Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: {[COMMUNITY SUCCESION FORT]} Litastcog-Torchboots 34.05  (Read 8598 times)

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Come Learn Dwarf Fortress!
Re: {[COMMUNITY SUCCESION FORT]} Litastcog-Torchboots 34.05
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »

First Official Log of Planning Head ZestDwarf
Entry II:
So i be walkin down the halls again. when that dwarfy Mr.Frog comes a runnin up to me clutching some of my old journal entries.  "Zestdwarf!" he says. "The grammar and sentence structure in these journals is atrocious! You must realize that such sloppy looking writing will scare off future migrants. Additionally, why do you write in the same accent you speak in?"
Now i could'nt believe it, it took me a moment before i says back. "OIE. Havent ye ever heard of "Brodwanglish"? It be a mixture of broken dwarf, English, and 5 other human dialects mercilessly butchered and tossed into one!"
Needless to say, the argument ended with us both using beer barrels to knock each other senseless, then we both had a drink.
Alright i says to him. Fer the good o' the fort i'll make the official logs all neat and proper.

Entry III:
I heard the trading caravan passed us last year, so i was determined to find out why. After surveying the area i noticed that a wall was built in a way that didn't allow caravans to pass. I remedied the situation.

A little chunk of wall was all that stopped them. I hope this change does not come to late!

Entry IV:
Noticing the food shortage, i quickly carved out a butchers workshop and a tanners next to the farm. That poor sick yak calk will starve in the sand, so i might as well get some use out of it. I informed a dwarf named logem that he would be the temporary butcher since he had some experience with a blade and was not doing anything important.
On an unrelated note, HOLY ELF SPANKERS; the carpenters workshop is wasting all our precious wood on bins! I immediately cut his order in half.

Entry V:

Found the rooms! Why in Armoks name they are 14 levels below everything is a little confusing, but i will leave the inefficiency alone for now. It is possible that our greater fort will be down there, and the farther i am away from that skin peeling sand the better.

Entry VI:
Why all the pets in the fort are above ground is a little confusing, how can a dwarf get comfort from a pet when it's up in the burning hell hole we call a surface?
---
As i was up on top, a few eagle men drifted by. I was a little nervous, but they flew past without attacking. I summoned the military up just in case but when they passed i let return to the fort.

Entry VII:
The Yak calf has been slaughtered, Food for everyone!
On another food note, i noticed another dwarf had skill with the feilds so i had him start working on the farm as well, it is now bursting with delicious mushrooms! I'm now making a larger farm north of the butchery and future kitchens.

I also moved the barracks, now our men have a larger area to train, and it is in direct line of site with the entrance in case any of those elf spanking goblins try to pull a fast one. did i mention i hate goblins more than sand?
The militia commander nearly knocked my block off when i told them to carry no food, but i calmed him down by reminding him his new bigger barracks was right next to the food stockpiles. I've had to many scenarios where a military recruit claims all the food to himself and leaves everyone to starve. (I'm not sure if they have fixed that bug yet)
After i finish digging through this damn sand, i plan on digging deeper into the earth, it will calm my nerves.

Entry VIII:
As much as i hate sending a poor dwarf into the desert, desperate times call for desperate measures. One of our dwarves seemed pretty good at trapping and hunting, so i sent him out to go do so. Poor fellow, i told him that while he was eating, spewed yak meat all over himself.

Oddly... right after i told him to do that he started running around the dining hall carrying the yaks meat, I guess i mistook his reaction for a negative one. He does seem "Ecstatic".
After watching him run around for a while, he suddenly fell asleep on the ground, complaining of thirst as well... has my order driven him insane?

Entry IX:
I heard the reports just a few minutes ago. MIGRANTS! This is good news! ... but why does the ground tremble with their arrival?

HOLY ELF-SPANKIN DWARF RUSH. I was nearly crushed under the wave of dwarves eagerly rushing into the fort! All Twenty-three of them must be a pack of escaped convicts or fools to want a scrap of this sun parched hell.
With how proficient all of them were in fighting i wouldn't be surprised if they are convicts... ah well, better start making rooms for all of them.
One of them is a very good jeweler, i had him create a jewelers shop to cut all these gems we have lying around.
On the subject of valuables.. i wish i could smelt all this gold i have lying around... maybe i should start digging for deeper lava pits.
A dwarf asked me to start putting dates on my entries... so i decided to do so.

