Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247537 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #8745 on: November 28, 2014, 02:36:53 pm »

Meanwhile in Austin, Texas:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/28/gunman-killed-targeted-austin-buildings/19607141/
A white, middle-aged gunman, in what appears to be a politically motivated anti-government attack linked to immigration, fired more than a hundred rounds at buildings in downtown Austin early Friday and tried to set fire to the Mexican consulate before he died of a gunshot wound.

A police sergeant putting away police horses for the night shot the suspect with one hand while holding two horses by the reins in the other, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo told reporters.
The police sergeant was later seen tipping his hat to reporters and riding off into the sunset as credits rolled.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: November 28, 2014, 05:22:26 pm »

Only in Austin..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: November 28, 2014, 07:41:07 pm »

Using this as a "things that made you mad" of sorts and then a "things that made you happy", the fact some people don't get being too extremist and aggressive with your progressiveness is just as bad as when the other side does it and hurts actual progress a lot, but then I actually found people who agree with me, for once.

Know what I mean? You probably do. Hopefully.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: November 28, 2014, 08:04:07 pm »

What, you mean this? Yeah, but on the other hand, I feel like that's actually completely unrelated to any kind of progressiveness, and has more to do with tribal stuff. People get excited about the labels they give themselves, and don't always act consistently with them. You get the same thing with Christians, for instance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: November 28, 2014, 08:13:30 pm »

I think the issue isn't so much people who are "too progressive". The problem is when a few people latch onto exactly one pet theory that explains everything, they try to explain every single thing in the world in terms of that one theory, and get hostile if anyone proposes other factors that come into play.

I think it stems from the same impulse are religion - some people on both sides of the spectrum, need a nice, clear simple version of how the world works, and listening to other people talk about "the range of possible factors" in any open-minded way threatens that sense of security. I've met quite a few "new age liberals" who are just as insane as far-right christians. And just like Christians they latch onto these ludicrously simplified "explanations" to life's problems.

So I'd say there's no real person who's "too progressive" what you have is people who are deeply committed to one specific "life answer" to the point of attacking everything that doesn't fit that answer, whether progressive or otherwise.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: November 28, 2014, 08:38:01 pm »

What, you mean this? Yeah, but on the other hand, I feel like that's actually completely unrelated to any kind of progressiveness, and has more to do with tribal stuff. People get excited about the labels they give themselves, and don't always act consistently with them. You get the same thing with Christians, for instance.

Funny how when "that" happens it's usually not an apology but a doubling down of douchery that occurs, followed by mental gymnastics that produce the imaged scenario where they're utterly innocent in how a situation might blow up. Have yet to see a scenario where somebody legitimately apologized for something rather than justified it which led to an outwardly angry response.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: November 29, 2014, 12:45:04 am »

Funny how when "that" happens it's usually not an apology but a doubling down of douchery that occurs, followed by mental gymnastics that produce the imaged scenario where they're utterly innocent in how a situation might blow up. Have yet to see a scenario where somebody legitimately apologized for something rather than justified it which led to an outwardly angry response.
To me it's the contrary.

Most of the adverse reactions to said situations usually come from people not understanding explanations. People apologize and then try to just say why they did that, since they're usually accused of racism/sexism/opression, but then get shouted down as trying to "justify" it.

There's a difference between justifying to show you were right and justifying to avoid being labeled as something after justly apologizing.

But I digress. I spend too much time these days circled by extremists, and thus I've grown quite tired of them, so apologies if it seems I am generalizing or being too cynical.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: November 29, 2014, 11:29:39 am »

My experience matches Glowcat's. People who seriously apologize mostly don't feel the need to point out that they are not bad people. What is shown in the comic hasn't ever happened in my vicinity. It usually is more along the lines of
"That stupid homo hasn't got no balls."
"What you just said is incredibly sexist. I would be more comfortable if you didn't do that."
"Gee, if it's so important to you, okay, I apologize. Some people really have no spine. It's not like I am homophobic or something."
"You're an asshole."
"Well, you are just being oversensitive. I already apologized, I don't know what you're complaining about!"
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:59 pm »

My experience matches Glowcat's. People who seriously apologize mostly don't feel the need to point out that they are not bad people. What is shown in the comic hasn't ever happened in my vicinity. It usually is more along the lines of
"That stupid homo hasn't got no balls."
"What you just said is incredibly sexist. I would be more comfortable if you didn't do that."
"Gee, if it's so important to you, okay, I apologize. Some people really have no spine. It's not like I am homophobic or something."
"You're an asshole."
"Well, you are just being oversensitive. I already apologized, I don't know what you're complaining about!"
Both the case I described and what you described happen, depending on medium. I'm wagering you live or frequent places where people with more conservative views dwell, where to me it's the contrary.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: November 29, 2014, 12:50:04 pm »

Nah, most people I know are anarchists, communists and the like. The most conservative I see is soccer fans and leftist Christians.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: November 29, 2014, 01:12:30 pm »

ITT: Everyone sees only straw men.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: November 29, 2014, 01:35:35 pm »

I don't know what "ITT" stands for, but I guess you are right.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Sheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: November 29, 2014, 01:37:29 pm »

Nah, most people I know are anarchists, communists and the like. The most conservative I see is soccer fans and leftist Christians.
Uhm. Interesting.

I do agree these dicks exist, and boy do I see them a lot - only recently I actually had the guts to admit I'm bisexual in my local high school, for example. The librarian is a well known homophobe, and the rap sheet goes on for that place.

ITT: Everyone sees only straw men.
I woulnd't say straw men. It's less about misunderstanding the other's point, and more arguing which point in and out itself is more important or prevalent.

I see the issue I described a lot. Doesn't mean the other side doesn't exist.

I don't know what "ITT" stands for, but I guess you are right.
"In this thread."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: November 29, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »

I woulnd't say straw men. It's less about misunderstanding the other's point, and more arguing which point in and out itself is more important or prevalent.
If there were a word for it I would have said something about anti strawmen, for portraying the people you do agree with in an overly positive light.

Referring to Antsan saying that people who disagree with him is a reprehensible human being and everyone who tries to correct them on it is perfectly polite and reasonable, while all the people who were agreeing with the comic were saying such exchanges ever happened like that either.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #8759 on: November 29, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »

If there were a word for it I would have said something about anti strawmen, for portraying the people you do agree with in an overly positive light.

Wait... wouldn't an anti-strawman portray the people you disagree with in an overly positive light?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 759