Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432899 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #690 on: April 09, 2012, 10:46:01 am »

So... If we of The Twelfth Bay elected to have Gizogin shove pieces of Corai the Kobold into KodKod's legs... She would fly?

Would the pieces have to be periodically replaced?

EDIT (by request (never had this happen before)):
-WhatHeSaidSnip-
I tried to hint at it, but I guess I didn't do a good enough job.

The fortress I'm running - my DF version of The Twelfth Bay - is currently in its second Spring now. All of this was happening in Autumn of the first year. We survived - the situation resolved itself in a rather interesting way.

I'm not allowed to assign anyone jobs that they didn't specifically request in this thread. As a result, we have almost no woodcutters, tanners, architects, and some others.
We have iron bolts now - no need to make wooden ones, except for archery practice.
I'll get to work on the crossbows anyway. As to the crossbow squads, I'm not allowed to draft anyone from the Bay12 forums who didn't specifically state they could be archers.
About tons of wooden spikes: we only have a small handful of carpenters.  That makes things a little difficult.
Of course she would fly, it's just logical. When you can't walk it's because there aren't enough working bones in your legs. Clearly the reason dwarves can't fly is because their legs don't have enough bones in them. If you added more working bones to the legs you fly.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:14 am »

Of course she would fly, it's just logical. When you can't walk it's because there aren't enough working bones in your legs. Clearly the reason dwarves can't fly is because their legs don't have enough bones in them. If you added more working bones to the legs you fly.

Giant Cave Spiders have a full eight legs, so I suggest you explain your theory to them first of all, and ask for volunteers.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:35 am »

Giant Cave Spiders have a full eight legs, so I suggest you explain your theory to them first of all, and ask for volunteers.
Last time I checked... spiders don't have bones... :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:45 am »

And why does that stop you from adding bones?
/人‿‿人\

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:49 am »

What reason would I have?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 09, 2012, 11:01:01 am »

You don't have any reason, but Mister Stalin seems rather keen on the idea.
/人‿‿人\

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 09, 2012, 11:01:10 am »

Spiders, Scorpions, and all other insects wear their bones on the outside making experimenting on them complicated. The exoskeleton is a stupid fad and I expect it will end shortly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #697 on: April 09, 2012, 11:01:45 am »

Inventing a new form of bone structure is always worth the crime against nature.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 09, 2012, 11:05:24 am »

It's not a crime against nature until onlookers are stunned and/or horrified for a good 30 seconds by the sight of it alone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #699 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:14 am »

Well I don't think they'd notice the skeleton inside the Giant Spider...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 09, 2012, 11:06:53 am »

You don't have any reason, but Mister Stalin seems rather keen on the idea.
Ahhhh, I meant about spiders. I didn't say anything about you. :P

It's not a crime against nature until onlookers are stunned and/or horrified for a good 30 seconds by the sight of it alone.
You're a true dwarf.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:16 am »

Inventing a new form of bone structure is always worth the crime against nature.

It's worth doing simply for the sake of the crime against nature. If science can't play god, we should never have even crawled out of the water!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:08 am »

Well, I'm ready to go to work on those cats.  As with all animals, cats reproduce via spores, so traditional methods of population control will not work.  One possibility would be to completely encase all the female cats in metal.  This would prevent them from being impregnated, and would keep those that have already been impregnated from actually giving birth.  While there are several merits to this idea, it will not completely solve the problem, as those cats which have adopted dwarves likely will not consent to the procedure.
For those cats, I plan to stitch a small cage to them.  This will contain the kittens without unduly restricting the mobility of the mother cat.  When the kittens have matured, they can be butchered or metalicized, or just left in the cage.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 09, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »

I understand we're human and all, but come on, we can learn how to do crap! And we have the dwarves, again, who can show us how to do this in a sort-of right way.

We're adaptable, toolmaking, above average sized monkeies goddamnit! You saying the majority of us are incapable of learning anything? besides, who said anything we humies do had to be fancy? Even I could make a chair with enough nails and vaugly shaped pieces of wood; whatever was too long, saw. too short.... nail a smaller bit on the bottom! This is coming from a person with only limited carpentry skills (I used to help my dad with stuff requiring more than 2 hands.)
Wouldn't exactly be comfortable, but it'd be better than standing. And probably look like a bunch of scrap wood bits glued together.... Bet making spikes would be a bitch for us though.

I would imagine anything we did try to do would end badly the first few times though at least. very badly. And result in dwarves laughing at us for our ineptitude with wood and stone. masonry and most forms of metalworking I could totally understand damn near none of us knowing how to do, cause I'm not even sure what all of the tools for those are.

But it still seems like an unecessarily imposed challenge, since we humans are intelligent and quite capable of learning new things sort of quickly. Not like dwarves, but still.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #704 on: April 09, 2012, 12:31:44 pm »

On the topic of sky whales
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 214