Entry X: The sixth of Felsite
Had our first "divine inspiration", and I'm thinking that it's just heat stroke. He claimed a masons shop, and I pray to Armok we have everything he needs.
Update: What luck! Time to crack open a cask of that dwarven wine! i dont care if everyones sick of it! The last peice of wood was narrowly saved and the "inspired" dwarf is working away!

Entry XI: The Ninth of Felsite:
Well, that was a hangover i wont forget... in my stupor i tunneled into a large cavern underground, i sent a mason down to wall it off for now. Don't want any Elf-spanking Bat men to fly up and chew on my face while i sleep.

Entry XII: The Fourteenth of Felsite:
Huzzah! it is created!

a rock.... bed? ... uh yea! fit for a king!

Entry XIII: The Fifteenth of Felsite:
A caravan! boy have i never been happier to see elves!

Wood! delicious wood!
I also purchased some fine elven booze from them. This stuff is not nearly as strong as dwarven brew, but it will give some of the complaining dwarves some variety.

Entry XIV:
Summer. i can feel the beard curling heat already...
Come learn the game, or share your favorite DF stories with me on my twitch channel! https://www.twitch.tv/bluezesttv

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »

Im gonna explain the depth of the rooms now. I was planning on it to be that far so miners could sleep down there with the civilians elsewhere, to shorten mining. Obviously you can tell I am Pro-Ingot Making.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:52 pm »

6x6 embark -> fort is bound for a slow and horrible FPS death in a few years. Just saying.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 02:04:25 pm »

6x6 embark -> fort is bound for a slow and horrible FPS death in a few years. Just saying.

Yeeeeah :3
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

(someone post a mini journal while I'm working on the next season)
Come learn the game, or share your favorite DF stories with me on my twitch channel! https://www.twitch.tv/bluezesttv

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »

-Journal of Coraiunki, Craftsdwarf-

Hello Journal, a elven caravan arrived today. Our wood and booze stockpiles are finally full again and dwarves have stopped complaining. We also breached a cavern. I'm never going down there, that is for sure. Who knows whats down there? I wonder if I can get those Yak bones to craft...haven't crafted bones in a year. Maybe I should ask Zestdwarf to get some bone crafts going.

(I am adequate in Bone and Stone crafts)

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 04:23:08 pm »

Second Official Log of Planning Head ZestDwarf:
First Entry 14 Hematite:
The Elven caravan left, we should be good to go till the next caravan comes.
Today i established a bookkeeper and a manager. Corai had the skills so he is the manager for now, i gave him some orders for tables, chairs, and beds to be made for all the new migrants.
The new bookkeeper is a dwarf who doesnt have any other jobs, he is an elf spankin carpenter, and in a dry hole like this we dont need one of those.

Second Entry 21 Hematite:
First child has been born! more celebration! I've been itching to try that fisherberry wine...

Third Entry 2nd Malachite:
Second Child! more booze!

Fourth Entry 4th Malachite:
More migrants! 17 dwarves and half of them are children and babies. Do these people think that the desert is the best place to raise a family?
As i went out to greet the new migrants, i noticed the food baking in the trade depot. I'll be digging through more Elf-Spankin sand for the new stockpile...

It's right below the original one.

Fifth Entry 23 Malachite:
While merrily digging down deep into the earth, i came upon a large crack in the earth, heading deep down into a chasm.  now we must dig dipper into the wonderful rock!

Fifth Entry 17th Galena:
Someone informed me that a dwarf withdrew from society, after searching for him we found the dwarf holed up in a craftsdwarf workshop. He looks like hes working on something....

Its finished! ... A ring id be proud to out on my trustiest pick!

Sixth Entry 22nd Galena:
Finally the third cavern! and what luck, we breached into it right above a magma pool!

Ah such a beautiful site... i must dig deeper!

Seventh Entry 26th Galena:
Another child has been born. We are in the midst of a baby boom!

Eigth Entry:
Finally. Autumn... do i feel a drop in temperature?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:20 pm »

-Journal of Coraiunki, Manager of Torchboots-

I recently got back into nobility, as a manager! Tables, chairs, and beds. Its nice to be back in the government. We been breaching more and more caverns, I worry for the safety of the miners and for Zestdwarf, rumors of demons and giant beasts are returning from my childhood. Perhaps I should bring these to Zestdwarf. We are also getting wave after wave of babies and children. We need more beds.

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »

Third Official Log Of Planning Head ZestDwarf:
First Entry 10th Limestone:
Another girl was born to a member of the military. With no wars to fight the dwarves seem to have little to do but make the dirty.
Almost ran out of booze! luckly i have created two stills and two craft shops to make more.

