Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Adamantine and Slade Science together with physics quirks  (Read 200539 times)

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Science and physics quirks
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

Except that there is friction.  If you're slicing straight down, perhaps not, but if you're slicing to the side, then you'll cut into an object, and the area above the cut will be pulled down by gravity, pressing against the blade's flat.

Ever tried to cut a tree branch with an oscillating blade?  If you got at it the wrong way, the branch to clamp down on the blade and you risk breaking it.
.     It's already been established, though, that adamantine does not react properly with regular matter because it is nonbaryonic; by all pretenses, it likely repulses regular matter because nonbaryonic matter cannot react with regular atomic structures. It can convect energy between the two, yes, but the lack of atomic interaction effectively renders adamantine, for all intents and purposes, as a wavelength (or something); a material would need to be extremely unreactive/dense to block the penetration of adamantine.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2012, 05:59:04 pm »

I would say it is baryonic, just not atomic.

Something like a high temperature bose-einstien condensate.

It would have friction, but much less of it.  It would still have something similar to chemical properties, but it would not belong on the periodic table.

Friction is caused by irregularities in the surface. A very very large quantum object would still exhibit localized field anomalies due to the large scale of the object, and the short effective range of quantum interractions.  These would manifest macroscopically as being similar to the field anomalies in a chunk of normal matter's electron clouds due to ununiform atomic distributions. (Atoms never touch except inside fusion reactors, and stars. Only interactions with electron clouds.)

Adamantine would be slicker than gooseshit, but not frictionless.  Not even hard vacuum is frictionless.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2012, 06:10:17 pm »

I don't understand this obsession with adamantine medieval ballistics.

Wouldn't it be more practical to just design an adamantine cannon? Adamantine's lack of standard energetic interaction and unusual structure renders it capable of dispersing recoil at ludicrous proportions, and it is durable enough that it overcomes the problems faced by longbarrel cannons designed to improve kinetic force at the expense of structural integrity. Adamantine cannons are also light enough that they are feasibly portable; miniaturisation of such, in fact, could effectively render simple flintlocks.

It is not impractical on the dwarven perspective, either. Dwarves are already capable of manipulating this substance (*ahem* psionics) in whatever fashion they choose. Metal spheres are not a challenge for dwarves. Dwarves already have access to their highly combustive booze as a form of a basic explosive, and it is assumed that dwarves already possess enough access and knowledge on earthen substances to correctly identify what would be ideal for rendering more advanced combustive materiel. Advanced metallurgy and high understanding of ballistic physics is also not a problem, here. Dwarves understand metallurgy to an extent comparable to master metallurgers today (probably beyond), and a basic grapeshot fired in ridiculous quantities by massive adamantine cannons does not require an understanding of physics to be effective on a battlefield.

Portable adamantine cannons designed to fire grapeshot should be an option. Why isn't it an option?
Depending on how well candy deals with the recoil, the cannons could just be carried by dwarves as a personal weapon, although a more complex design would be needed for it to be less unwieldy. Since the cannon wouldn't weight much, and with recoil being minimal, you can have cannoner dorfs waltzing around the battlefield with a backpack full of stone/metal balls and another full of powder.

Poor goblins...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2012, 06:19:58 pm »

I'd like to read the combat reports for grape shot...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:54 pm »

Everything hits everything everywhere, and everything sails off in an arc!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

Everything hits everything everywhere, and everything sails off in an arc!
Would grapeshot reflect off collosi? If so, that would suck.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:31 pm »

Cannon filled with Adamantine strands would probably do somthing like this (at least over short distances)
>Liquifying Metal Death<

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »

After reading somewhat less than all of this, I have proposed a mediocrely scientific, and mathless hypothesis on Adamantine.

Adamantine has the same molar mass as Iron, which is to say each atom of Adamantine is the same mass as Iron
So the difference in weight would lie in density. So, the only way I could think of the density difference and the material strength differences is if the strong / weak nuclear forces and electromagnetic forces were drstically changed to convert iron into adamantine

So if Armok created adamantine, which seems to fit in with his assumed sadistic behavior, from Iron, and Toady extrapolated Adamantine from Iron, does that make Toady Armok? Toady creates a game where loosing is inevitable, just as sadistic as Armok.

