Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247644 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8685 on: November 17, 2014, 01:35:32 pm »

it's not supposed to apply to politics at all, it applies to influencing the behavior of companies and markets

This sentence contradict itself.

Company A starts burning down rainforests to produce more coffee. Company B uses sustainable agriculture practices. You switch from brand A to brand B. This is considered "voting with your wallet"

Politician A suggests we should start murdering babies. Politician B suggests that's a bad idea. You donate all your money to politician A because you hate babies. This is NOT considered voting with your wallet as the phrase is traditionally used.

Do you understand the difference?
The difference is that the former affects politics only indirectly.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: November 17, 2014, 01:37:32 pm »

How much child slave labor is Company B using in this example?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: November 17, 2014, 01:40:54 pm »

The muslim thing isn't slanderous (it'ss not a bad thing), though, and you have to give more leeway for political speech, just to show that you're not using it for censorship.

But being from Kenya is?  :P

Am kidding.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: November 17, 2014, 01:44:33 pm »

How much child slave labor is Company B using in this example?

They use *all* the child slave labor, but it's OK because you hate children almost as much as you hate babies.

The difference is that the former affects politics only indirectly.

If you want to be pedantic, then I suppose everything indirectly affects politics.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:46:29 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: November 17, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »

The muslim thing isn't slanderous (it'ss not a bad thing), though, and you have to give more leeway for political speech, just to show that you're not using it for censorship.

But being from Kenya is?  :P

Am kidding.
Well yeah, it's saying he got his position illegitimately, which I believe would be illegal probably.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: November 17, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »

Let the bigots and racists and zealots show the world just how disgusting they really are - they will hurt themselves far, far more then trying to silence them would.

The question is who else they'll hurt in the process.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: November 17, 2014, 02:05:29 pm »

Let the bigots and racists and zealots show the world just how disgusting they really are - they will hurt themselves far, far more then trying to silence them would.

If they hurt people directly, via assault etc then we already punish that.

If they hurt people's feelings - too bad, nobody promised anyone a world where everyone agrees on everything. They have as much right to believe what they believe as you have to believe what you do.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: November 17, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »

Company A starts burning down rainforests to produce more coffee. Company B uses sustainable agriculture practices. You switch from brand A to brand B. This is considered "voting with your wallet"

First there is not a lot of difference between the two, second you may not afford to do it, third it''s only important if the price difference is rather small. If it's big, every big chains will have to buy the rainforest destroying coffee.

I vote with my vote and would forbid the first coffee. Simple and efficient, and doesn't ask me to understand the production process of every damn thing I consume.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: November 17, 2014, 02:10:16 pm »

Uh huh. So because the pain isn't physical it doesn't matter, despite it having a real, detrimental effect on people's quality of life and ability?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: November 17, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »

If they hurt people's feelings - too bad, nobody promised anyone a world where everyone agrees on everything. They have as much right to believe what they believe as you have to believe what you do.

i'm going to approve this and specifically this post

especially since it means jack shit when i approve things

keep up the good posts

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: November 17, 2014, 02:22:03 pm »

What if I start riling people up against the Turks (the biggest minority in Germany), telling them to burn down their houses and drown their children? I haven't hurt anyone myself...
Not that I necessarily agree with what Vector had in mind - she was a wee bit unspecific - but it's  more complicated than 'Free speech reigns surpreme'. As I said in the bodily autonomy debate: It's always about weighing different rights and interests against each other.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:28 pm »

What if I start riling people up against the Turks (the biggest minority in Germany), telling them to burn down their houses and drown their children? I haven't hurt anyone myself...
Not that I necessarily agree with what Vector had in mind - she was a wee bit unspecific - but it's  more complicated than 'Free speech reigns surpreme'. As I said in the bodily autonomy debate: It's always about weighing different rights and interests against each other.

In my opinion? I think the people that burned down the house should be punished for that, but I'm not sure I'd say you committed a crime unless you specifically ordered them to do it.

Obviously there's a lot of grey area around what is considered ordering someone to do it, but I don't personally think the act of suggesting that you would be happy if the turks were burned out of germany should automatically be illegal on it's own

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: November 17, 2014, 02:48:34 pm »

You don't even need to make a direct suggestion in order to incite that sort of thing.  If you say that they are horrible enough times, people will believe it.  You won't just get violence, you'll get oppressive laws that will eventually affect people outside of the intended group.

I don't think we even have a good legislative answer to this.  Censorship will slow the spread of hate, but make it hard to find, and freedom to engage in hate speech spreads hate faster.  The more it spreads, the faster it spreads.  That's probably why there are people that push for cultural changes instead.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: November 17, 2014, 03:07:39 pm »

I don't think we even have a good legislative answer to this.  Censorship will slow the spread of hate, but make it hard to find, and freedom to engage in hate speech spreads hate faster.  The more it spreads, the faster it spreads.  That's probably why there are people that push for cultural changes instead.

Good, rational information and education is the answer. FYI what we have currently is flag waving and circlejerking.

I lost a tremoundous amount of respect for the press those last weeks, seing how readily they'd misrepresent things and attack peoples based on their alignement, but at the same time, I thinl we have, more than ever, tools to spread actual informations and reflexions.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: November 17, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »

I lost a tremoundous amount of respect for the press those last weeks, seing how readily they'd misrepresent things and attack peoples based on their alignement, but at the same time, I thinl we have, more than ever, tools to spread actual informations and reflexions.
Agreed, the active discrimination against Lawful Evil and Chaotic Neutral individuals is one of the most pressing issues in our society today, outweighing almost all others.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 759