Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432098 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #735 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »

The enemy has arrived and are attacking!

The elves are bringing the full force of there land against you!

The dead walk, hide while you can!

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

The kobolds have arrived in force!

And they all come to say one thing, HAPPY 50TH PAGE, THE TWELTH BAY! ENJOY OUR !!FUN!! PRESENTS!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #736 on: April 09, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »

50? Just 15 for me

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 09, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »

modding the forum settings doesn't count :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 09, 2012, 10:15:54 pm »

Aye, I'm on default settings (except I have the Darkling theme). 50 pages here.

And it'd be interesting to see our forts written up in a weird metastory thing. I would love to write a story of my forts. Creaturebolt, Boldropes I and II, Zalisiden, Limulunnos and now finally Sabreheals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »

Fabric dye, for the most part, makes terrible ink.  It is invariably combined with a mineral salt "mordant" to help it bind to the fiber of the fabric, which is deleterious to metal pen tips, and to paper/parchment.

In additon to that, it flows poorly, goes down waaaaaaay too wet, and runs out on the dip pen too quickly, in addition to running and bleeding on the paper or parchment.

Terrible.

Better is genuine india ink, made from a light vegetable oil, alcohol, lamp black, and cedar rosin.

A passable cheap knockoff can be made with milk whey and lamp black as well, gently boiled down to thicken.

Genuine irongall black is made from fermented oak galls and iron chloride, kept in sealed bottles. This is also deleterious to paper and metal pen tips, but does not bleed as badly, and is completely indellable.

Indigo ink, made from white ammonia with indigotin dissolved in it, also works fairly well, and is one of the few exceptions to plant dye based inks. (Indigo complex is insoluble in water, but reduces in contact with alkaline solvents, forming "indigo white", which is water soluble. This is how indigo is applied as a dyestuff.  The blue color comes from oxidative reaction with the atmosphere, and evaporation of the ammonia in the dyebath. It slowly turns from colorless to deep blue as it develops.)

Red inks were either made from (inferior) madder, or (superior) dragon's blood accacia sap.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 09, 2012, 10:19:45 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 09, 2012, 10:22:03 pm »

Personally, I prefer hydrocyanic acid, lovingly added to almond marsipan, drizzled with honey and toffee bits.

It works wonders on children.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »

DONT DERAIL THIS THREAD!
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:34 pm »

Personally, I prefer hydrocyanic acid, lovingly added to almond marsipan, drizzled with honey and toffee bits.

It works wonders on children.

We should sell that to Kodkod for her fortresses. Her undying 'love' for dwarven children is at the very least masterwork.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did we just invent religion?

Ah, that would have to be a great tome to Armok, whom the dwarves think is nonexistant.

This is the Great Tome of Armok. It is bound in the finest cat leather, encircled and studded with steel, encrusted with the finest cuts of onyx and obsidian and a great volcano is present upon the front cover above a great 12 in elf bone, with masterfully laid ruby for lava/magma. Upon the back is an image of a strange mechanical device and a human. The human is being sucked into the device. The image is in goblin bone and relates to the will of Armok being carried out. It's words are largely of magma, !!SCIENCE!! and !!FUN!! in the parlence of those who wrote it. it's words are bourne upondog-based parchment of masterful quality. In place of any ink is blood of unknown orgin, theorized to be that of any number of animals, races, or even Armok himself. Upon the inside front cover is an image of a burning dwarf and volcanos in obsidian. The dwarf is surrounded by the volcanos. The dwarf is forcing the volcanos to erupt. The image is theorized to relate to the forging of worlds by Armok, commonly represented as a male dwarf. Upon the inside back cover is one of the Spawn of Holistic in elephant ivory. The Spawn is striking a menacing pose.

Couldn't resist. Also, the dye was just what came to mind first when I thought of what dwarves used to write.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »

Killer confectionary is one of my specialties.

Ricin red bean mochi is another fine choice, but most western children are put off by the bland rice dough, and unique texture of the red bean jam.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 09, 2012, 10:35:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did we just invent religion?

Ah, that would have to be a great tome to Armok, whom the dwarves think is nonexistant.

This is the Great Tome of Armok. It is bound in the finest cat leather, encircled and studded with steel, encrusted with the finest cuts of onyx and obsidian and a great volcano is present upon the front cover above a great 12 in elf bone, with masterfully laid ruby for lava/magma. Upon the back is an image of a strange mechanical device and a human. The human is being sucked into the device. The image is in goblin bone and relates to the will of Armok being carried out. It's words are largely of magma, !!SCIENCE!! and !!FUN!! in the parlence of those who wrote it. it's words are bourne upondog-based parchment of masterful quality. In place of any ink is blood of unknown orgin, theorized to be that of any number of animals, races, or even Armok himself. Upon the inside front cover is an image of a burning dwarf and volcanos in obsidian. The dwarf is surrounded by the volcanos. The dwarf is forcing the volcanos to erupt. The image is theorized to relate to the forging of worlds by Armok, commonly represented as a male dwarf. Upon the inside back cover is one of the Spawn of Holistic in elephant ivory. The Spawn is striking a menacing pose.

Couldn't resist. Also, the dye was just what came to mind first when I thought of what dwarves used to write.

I've gotten to the winter of Zapp Dwarf, I love the irony in adamanite.

"NO MORE"

"YOU GET TO HANDLE IT SINCE YOU WANT TO! :D"

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 09, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »

why am i a cop if i am a soldier?  granted the difference between the two is blurred these days, but i have next to no skills in detention.  all i know how to do is fight and kill.

i should be a bit more specific, i guess.  i was a cavalry scout.  i am at the very least "skilled" in observation and ambushing.  i am at least a competent spearman.  actually, perhaps competent in all the basic combat skills (armor, dodging, fighting, wrestling, striking, kicking...  not so much the biting *his front upper tooth is missing!*)

ive worked administratively, so i have some skill in organizer.  i'm at least novice mason (dad owned a bricklaying company), dabbling carpenter.  survival training has gained me skill in trapping and herbalism.  oh, i suppose i'm adequate miner as well.  give me a month and an e-tool and i will dig you out a comfortable place to live.

i suppose my skill at rifle marksmanship would somehow be translated to croassbowmanship.  not sure what my computer repair, large diesel engine maintenance, and armorer/gunsmithing skills would translate out to.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 09, 2012, 10:43:39 pm »

Engineering and weapon/armorsmithing of course.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »

Killer confectionary is one of my specialties.

Ricin red bean mochi is another fine choice, but most western children are put off by the bland rice dough, and unique texture of the red bean jam.

My years in various hives of scum and villainy on the 'Tubes must have really messed up my instinctive horror response as while I still fear to ask how you know so much on this particular subject the fact that you do isn't particularly disturbing beyond that.  Almost makes me worry.

/Back to the Topic!

RAKninja: If I get you a good crossbow you wanna ride one of my elephants? If you prefer a recon role I could try and 'persuade' the next batch of elves to donate a Giant Cheetah/Jaguar for your use instead.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 214