Of course im probably made either an improper assumption quickly, or there is infact another way to explain the differences in density.
Im pretty sure about Toady, but it could be a coincidence, or a misjudgement of either's character.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:25 pm »

Armok is not an entity, but rather an idea.  Armok spans across all worlds, even those with no religion, and exists as an ever-present force of conflict and expansion.  Elf slaughter, dwarven axelords, human adventurers who strangle dragons, babies who punch HFS and win, the rising of necromancer towers and the plummet of goblin dark spires, even the megaprojects themselves and the mechanisms that we seek to create and elaborate.

This is Armok incarnate.  Not a singular entity, but a pervasive attitude that turns otherwise rational situations into something violent or constructive - usually both.  In essence, Armok is a Strange Mood.  All are constantly under a mild mood, it's only when purity of spirit strikes that a true mood arises and a dwarf has no choice but to create an artifact.  This is the true meaning of "Slaves to Armok".  Dwarves, the chosen race, are slaves to Armok's pervasive drive to construct artifacts.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2012, 10:59:01 pm »

Off-topic, but I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums.  It might just be that I'm paying more attention to it now, though.

Anyway, for some reason I always seem to picture adamantine blades as standard longswords, as opposed to any other kind of weapon, like axes.  I don't know why that is, but it's largely shaped my thinking in this thread so far.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2012, 12:16:50 am »

Armok is not an entity, but rather an idea.  Armok spans across all worlds, even those with no religion, and exists as an ever-present force of conflict and expansion.  Elf slaughter, dwarven axelords, human adventurers who strangle dragons, babies who punch HFS and win, the rising of necromancer towers and the plummet of goblin dark spires, even the megaprojects themselves and the mechanisms that we seek to create and elaborate.

This is Armok incarnate.  Not a singular entity, but a pervasive attitude that turns otherwise rational situations into something violent or constructive - usually both.  In essence, Armok is a Strange Mood.  All are constantly under a mild mood, it's only when purity of spirit strikes that a true mood arises and a dwarf has no choice but to create an artifact.  This is the true meaning of "Slaves to Armok".  Dwarves, the chosen race, are slaves to Armok's pervasive drive to construct artifacts.
Even considering all posts you have posted on this forum, this has to be the greatest yet.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums.

I wonder if I could fit this into my sig...

You HAD to see it coming...

Even considering all posts you have posted on this forum, this has to be the greatest yet.
Girlinhat once had a strange mood in which she made made an artifact post. Now she is a legendary post writer. That is but a masterwork post.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2012, 05:11:59 am »

Girlinhat once had a strange mood in which she made made an artifact post. Now she is a legendary post writer. That is but a masterwork post.
[/quote]
And where is this so called artefact post located? I would love to read it. :D
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2012, 05:16:53 am »

Just let me check through all those >9000 posts of Girlinhat's, I'll see if I can find it.

Makes me feel puny... She registered 18 days before I did, yet she has ~7300 posts more than I do...
Damn it, it get's worse. Loud Whispers registered about half a year ago, and has 10000 posts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:30:42 am by Oliolli »

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2012, 06:27:28 am »

'Quantumtroll The Mashing of Brains' was a legendary raw adamantine bound forum thread. The written portion consists of a 17 page forum discussion entitled 'Adamantine Science and physics quirks', authored collaboratively by the Dwarf Fortress Community. It concerns the nature and behaviour of Adamantine and its resultant efficacy as a weapon material. The writing is very complex.

In the late summer (or winter if you're up north) of 2012, Quantumtroll The mashing of brains was created in the Bay12 Forums by Blizzlord the bay watcher.

In the early autumn (or spring if your up north) of 2012, Quantumtroll The mashing of brains was made awesome in the Bay12 Forums by the Dwarf Fortress community of Practical Physicists.

In the early autumn (or spring if your up north) of 2012, Quantumtroll The mashing of brains was made awesome in the Bay12 Forums by the Dwarf Fortress community of Theoretical Physicists.

In the early autumn (or spring if your up north) of 2012, Quantumtroll The mashing of brains was slightly derailed but still made even more awesome in the Bay12 Forums by Cultists of Armok.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36