Second Entry:
I put the last of the new migrants into rooms, i drilled them out above the other rooms. sooner or later i should make a bigger selection.

Carved out the design myself!

Third Entry:
I'm digging deeper into the earth through the pillars in the cave. Careful measurements are key here...
I'm also putting down some Diorite floor in the entrance. Making this place look neat and respectable.

Ive enlisted all the idle dwarves in the effort. Sitting around in the sand is bad for moral... and underwear.

Fourth Entry 15th Sandstone:
More migrants?? what do they see in this place? 15 more nutcases... I sense a goblin army soon...

Fifth Entry 12th Timber:
A caravan from the mountainhomes! I'm tempted to hitch a ride....

Sixth Entry 26th Timber:
I fixed the entrance to Corai's home. Now he can access it through the fort, much more secure. I'm also building a gate on the front door in case a larger force than we can handle shows up.
Couple of Elf-Spankin, rotten disgusting little goblin child snatchers showed up! killed two of them pretty quick with the military boys.

Corais house may have gotten splattered with lots of goblin blood... it's paint! i swear!

Seventh Entry:
Finally winter. I look foreward to handing the reigns off to Mr. Frog come spring. I hope he is ready.

(Where is the place i can upload the fort?)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:36:50 pm by ZestDwarf »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:16 pm »

Wait... 6x6? Sorry, but there's no way that my computer can handle that... I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out :(
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:33 pm »

Wait... 6x6? Sorry, but there's no way that my computer can handle that... I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out :(

If my 9 year old 80% full computer with one memory card can make it run faster then a cheetah, Im sure you can, but I will respect your wishes.

(Thanks for the paint :D)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 05:58:02 pm »

@Corai:
I suppose I could give it a try... I did hear tell of coding optimizations, so perhaps large embarks are less laggy? Your fast speed was likely because we didn't have many residents, though.

If it does get too slow to continue, I say we abandon and then make a new 4x4 embark in the same world somewhere (fun fact: Historical figures can immigrate, and every dwarf in your previous fort becomes a historical figure by default. You do the math.)

I'm going to wait a bit before deciding whether to get into this, because I just spent 3 hours trying and failing to get a program to work correctly and I'm feeling too omnicidal to think clearly.

In any case, the post list is up on my first post now. I haven't put the side posts up yet.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't think I can do this. This isn't really a good time for me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:08:25 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

ZestDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 06:56:14 pm »

Fourth Official Entry Of ZestDwarf Planning Leader:

Not much happening this season. i added another couple levels to Corais hut to make it a tower of sorts. I did so because i wanted to add windows but wanted them high enough so goblins couldn't throw rocks through the window.
Also we had about 6 births, quite a few, im too busy mining down below to record each one.

Second Entry 24th Opal:
MURDER. ELF SPANKING MURDER. Avuz Datantolis, our beloved trader was found completly drained of blood!.. we have a vampire problem afoot!... Time to go hunting...

Third Entry:
Found him. fool was spouting on about how many civilizations he had belonged too, and he was a bit weak looking.
Ive managed to trick him into a secret part of the underground and walled him in. We can decide what to do with him later!
I once belonged to a fort that sealed a vampire in hell....

Nasty blood sucking undead Elf Spanker... hope ya rot in there for good!

Fourth Entry 28th Opal:
Huzzah! a new artifact for the pile of treasures we are soon to amass!

a shield... out of bone?..... i think ill put that with the bed...

Fifth Entry 6th Obsidian:
Forgive the wet marks, for i am drooling as i write this. as i peer into the channel i created above the magma sea, i have located precious adamantine! I will try to scrape off a layer before heading back to the surface... wouldn't want to meet any scaly skinned horned elf spankers by digging to deep.

Sixth Entry:
Spring!
Finally my time is done, I'm going to spend my time deep within the mines.
Argh! another body drained of blood? another vampire? or somebody killed before we sealed the devil away!
It is up to the next Leader to handle, im going deep down below.
Make sure you bury the poor dead fellows, i have the coffins in the workers que.

Here is the fort! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5933

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:04:37 pm by ZestDwarf »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 07:52:00 pm »

Use the Dwarf Fortress File Depot, like I said earlier. You have to register, but doing so is free and takes about 2 minutes, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »

Vampires, my word.

And yeah, we would need to restart in a 4x4. Lets see how the next year goes first.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4