Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [POLL] Preferred Mafia Gametypes - Please share  (Read 7149 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
[POLL] Preferred Mafia Gametypes - Please share
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:32:47 am »

QUICK-REFERENCE SUMMARY

Of particular note:
-Who's moderating the game seems to be important, as Meph and webadict have been mentioned a number of times (seems to be moreso for the types of games they favor running, but weigh in if you just like a particular mod's style of running the game)
-Role-Heavy games are getting a large amount of approval
-Bastard/puzzle/unusual game types also have a lot of support
-More flavor in games has been called for

Honorable mentions:
-Balanced teams
-Fewer 3rd parties
-Role-light
-Quick games
-Open games (roles known)
-Guaranteed sanity/results (no insane/paranoid/fake-/0%/etc.)

Notes:
-Adding a quick reference area at the top to sum up what everyone is saying, so people that may want to use this as a resource don't have to read the whole thread to see what is favored.
-Top area is basically (for now) anything that more than one person has mentioned
-Second area is for things that have only been mentioned once
-Criteria subject to change if more people chime in thier thoughts.

This isn't a traditional poll with options to vote on, but more of an open poll where you can possibly give more detail in your response. 

I've been knocking around ideas in my head for a game setup, and I'm curious to know what the players in this subforum (dis)like/want to see in the games they play.  Obviously, this information can be used by anyone wanting to run a game.

So, everyone, what Mafia games do you like to play?  Few players, many players, role-heavy, bastard, etc.  What characteristics do you like to have in games you join?  What characteristics do you dislike?  What makes games a must-join (or a must-avoid)?  The more you share, I think, the more those who are making setups can come up with games that would appeal to a wider audience. 

To start:  I certainly like the idea of puzzles in Mafia games.  Bastard games qualify, obviously, and I think the Dethy setup looks like it would be interesting as well.  I also really like it when the players have some degree of customization with thier role.  Meph's Paranormal series is a good example, with being able to pick which tech items you want to use.  Actually, Meph's Paranormal series is just pretty good period. 

I think the BYOR games tend to be pretty interesting, both because of what roles people send in, and because they tend to be ability-heavy games.  The King of the Mafia games are pretty amusing to read, as they are ability-heavy as well. 

I don't really feel strongly about flavor one way or another. 

Vanilla games seem pretty uninteresting to me, and hammer-only games look like they just drag out. 

So, please share any and all thoughts about what you do and don't want to see in Mafia games.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [POLL] Preferred Mafia Gametypes - Please share
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:42:13 am »

Anything done by Meph.

[/thread]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:22:37 pm »

^ that.

And any Wuba bastard.

Or strange mechanics.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:43:44 am »

Role-heavy/BYO-type/Bastard games.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:58:33 am »

Role heavy games with balanced teams and limited third parties.

The less SKs, Cults, Jesters, etc. the better.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:09 am »

I find Cult games fascinating on a primal level, but I don't know how much I really enjoy playing them. I think I personally prefer role-light games, like near-mountainous mafia.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »

To be honest, I'm kindof starting to think I really don't like role-light games.  Simply because it means the optimal strategy for mafia is to lurk as much as possible and kill whoever talks the most in the day, rather than attempt to identify power roles or move against potential enemies.  You can also bus as many buddies as you like as long as you think you won't be lynched, since there's no chance of you being caught in any other way (wheras with roles you need to keep your numbers up for insurance, and therefore actually work together in the day to some extent).

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:37:17 pm »

To be honest, I'm kindof starting to think I really don't like role-light games.  Simply because it means the optimal strategy for mafia is to lurk as much as possible and kill whoever talks the most in the day, rather than attempt to identify power roles or move against potential enemies.  You can also bus as many buddies as you like as long as you think you won't be lynched, since there's no chance of you being caught in any other way (wheras with roles you need to keep your numbers up for insurance, and therefore actually work together in the day to some extent).
True.

The only way to break that is to have everyone talk.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:21:44 pm »

And one way to do that is to give people slightly more investment and interest in the game than just "townie".

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

Very good points for a role-heavier game, and I think the interest in BYORs and Paranormal bears that out.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »

I certainly prefer role-heavy games as well, but another thing that makes a game fun and memorable is flavour. We need more flavourful games, and interesting settings. As said above, roles give people a sense of investment and strategy, while flavour gives them an enjoyable setting and some character; some meat around the bone.

Also, quick(ish) games are really fun, and puzzles are always cool. The best antidote against lurking and disinterest are fast, role-heavy, flavourful games, I think.

Finally, I'm always up for experimental or weird games, as long as they have some sense of balance or that the mod knows what they're doing. Some examples of my favourites are Paranormals, BYORs (thought they need moar flava!), quickbastards, and similar.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »

I certainly prefer role-heavy games as well, but another thing that makes a game fun and memorable is flavour. We need more flavourful games, and interesting settings. As said above, roles give people a sense of investment and strategy, while flavour gives them an enjoyable setting and some character; some meat around the bone.

Also, quick(ish) games are really fun, and puzzles are always cool. The best antidote against lurking and disinterest are fast, role-heavy, flavourful games, I think.

Finally, I'm always up for experimental or weird games, as long as they have some sense of balance or that the mod knows what they're doing. Some examples of my favourites are Paranormals, BYORs (thought they need moar flava!), quickbastards, and similar.
I would love to do flavor, but I get writer's block easily, so I just don't.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »

You know, I was trying to come up with an answer to this question, and couldn't.  I guess I tend toward the role-heavier games, but I almost prefer to go more by who's modding it than what it is.  Pretty much anything Web or Meph hosts I'll join... though I find myself in the majority of games here.

It is true that the role-heavier games get more action here.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:04 pm »

Paranormal has a pretty strong set of roles, yeah.  One thing we don't really seem to have much of is closed setups that aren't BYORs or bastards, which can be kindof cool.

One of the most interesting setups I've ever seen though was one where everyone had the same role (well, the mafia got a couple of extra abilities) but with sufficient choices that lots of weird stuff could happen (archived version so unfinished, can't be bothered to find the actual complete thread right now).  I guess I liked the idea of townies being able to choose to become "serial killers" (well, variants) too.  I'd quite like to see something where the players essentially decide what their roles are in game, although obviously that would be hard to balance.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

Mafiascum has some interesting ideas.  Two that jump out is one that each team had an overlord that could buy abilities for his team, and another where the power roles were auctioned off between mafia and town.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: [1] 2