reflects a time when black people were considered mentally inferior.

Yes but why does that even count when the blackface is good?

I'm not sure what you mean.  "Blackface" refers to a very specific thing.

Blackface is common refered to WHENEVER a person, usually white, uses makeup, paint, or what have you... To look "black". It has long since been divorced from its very specific definition.

But I think we moved past this topic.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:40:45 pm by Neonivek »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: September 11, 2013, 08:05:38 pm »

Honestly, at the end of the day there doesn't seem to be much difference between race, ethnicity, and nationality.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »

Honestly, at the end of the day there doesn't seem to be much difference between race, ethnicity, and nationality.
I thought race ~= ethnicity and dependent on birth, while nationality is of course dependent on your current nationality.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:01 pm »

If I wanted to be racist, I'd confuse the Dutch with the Deutsche,

But that wouldn't be wrong. They're the same word. Completely unlike Swedes and Swiss that are two completely different words :P
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »

People from the Netherlands are the Dutch. Germany are the Deutsche.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: September 11, 2013, 08:35:06 pm »

They call themselves Nederlanders, and their language Nederlands.

The English term stems from middle English when we called all the German people the "diuts" (or some variation of that word), yet for some reason after we adopted the Latin term "Germania" to refer to the reason, we kept on referring to the Netherlands by the old name, don't ask me why.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: September 11, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »

Blackface is common refered to WHENEVER a person, usually white, uses makeup, paint, or what have you... To look "black". It has long since been divorced from its very specific definition.
No it hasn't.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: September 11, 2013, 08:51:15 pm »

It's racist because it's intentionally goofy parody of appearance.  Originates from and reflects a time when black people were considered mentally inferior.

All Blackface, from the originals to straight make-up, is frowned upon. It's debatable whether it's even possible to do tastefully.

If I wanted to be racist, I'd confuse the Dutch with the Deutsche,

But that wouldn't be wrong. They're the same word. Completely unlike Swedes and Swiss that are two completely different words :P
If I wanted to be racist, I wouldn't care about how accurate or inaccurate my descriptions were. Jesus! I'm a hypothetical racist, I don't have to know the difference. You can all be Arabs (Pronounced A-rab) as far as I'm concerned.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: September 11, 2013, 09:00:56 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean.  "Blackface" refers to a very specific thing.

But I think we moved past this topic.

I don't think I've ever seen the word used to refer to anything but the caricature that is unrealistically black skin, googly eyes, and humongous red lips.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: September 11, 2013, 09:07:40 pm »

My knowledge of blackface comes 98% from American pop culture and it certainly seems to think it refers to all browner-than-tanning-spray-skinned makeups.
Love, scriver~

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:34 am »

I don't think I've ever seen the word used to refer to anything but the caricature that is unrealistically black skin, googly eyes, and humongous red lips.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:53 am »

The only other context I've ever heard of it is in making jokes about people with terrible fake tans.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: September 12, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »

Riddle me this, is it the Walloon or Flemish part of Belgium that makes such good chocolate?
I am going to assume it's the Flemish because they are closer to the DMR.
Both actually. The Belgian Chocolate tradition dates back to the Spanish occupation, and has as such evolved nationwide, especially during the colonization of Congo, rather than regional**. Strange is that apparently chocolate is regulated by law, though Wikipedia needs citations on that.

Of course, as with the beer, it's a combination of traditional techniques, knowledge, and High quality ingredients*.

*Explaining why the Dutch have no decent cuisine.
** Example are Waffles, with many regional varieties. Or beers, with lot's of regional varieties.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: September 12, 2013, 09:29:10 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »

Women and harassment on the internet.

Also oddly enough the reverse is also oddly common though not as specific.

In that a woman who is dissatisfied with a man can basically post lies about him on the net which can interfere with his everyday life.

When I heard of it I thought there should be laws against businesses allowing slander as the basis for hiring.

Hell, I'd like to see someone hack into that guy's account and **** HIM over

I don't really believe in revenge, but yeah legal pursuits are something.

Also the article isn't so much about internet police as it seems to be specific laws that protect people's right to privacy. As the laws it refers to are things like, a website cannot withhold pictures of you if you request they be removed.

Unfortunately I know that this will likely spin off into the corporate zone quite easily. Then again I held no illusions that the internet would remain anomalous and "free" forever.

Though I will admit what I thought was going to happen was that corporate maneuvering was going to do that. I didn't think it was going to be Cyber-rights laws that were going to be it but I guess that does make more sense.

Unlike Cyberbullying where I still believe such laws are going to be abused in stupid ways... This makes sense and doesn't have much room for abuse if kept in the private sector.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:53:02 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 759