Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247775 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7770 on: September 12, 2013, 09:54:47 pm »

I sincerely doubt that you can find an example on nearly the same scale where a woman has instigated an all-out avalanche of sex-based abuse upon a man, Neo.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: September 12, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »

Neonivek, read the part about statistics.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »

So the United States is experiencing a measles outbreak, once again thanks to our friends, the fucking anti-vaccers.

Let us thank our primary celebrities responsible for the easily preventable suffering and death of hundreds of children, Andrew Wakefield and Jenny McCarthy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: September 12, 2013, 10:05:50 pm »

Goddammit. How did we go from all-but-eradicating smallpox to dying from freaking measles?

I don't say this to a lot of people, but go to hell anti-vaccers.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: September 12, 2013, 10:06:38 pm »

Neonivek, read the part about statistics.

The gender balance part?

It freakishly enough follows the regular statistics that I can find. Well except it seems to be skewed towards gender balance more so then the other sets of statistics I have that makes male victims a bit rarer then 40% (for stalking) and 20% (for harassment), and no the ones I have weren't the kind made up to make women more victims then they already are for shock value either.

Goddammit. How did we go from all-but-eradicating smallpox to dying from freaking measles?

I don't say this to a lot of people, but go to hell anti-vaccers.

Well I will tell you that it is completely unrelated to the anti-vaccers, at least to my knowledge, since the herd immunity should more then make up for them.

It has mostly to do with overseas ability and willingness to receive vaccines.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:11:00 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: September 12, 2013, 10:11:18 pm »

It isn't really an all-but-eradication, smallpox is seriously eradicated. And once the stocks held by the US and Russia are either intentionally destroyed or degrade into uselessness, the threat will be gone for good.
Well I will tell you that it is completely unrelated to the anti-vaccers, at least to my knowledge, since the herd immunity should more then make up for them.
It has everything to do with the anti-vaccers. They are the ones breaking down herd immunity. It isn't a singular threshold, and everybody who can be safely vaccinated has an obligation to be in order to speed eradication.

MMR vaccines don't last forever, either. The longer this goes on, the more work that has to be done by people who aren't stupid selfish assholes in order to maintain herd immunity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: September 12, 2013, 10:14:06 pm »

Yeah... apparently in this case. OPPS!

stupid selfish

Well stupid could be argued. Selfish I don't know.

What is the reason for them refusing the vaccine?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: September 12, 2013, 10:16:56 pm »

From my speaking with them?

"I don't care what happens to you, I don't want to and you can't make me, and the slight risk my child might have a negative reaction to the vaccine is perfectly acceptable even if it's significantly more likely for your family members to die because of it."

(Not everyone can get the vaccine and have it help - these are the people who herd immunity protects)

So yeah, I'd call it selfish.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:56 pm »

So... "I want my child to be safe from this vaccine everyone is trying to force upon us."

Though yeah, I though this was one of those cases where herd immunity failed, but apparently not... If people who didn't get vaccines out of fear were spread out it wouldn't be a problem.

Mind you they very well may be selfish, I am just thinking what the solution is exactly.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7779 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »

So... "I want my child to be safe from this vaccine everyone is trying to force upon us."

Trying to force? Really? Wheres the force? Talking loudly doesn't count. And safe from the vaccine? All that nonsense about vaccines being dangerous is exactly that, nonsense. Wrong on both counts.

Though yeah, I though this was one of those cases where herd immunity failed, but apparently not... If people who didn't get vaccines out of fear were spread out it wouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, we are not so lucky.

Mind you they very well may be selfish, I am just thinking what the solution is exactly.

The solution is very simple: The anti vaxxers should STFU and get vaccinated, before they cause more deaths.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:51 pm »

Trying to force? Really? Wheres the force? Talking loudly doesn't count. And safe from the vaccine? All that nonsense about vaccines being dangerous is exactly that, nonsense. Wrong on both counts

I am talking from what I believe is their perspective.

The solution is very simple: The anti vaxxers should STFU and get vaccinated, before they cause more deaths

Well why aren't you in favor of just having mandatory vaccinations for people who can have them?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: September 12, 2013, 10:57:25 pm »

A large cause of distruct of vaccines comes from... something? Im not enturely sure, given the lack of evidence showing any dangers of vaccines.

Maby it has something to do with the Evil Government encourages it, therefore its deadly.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:25 pm »

Wait it is the same stupid autism crud?

They already scientifically disproven the connection AND explained why the connection seemed to exist in the first place!

Why is this still a thing?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:05 pm »

A large cause of distruct of vaccines comes from... something? Im not enturely sure, given the lack of evidence showing any dangers of vaccines.

Maby it has something to do with the Evil Government encourages it, therefore its deadly.

Some British scientist with a few conflicts of interest making a paper showing an existing correlation between usage of vaccines and autism, two values that go up over time for known reasons that are unrelated (better medical technology and better diagnostics, respectively), then claiming with no other evidence that the two are connected, followed by a woman who got famous for farting on MTV blowing it up all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:04:47 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 759