Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247307 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8055 on: February 14, 2014, 07:27:40 am »

i agree with the entirety of that video

...with one tiny, irrelevant exception that's based on semantics only but still agree with it in its entirety

so from where do you draw the anger, lw? the comments or wot?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8056 on: February 14, 2014, 07:36:28 am »

Normally you could just chock it down to youtube comments being youtube comments, but there are definitely right now people from feminist/MRA subreddits in the comments alongside 4chan Anons. Trolling aside, by 'everyone' I mean all the ideologies being soapboxed.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:29 am »

So, like, a quick look at the kind of "feminism" Tammy Bruce represents via Wikipedia. Namely a conservative anti-progressive version. Yeah... I'm just gonna stick with my skeptic-oriented intersectional feminism, thank you very much.

EDIT: LOL. Even Prager "University" is a bin for right-wing lunatics.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:00:20 am by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: February 14, 2014, 07:58:25 am »

only genuinely anti-progressive thing i see there is opposing gay marriage.

what if we got rid of marriage altogether and replaced it with civil unions

it'd solve a lot of shit maybe? i'm not exactly giving this more than five seconds of thought

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: February 14, 2014, 08:08:05 am »

Normally you could just chock it down to youtube comments being youtube comments, but there are definitely right now people from feminist/MRA subreddits in the comments alongside 4chan Anons. Trolling aside, by 'everyone' I mean all the ideologies being soapboxed.

It's basically a free-for-all, an exercise in idiots calling other idiots idiots. Entertaining, in a way.

So, like, a quick look at the kind of "feminism" Tammy Bruce represents via Wikipedia. Namely a conservative anti-progressive version. Yeah... I'm just gonna stick with my skeptic-oriented intersectional feminism, thank you very much.

You didn't gather that much from the video itself? Huh.

The way I see it, she makes a step in the right direction, then slips and zooms past into the zone of stupid on the other side.

So, women should be able to want to pursue marriage instead of career. Yaaaay. Then she says that a woman pursuing career cannot be happy. *facepalm*. Or that a woman shouldn't be like a man because it's bad and wrong. WHAT IF SHE FUCKING WANTS TO OUT OF HER OWN FREE WILL? LET HER ACT LIKE A GODDAMN MAN, SAME GOES FOR THE OTHER WAY ROUND. GOD, IS THIS SO HARD TO PARSE FOR BOTH SIDES?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: February 14, 2014, 08:28:39 am »

I think the problem is that people care too much about other people. If everybody just stopped giving a shit a lot of problems would disappear.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: February 14, 2014, 08:33:34 am »

I think the problem is that people care too much about other people. If everybody just stopped giving a shit a lot of problems would disappear.

I agree. This is pretty much my approach summarized. I'm all for people doing whatever they damn want because I don't really care what they do.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:39 am »

There's something I wanted to talk about. Recently we had a mini-controversy around here after a feminists posted a list of advice to men to make women feel safer. Now, amongst them was "When I'm walking behind a woman at night, I cross the street to give her a wide berth." Now, my first reaction was "Fuck that, I'm already doing my part by not raping anyone, thank you very much". But she was raising some interesting point about the fact that women are brought up in the fear of being raped by strangers (never mind that rapist are more often than not people you know).

So yeah, I'd like the forum's opinion on this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:51 am »

I dislike walking near strangers at night anyway; I'd probably just go faster than her.
It might be the nice/polite thing to do, but it's hardly something you should wreck your head about.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02:38 am »

It's something to keep in mind if feasible, and knowing how people from other backgrounds might read your actions is useful, but don't lose any sleep over it. Unless the reason relates to direct doucheness (e.g. street harassment) I doubt most people would hold it against you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:54 am »

Wouln't it make more sense for the woman to cross the street?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: February 14, 2014, 09:18:17 am »

If you're the one making an effort to alleviate anxiety... no?

Not to mention that placing the action in a random woman's hands also forces her to become a target/noticed by the variable person. This is completely contrary to making her feel safer.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:07 am »

I actually do stuff like that. I'm often out at night and it happens fairly often that I'm the only person leaving the train at a station or waiting for the train. It's pretty noticeable that I might look threatening to a woman or girl leaving/waiting for the same train or being alone in the street. Might be due to my looks or intoxication level, might be just because I'm a man. So I try at least to not walk behind them, not come too close, and possibly cross the street and walk away fast in the other direction. I also try to appear as non-threatening as I can, avoid looking too long and try to appear busy. It's something I started doing a long time ago, because I really noticed that people do feel uncomfortable in these situations, which in turn made me feel bad.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:48 am »

If I feel I might come off as threatening I give people their space.

For that specific example, I'd don't think I'd do anything to change my behavior. I'd give them the same amount of physical space I'd give anyone.

A better hypothetical for me is hitting on people. It's very conceivable that before I was married I might go up to some random person and try to strike up a conversation. If I got rejected, I'd actively avoid the person (within reason) in an attempt to be non-threatening and non-pushy to them.

On another topic, even a religious conservative clock is right twice a day.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:43:04 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: February 14, 2014, 10:01:45 am »

A better hypothetical for me is hitting on people. It's very conceivable that before I was married I might go up to some random person and try to strike up a conversation. If I got rejected, I'd actively avoid the person (within reason) in an attempt to be non-threatening and non-pushy to them.
That is a bit besides the point though.  :) If someone tries to chat me up in a lonely street late at night I mentally prepare for confrontation, because normal people don't do that unless they really need help or something. That's pretty much the worst time to hit on somebody.
In case of women, you just notice that they are scared when they start walking faster and keep their phone ready. That's not the time to propose having a drink together.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:04:23 am by XXSockXX »
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 759