Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244385 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #7845 on: September 13, 2013, 06:18:44 pm »

Hnn... disregarding the rest of the conversation, clinical trials -- in the states, at least -- are not quite as rigorous (or corruption proof, it seems some days) as I'd prefer, m'self. Might not mean much, in practice.
That's true.  But any universally administered vaccine will have gone through a lot of trials all around the world, and one of them would probably have picked it up if it was secretly a mind control drug.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: September 13, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »

Yeah, honestly if the government's up to it's old tricks, the average middle class anti-vac proponents is NOT going to be the target - it's disadvantaged groups no one would miss or care about either way.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: September 13, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »

Hnn... disregarding the rest of the conversation, clinical trials -- in the states, at least -- are not quite as rigorous (or corruption proof, it seems some days) as I'd prefer, m'self. Might not mean much, in practice.
That's true.  But any universally administered vaccine will have gone through a lot of trials all around the world, and one of them would probably have picked it up if it was secretly a mind control drug.
Though it's pretty easy to tell it's not a mind control drug.
Because people are complaining. If I had a populace under mind control the last thing I would want them doing is discussing it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:05 pm »

I just want to clarify: My position is that "Man, I wish I could shut down all these looney conspiracy theorists, but the god damn government keeps doing conspiracies!"

That's basically my position, too.  I don't agree with the anti-vaccers, at least the type as described earlier in this thread, but I can at least understand paranoia and difficulty making proper decisions about what to believe.  And I don't support measures that enable more conspiracy *fact* to be enacted in the future.  Mock and shame the anti-vaccers all you want.  Encourage people to get their vaccinations.  I agree like 95%.  But making it mandatory?... breaking down the fundamental notion that a person deserves to control what they put into their bodies opens all kinds of doors to worse problems than the one you're trying to solve.

Though it's pretty easy to tell it's not a mind control drug.
Because people are complaining. If I had a populace under mind control the last thing I would want them doing is discussing it.

You've got that completely wrong.  You want them discussing it, but looking ridiculous for it.  I think one of the most difficult things to deal with in America is information control isn't absolute.  Most things are known to people who really dig for the truth.  But when only a minority bothers to actually do that on any given subject and mainstream sources of information say the opposite thing, the person who knows the truth tends to look really ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:26:37 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: September 13, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »

But making it mandatory?... breaking down the fundamental notion that a person deserves to control what they put into their bodies opens all kinds of doors to worse problems than the one you're trying to solve.
Vaccines are not just about the individual. They are a cure that requires societal investment, or it will be ultimately of little use. We see how well it goes when it is voluntary, from the anti-vaccers to individuals such as yourself, who draw a line of what vaccines are "necessary".

Besides, they're just about mandatory anyway. You can't enter primary or secondary education without proof of active vaccination, and I'm sure there are other places proof is needed as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: September 13, 2013, 06:44:43 pm »

You've got that completely wrong.  You want them discussing it, but looking completely ridiculous for it.
Oh god man this is completely indistinguishable from a Birther post.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: September 13, 2013, 06:56:57 pm »

Besides, they're just about mandatory anyway. You can't enter primary or secondary education without proof of active vaccination, and I'm sure there are other places proof is needed as well.
*coughs* Actually, you could waive most of them, last time I had to deal with that, and that may have only been for housing.* I think the one I'm in right now didn't even ask.

*I'm fairly sure I've got the big ones, but gods be buggered if I knew where the paperwork was, so I waived most of them >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: September 13, 2013, 07:27:08 pm »

The point is in the end vaccines aren't likely to be a government cover up for something, they are administered world wide with positive results. There is no rational reason to not get one. Hypothetical conspiracies will end with you wrapping your head in tinfoil for all the bad tings that might be happening. Does the US government have a history of horror level stupidity? Yea, but that isn't a license to claim everything in the world is an evil plot.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: September 13, 2013, 09:44:59 pm »

I'd also like to point out this is literally the same sentiment as the Taliban and highly conservative blocking largely US and UN led efforts to eradicate Polio. Actually, they suspect it might have pork in it, which is far more likely. They also suspect it might have aids, which is less likely.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: September 13, 2013, 09:52:12 pm »

No, it's not, because I have not once said that people shouldn't get vaccinations or even be pressured to get them.  My literal sentiments were that I can understand how anti-vaccers get to where they are, even if I still disagree with them the same way you guys do, and that I don't support making vaccinations 100% mandatory.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: September 13, 2013, 11:34:03 pm »

I still dont understand why they think that.

I understand that they think the Evil Government is working to reconfabulate their brains with their sufficiently-advanced-technology governments always seem to have. But I dont understand why, if they suspect this, they then proceed to ignore the overwhelming non-governmental evidence against this. Because of that, I dont understand why they are against vaccines, it just strikes me as people living in another world.

There is no rational basis for the fear, its just superstition.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: September 13, 2013, 11:37:38 pm »

non-governmental

It's all governmental to them. All of it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: September 14, 2013, 03:15:46 am »

That is the thing about a conspiracy. It is never disproved, instead the number of people simply increases.

Anybody don't agree with you? They are brainwashed. Can they present evidence contrary to your claim? They are in on it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: September 14, 2013, 07:48:27 am »

Most vaccines are taken once in life. Flu shots are taken once every year. So congratulations, Evil Government. You've just mind controlled a bunch of third graders or a bunch of elderly gentlefolks for 3-4 weeks tops.

Because yeah. Vaccines would be a horribly inefficient way to administer "mind control chemicals" to people, because they're not taken often enough to actually to actually cause any kind of consistent behaviour. They'd need you to take "vaccine shots" like every 4-6 weeks for that to happen.

Now, if I were an Evil Government Conspiracist I'd much rather put tge mind control drug in insulin shots and lobby for increased diabetes in the populace. A shot you need to take every day, maybe even several times? That's a lot more efficient. Thank god people are so careful about what they eat and diabetes ie on its way dow- hey, wait a second...!

But nah. Still to inefficient. What your really want to do is work with the fast food chains, and cheap beer and soft drink producers instead of the medicine business. Wake up sheeple! McDonald's Coca Cola is brain controlling you!
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: September 14, 2013, 07:50:25 am »

Shush, I won't be able to pass the Everybody Has Diabetes bill if you keep talking like that.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 759