Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244300 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9405 on: February 08, 2015, 06:14:16 pm »

There are plenty of atheists who are like that, for various reasons. I myself might be counted on the edge of that group, depending on how you gauge these things. I do believe that religious faith is a bad thing, and that most people would be better off without it, but I generally try to be gentle about it, and don't engage people unless they consent to having that conversation - I know firsthand how painful it can be to have change a large section of your beliefs like that, after all. There are some atheists that are a lot more aggressive, though, including a host that take insulting peoples religious opinions as an end in and of itself.

Yes, but saying atheists are somehow more intolerant than believers is a tad foolish. Religious people can be just as vehement, insulting and/or rude.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: February 08, 2015, 06:14:46 pm »

TL;DR: People are people?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: February 08, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:25:39 am by penguinofhonor »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: February 08, 2015, 06:17:29 pm »

TL;DR: People are people?

Essentially, yes. An atheist is just the same as a believer, except for the belief bit.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: February 08, 2015, 06:17:44 pm »

D... do we really need to start analyzing Vector's dating preferences for consistency with real-world statistics? I feel like like if that's the direction we're going to travel, we could not possibly have missed the point of the last several pages by a wider mark. No imposition meant toward Vector if it's something you're cool with talking about, it just seems like such a bizarre direction.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: February 08, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »

Oh, come on. If I said something so inherently biased, people would go down my throat :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: February 08, 2015, 06:18:59 pm »

You mean this isn't the find-a-mate-for-Vector thread?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: February 08, 2015, 06:19:25 pm »

D... do we really need to start analyzing Vector's dating preferences for consistency with real-world statistics? I feel like like if that's the direction we're going to travel, we could not possibly have missed the point of the last several pages by a wider mark. No imposition meant toward Vector if it's something you're cool with talking about, it just seems like such a bizarre direction.

That's basically what I've been thinking...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9413 on: February 08, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »

Well, this is less about vector's preferences and more about whether atheists are more or less likely to be jerks. I'd of course say less likely, but I've likely had different experiences than vector, especially considering her comment about computer programmers.

Hmm, maybe it is about vector after all. Congrats vector, your dating preferences apparently make for fascinating discussion. ;)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: February 08, 2015, 06:26:06 pm »

Turning away from the 'Would Vector date me' topic, an interesting Cracked article about pedophiles and treating them.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: February 08, 2015, 06:30:46 pm »

Move on entirely from the semantics argument about bigotry and people sharing whether they'd have sex with trans people.

Part of me wants to let the other trans discussions cool down a little, but I guess if people want to have good conversations then go for it. Just make sure to remain chill, and do not drag up any drama from the previous pages if you're referencing something someone said then.

Thanks. I'm going to drop that for now.

Yes, but saying atheists are somehow more intolerant than believers is a tad foolish. Religious people can be just as vehement, insulting and/or rude.

Did I say anything about how I feel about people who follow received religious practice, buddy?

No. I said I don't date atheists, and I didn't even say why yet, just which kinds of atheists I'd consider. This kind of behavior is why I don't date atheists.

I'm honestly kinda surprised, Vec - I hadn't taken you for the religious kind... Any particular bad experiences with atheists?

Eh...really? Because anyone who is religious is actually more likely, IMO, to be intolerant to other religions.

I am indeed a religious kind, but not of the organized religion sort. I see God as a collection of ideals, to be invoked and created by humankind through our struggles to develop correct moral behavior and a better-attuned group consciousness. Truth, beauty, atonement, forgiveness, creativity, etc.--the usual realm of the sacred. These things are to be sanctified, enjoyed, and appreciated.

I've had many experiences with atheists treating me like I was shit stupid or feeling that it was appropriate dinner conversation to try to disabuse me of my "incorrect" beliefs, despite having never heard what they actually are. Usually the conversations are overwhelming, aggressive, and no matter how much I ask the person to slow the fuck down and respect me instead of talking over me, they don't. Typically people assume (incorrectly) that if I am religious, I must have been brainwashed, even though I form a congregation of one and no one told me to think these things 9_9 A particularly painful example involved a former partner who, when I was undergoing a mental breakdown due to finally collapsing under a lifetime of abuse, decided it was time to take issue once again with my saying "these things shouldn't be happening," because morals are relative and those who don't believe that "a little evil is okay as long as it gets you what you want" have been brainwashed by the Abrahamic religions into thinking that there is such a thing as "improper treatment."

So no. I don't date atheists. I don't date anyone who wants to proselytize to me or put restrictions on my behavior in the name of their god's personal fiat, even if that mirabile dictu is Science taken as received truth. Scientists and priests make mistakes. The truth is messier than what they've offered us, and we certainly won't find it if we keep on getting caught up in these wars over what is wrong with other people's positions instead of synthesizing the best of what everyone has to give. Right action is the domain of human beings, to be discovered by us, and is the gift we give ourselves as a conscious fragment of the universe.

b-but

vector notice me :P

*drop-kicks* >:3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: February 08, 2015, 06:41:15 pm »

If you want to pick a fight with atheists I'd suggest doing it in the religion thread, this thread isn't really equipped to handle that kind of debate.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: February 08, 2015, 06:42:58 pm »

If you want to pick a fight with atheists I'd suggest doing it in the religion thread, this thread isn't really equipped to handle that kind of debate.

I don't want to pick a fight with atheists. I'm sorry it appeared that way. Let's relax.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: February 08, 2015, 06:44:28 pm »

The religion thread isn't either. Picking fights in general is something to be avoided.
The Bay12 postcard club

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9419 on: February 08, 2015, 06:47:28 pm »

I don't want to pick a fight with atheists. I'm sorry it appeared that way. Let's relax.

FIGHT ME TO THE DEATH, COWARD!

or not, that's fine too...

But for serious, I'm sorry you've run into so many asshats. That's pretty terrible.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 759