Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1244370 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10995 on: December 05, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_29204821/combat-women-raises-draft-question
I find it funny that Obama thinks it is unfortunate that a female draft was already being litigated for.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:57 pm »

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_29204821/combat-women-raises-draft-question
I find it funny that Obama thinks it is unfortunate that a female draft was already being litigated for.
obama didn't say that, though
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10997 on: December 05, 2015, 08:50:49 pm »

obama didn't say that, though
Ah yes. It would seem that it was Defense Secretary Ashton Carter.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:27 pm »

The reason why drafting is a separate discussion is because it's a responsibility rather than a right.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: December 06, 2015, 12:35:27 am »

One would think that true equality would entail equal responsibilities as well as equal rights...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: December 06, 2015, 02:20:44 am »

i dunno, jury duty's apparently a right

the draft seems pretty similar in principle
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: December 06, 2015, 02:25:46 am »

I think it's more like jury duty is the obvious consequence of having a jury of peers for trial be a right.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: December 06, 2015, 02:33:29 am »

the draft seems pretty similar in principle
Are women excluded from jury duty for some reason?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:16 am »

right, shit

opinion retracted, strauder takes precedence

EDIT: no, women aren't excluded from jury duty, but black folks once were

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: December 06, 2015, 02:43:57 am »

Eh, draft's been dead for a while now anyway.

Note that I had to register for the draft. I'm not even a goddamn citizen.
The whole point of Selective Service is that it's basically a pre-draft. If the United States were to get into a conflict and not have enough volunteer soldiers for the job, the draft might come back and those registered for Selective Service (aka every single male within a certain age range) are the first in line to get "volunteered".

Thing is, women were never required to register for Selective Service and I'm not even sure if they could register. That might have made sense when women were forbidden from combat duty, but the times are a-changing and we either need to get rid of Selective Service (on the grounds that we have an additional source of combat troops now) or require women to register as well.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: December 06, 2015, 02:48:37 am »

It just seems obvious that if we establish that women can serve in the military, which they kinda have been, there's no good reason to exclude them from the draft. 

Particularly if we use draftees for non-combat roles like I hear other countries do...

Reading up on this, it does seem like women are basically unable to join the marine infantry because of the exceptionally high physical requirements.  But I wouldn't be able to either, by a long shot.  My understanding is I could probably pass air force or army basic training (probably), based on the way the draft worked in Vietnam and some of my family members who did pass.  And I've met several women fitter than I am.  Even if a median woman can't hack it, a significant proportion should be able to...  I'm not even sure I'm fitter than the median woman.

Anyway...  Why *would* women be exempt from a future draft?  It needs a reason, the default should be equal status.

I always found it funny that they trust a noncitizen with a gun and the training to know how to use it, but not the right to judge morally the crimes of their peers. Though they still summon non-citizens, which is always fun to get.
Wait, noncitizens can serve in the military?  Wtf...
If we're doing that, it really ought to grant citizenship, Roman-style!  Not really joking.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: December 06, 2015, 03:01:24 am »

The only argument I can conceive against it is that if women were conscripted too things like the War of the Triple Alliance, or WW2 for some participants, would end in an empty country instead of a greatly struggling one with a weird gender ratio. Those are extreme examples, and ideally that wouldn't even be a possibility, but regardless of how much water it hilds I'm sure it's crossed the mind of at least one person in charge.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: December 06, 2015, 04:22:04 am »

Selective service is one of those things that exists purely on the basis of government inertia. Gotta spend /more than) your tax dollars on something, after all.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: December 06, 2015, 04:34:34 am »

No, I can see the hypothetical benefits outweighing the costs even today.

Of course, by that I mean I can see the possibility but don't actually know whether or not they do. But not knowing whether or not they do doesn't mean I have any reason to argue against it or for it. Really, I can't even be neutral, I'm just incapable of taking a stance at all.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: December 06, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

Sure, if WWII broke out again, and we weren't willing to start the draftee lists again from scratch, it'd be great. But the odds of WWIII happening in such a way that America needs a 100 division Army seems pretty low to me. Cost vs chance x consequence.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 759