Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247187 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9495 on: February 10, 2015, 07:44:06 pm »

A unification of Europe into one nation would mean the end of the Swedish model, of Swedish governmental traditions and governmental culture. There's no reason I would want that. And yeah, it's fairly obvious to everyone that the American system works extremely poorly. Governments just don't work on that scale, and neither would a United States of Europe. There's no self-determination left at that point, and there's nothing just about such a democracy. Swedes would be powerless to affect the laws of their own land. There's no reason Britons, Frenchmen and Germans should decide over Swedes just because there's more of them - that's the very essence of wolf-and-sheep democracy. Particularly as there is absolutely no sense of solidarity or community between the big European countries and their smaller neighbours other than when it benefits the former - Germany's treatment of Greece during the last years demonstrates clearer than anything else that Germany is a fairweather friend of the worst kind.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: February 10, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »

There's absolutely no reason to have a united nation at all. Giving up one's sovereignity is like asking to he run over, and there's no guarantee you'll ever get it back. Just look at the US and what haooen to their states' right to secede.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: February 10, 2015, 08:01:33 pm »

... can y'all take this to the european politics thread or... whatever. Somewhere else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: February 10, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »

Say that to our faces in the American Politics Thread and see what happens

Spoiler: What Would Happen (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:17:01 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:21 pm »

I want a boss like this.

My favorite part is the simple quote:  "If you have to give back, you took too much."

I wish I could thank him profusely for saying just this.  It's something so obvious that I've been thinking for several years already, but no one else seems to get.

Overall, the speech is sort of rambling and scattered, and he doesn't make a real point.  I wish he did a better job explaining his thoughts on education, because I couldn't follow that part very well.  But it's nice to see some anti-bullshit thinking being put forth on a high profile stage.  Calling much of our modern society what it is:  an addiction to control and a loss of perspective.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:38 am »

Hey, I needed a topic for a presentation in the management course I somehow plunked myself into without realizing it. Yoink!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:01 am »

Another good link, SG... some food for thought there. Wow.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:06 am »

Actually, I find it kind of weird that we don't have a procedure written out for leaving the Union. We should have done so years ago.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: February 11, 2015, 03:03:56 am »

the declaration of independence has the procedure written out - revolution :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:06:31 am by TripJack »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: February 11, 2015, 03:05:50 am »

Didn't exactly work out for the CSA.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: February 21, 2015, 03:37:38 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/legally-married-boss-disagrees-130000885--politics.html

You know, it's just such a discouraging thing. And now, the conservatives have found a catchy tagline called "religious liberty, to backdoor in oppression to gays in a less offensive (for now) way.. He makes the same old tired arguments about "tradition," and it falls flat because:

So let's examine this faulty logic Mr Huckabee is exposing, shall we: "I have with friends who are gay...."
"It’s like asking somebody who’s Jewish to start serving bacon-wrapped-shrimp in their deli. ... or asking a Muslim to serve up something that is offensive to him or to have dogs in his backyard," he said. "We’re so sensitive to make sure we don’t offend certain religions, but then we act like Christians can’t have the convictions that they’ve had for over 2,000 years.""

Wow, so many reasons this is wrong and where to start. Let's just focus on the following 1.) historical false "I have friends" rhetoric, 2.) Idea that not mandating a religion's view into law is persecuting it, and 3.) "Jewish deli bacon wrapped shrimp" comment.

1.) Get suspicious whenever anybody says, "I have _____ friends." That fill in the blank for a group of people has traditionally (there's that word he loves) been used by racists, sexists, and bigots against different faiths to proclaim they aren't racist, sexist or bigoted. Kind of funny how most of those people can't name any of those friends, or state the last time they hung out, what they did together last, or produce a ____ friend who supports them. It's a self proclaimed unsupported statement, that could be supported sooooo easily. Of course, it won't be supported because none of these, frankly imaginary _____ friends are going to willingly stand by and support you while you trample them.....

2.) The idea that not mandating a religion's view into law is persecuting it is flatly incorrect. Whenever somebody talks about whose religion to make law, everybody sticks their hand up, except different religions have different beliefs banning or supporting different things and MANY conflict. There are over 300 different types of "Christianity" (Roman Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodoxy, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, Calvinist, Mormon, Jesuit, Jehovah's Witness, Amish/Rhenish/Mennonite, and that's just the very beginning of a long list). Some religions really ban alcohol; we tried prohibition; it failed, miserably. Same goes for dancing, gambling, interracial marriage, EATING COW (Hindu) and just tons of others. There are even Christian Denominations who support gay marriage, and frankly they can't agree which parts of the bible they want to follow or ignore. So here's the question: Why are we legally allowed to eat cow, but gays can't get married? Those Hindus have believed in sacred cows for a loooong time.....

3.) the "Jewish deli bacon wrapped shrimp" comment is completely off the mark. Nobody forces Jews to open delis, or to serve bacon wrapped shrimp or any other menu item. If there is certain menu item served by the deli to the public, then you can't just refuse to serve that item to certain people due to being say .... Black, or Hispanic, or Buddhist, or Gay. Yeah, if the Deli owner CHOOSES to serve menu item #4 on the menu board, and some black guy comes up and orders a #4, the Deli owner had better not refuse to serve that black dude a #4 because he's black. Here, the deli owner is a baker who opened up a bakery, and the #4 is wedding cakes. No, you can't refuse to sell somebody a #4 just because they're insert thing here _______ (Black, White, Gay, Straight, etc).

If you're a Muslim and you believe alcohol is against your beliefs, ok, but don't take a job in a liquor store and refuse to handle liquor. If you're Jewish, I would recommend not taking jobs on shrimping boats or pork processing plants if you don't wanna handle shrimp or pork. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything and nobody is forcing a deli owner to sell bacon wrapped shrimp or a baker to sell wedding cakes, but if they so chose to do so, they had better not be discriminatory and refuse to sell to a certain group of people.

Huckabee is generally on board with that. He just wants special privileges for his own religion. He'd be aghast at letting Muslims get a job in a liquor store while refusing to handle alcohol. If a Mormon in a restaurant refused to let him drink coffee, he'd be the first to complain. He wants to let Christians get a job in a pharmacy while refusing to dispense birth control. He wants to let Christians work in a county clerk's office - being paid by the government, no less! - while deciding on their own which complete strangers should and shouldn't be allowed to marry.

So, in this context "religious liberty," please note this only applies to Christians, and Hindus better not try to outlaw beef, mean forcing your beliefs on others by rewriting constitutions and laws to make your beliefs law, and thereby punishing those who don't follow your beliefs.

Completely. Inapplicable. Mr. Huckabee. I can't marry some girl without it being a massive fraud. You can just, keep right on believing what you do without passing laws about it. Simple.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:54:28 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: February 23, 2015, 05:34:43 am »

Well, we already knew Huckabee was an idiot. I'm hardly "progressive", either, but it's pretty obvious that he has no idea what he's going on about.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: February 23, 2015, 10:04:32 pm »

Can someone tell me why gay people use the word "partner?" I get that it's an identity thing and that some people oscillate sexual identities like the most sexual jello but I don't get why, for example, a gay woman has to call her girlfriend her "partner." To me it just seems like it's awkward on purpose, idk though, someone probably understands this better than I do.

This seemed like the right thread, sorry if there's a thread I shoulda posted in that I missed or something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:20 pm »

It's partially in solidarity with non-binary people, for example, where "partner" makes more sense than "My genderqueerfriend."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: February 23, 2015, 10:08:24 pm »

Partner is a nice gender-neutral way of referring to your significant other in two syllables.

FAKEEDIT: Yeah, Vector nailed it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 759