Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247463 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8490 on: September 30, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »

Basically, a guy jumped the fence on the white house lawn, in the front door, and around the first corner into the building, before an agent tackled him.  He was carrying a pocket knife.  People are outraged that anyone would be able to make it that far, and saying the guy should have been shot or had dogs released on him as soon as he jumped the fence.

Also, your standard "the next time this happens could be a planned and organized terrorist attack" bullshit.

Who is saying this? The way I see it, the situation couldn't have been handled better without the guy suddenly realizing the error of his ways and calling the guards himself.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: September 30, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »

Basically, a guy jumped the fence on the white house lawn, in the front door, and around the first corner into the building, before an agent tackled him.  He was carrying a pocket knife.  People are outraged that anyone would be able to make it that far, and saying the guy should have been shot or had dogs released on him as soon as he jumped the fence.

Also, your standard "the next time this happens could be a planned and organized terrorist attack" bullshit.

Who is saying this? The way I see it, the situation couldn't have been handled better without the guy suddenly realizing the error of his ways and calling the guards himself.

Umm... everyone in that video.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: September 30, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »

...you don't see how this is a problem? Really?

How did they know he was only armed with a knife? He could have EASILY had a pistol or worse, a bomb.

He should not have made it that far, period. I'm not saying they should have sniped him off the fence as he was climbing it or something, but do you *REALLY* think it's perfectly fine that he managed to get over the fence, across the yard, into the building, and had time to wander a round a bit before an off duty agent noticed him and tackled him?

This is supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in the country, yet if he'd been intent on serious harm and less stupid, he could have done some real damage and apparently nobody gave a damn.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: September 30, 2014, 10:31:45 pm »

I don't get the impression that he "wandered around a bit".  It sounded to me like he full-sprinted into the building and was probably inside for only a few seconds before getting tackled.  He only ran through the first room and then turned a corner into a hallway.

I'm generally against "kill everybody just to be safe" style protocols.  Everybody could something always.  Anyone who enters the White House could be bringing something dangerous with them, unless strip and cavity searches become mandatory for anyone to enter.  Personal opinion will always vary, but there is definitely a point where security makes life more miserable than the bad thing it's ostensibly preventing.

I don't think it's "perfectly fine" that it happened, but I also think that the reactions in the video to the event are ridiculous.  I do not like any notion that involves projection of overwhelming force, or fear-mongering about terrorists.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:35:30 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: October 01, 2014, 01:07:16 am »

I'm in the "he shouldn't have gotten that far" camp, but not to the extremes in the video. Getting over the fence? Well, that's doable. Getting across the lawn to the front door? A little worrying, but maybe the guy's a fast sprinter and I wouldn't go so far as to order sniper teams to gun him down unless he was visibly packing heat.

Getting inside the White House? That should not have happened. Why weren't there guards posted outside the doors, ready to intercept anyone rushing the entrance? Or if there were guards, why didn't they react more quickly?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8495 on: October 01, 2014, 01:51:11 am »

Or, you know, locks.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: October 01, 2014, 01:53:13 am »

All I have to say on the matter is that the incident contributed to a greater than normal variation of muderization considerations.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: October 01, 2014, 01:56:57 am »

Getting inside the White House? That should not have happened. Why weren't there guards posted outside the doors, ready to intercept anyone rushing the entrance? Or if there were guards, why didn't they react more quickly?
If my extensive experience* means anything, it's probably because he dropped a coin on the ground or something.

*(Read: Playing Hitman)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: October 01, 2014, 02:27:36 am »

I didn't watch whatever video you're talking about, so if the guys in it are acting particularly crazy and that's who you were talking about then I misunderstood and I apologize. I thought you were suggesting that anyone who thought this was a big deal at all was overreacting.

Also I suppose "wandered around" is....not the best choice of words since he probably was running. He did however manage to make it from the north portico, through a hallway, and all the way to the southern end of the green room (map here: http://firstladyblog.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f1803698970b0192aa844610970d-320wi) so it's not like they stopped him right inside the place, he basically ran across the whole bottom floor (including past the stairs that lead up to the president's residence.

I also don't think they should just gun everyone down, but there's a huge difference between "kill everyone" and "let some crazy guy charge into the white house". We shouldn't give in to fear mongering, but on the other hand.... this was pretty seriously bad.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: October 01, 2014, 07:05:57 am »

it does highlight some security holes. Nobody should make it  that far.

But I find it horrific that for some people the first thought is that those holes should be packed full of gunshots and murder. Is the situation so bad that US isn't able to keep people away from a place without outright killing them?  ( most likely, not)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:38:55 am by andrea »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:09 am »

Yeah, holy shit, "Guards handle situation with the appropriate level of force, too slowly" should not be met with "Should've used more violence, guys". You kinda want to be able to trust the Secret Service with being capable of quickly appraising a situation to determine the appropriate level of force to use; we expect that much out of random street cops, I think we can expect it from these guys. The problem here was speed, that's it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:01 am »

The secret service guys are just jealous of Ferguson police.

They, too, want to kill people with impunity!

I wonder, if that escalation of nation-wide violence continues, how long it will take until the revolution breaks out?
._.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: October 01, 2014, 11:48:07 am »

Also I suppose "wandered around" is....not the best choice of words since he probably was running. He did however manage to make it from the north portico, through a hallway, and all the way to the southern end of the green room (map here: http://firstladyblog.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f1803698970b0192aa844610970d-320wi) so it's not like they stopped him right inside the place, he basically ran across the whole bottom floor (including past the stairs that lead up to the president's residence.

That's more ground covered than what was described by the video link.  I also agree that it's strange guards aren't posted at the door.  That's... basically the hallmark of building security anywhere since the beginning of time.

Regardless, I was just chiming in on the overreactions. 

I didn't watch whatever video you're talking about, so if the guys in it are acting particularly crazy and that's who you were talking about then I misunderstood and I apologize. I thought you were suggesting that anyone who thought this was a big deal at all was overreacting.

The reporter said people were wondering why the guy wasn't shot or had dogs released on him.  Then there were clips from a congressional hearing, where one congressman said the goal of the secret service should be to project an image of overwhelming force, and another one saying "next time it happens could be a terrorist attack!!"
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: October 01, 2014, 12:24:42 pm »

Yeah, but congressional hearings are more about grandstanding and rabble-rousing than actual... you know, anything practical.

Replace "Congressional hearing" with "any open-to-the-public government action". :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: October 01, 2014, 12:26:20 pm »

most actions of the government should be open to the public

question remains if the public will give a fuck

* LordSlowpoke blows soap bubble

they don't seem to here
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 759