Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432872 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #780 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:55 am »

Given none of us probably know how to use medival artillary or even how to assemble them, the aim would probably be atrocious at first.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 10, 2012, 12:29:24 am »

@Metalhead:
I hesitate to post this, but.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I'm working on part 3.

Splint: Assembling medieval artillery is easy - I could easily draw schematics. :P I'm sure some of us know how to make basic firearms. The advantage of gunpowder would have us in far better shape than any elves or goblins that came our way. Megabeasts wouldn't stand a chance, either, once we got set up.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:41 am »

I just want to set up a huge perpetual-motion aquifer-powered hydro-electric generator, so we can zap things and the dwarves, elves, and native humans can go "what sorcery is this!?"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:24 am »

Given none of us probably know how to use medival artillary or even how to assemble them, the aim would probably be atrocious at first.

Fair enough, which is why we practice first.

Also, from the previous reports I learned we have giant eagles and keas (had no idea what they were before) that might also serve for your recon mounts RAK.  However, the latest report on fort progress was less-than-optimistic so I don't know if we're going to have much of a chance to develop military doctrine and strategy for the fort's defence just yet.

Post-Interrupt (thanks to Talvieno): I was just going to ask for entry layout for potential ideas later (yours first, as it kinda is your fort).  However I'm not sure what you meant by 'I hate to post this, but.'  Is the fort full, did I die already, or what?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 10, 2012, 12:40:47 am »

Ok, onagers I'll give you cause most roman soldiers could assemble those. but for the really nasty stuff we'd need cranes and such.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:43 am »

Post-Interrupt (thanks to Talvieno): I was just going to ask for entry layout for potential ideas later (yours first, as it kinda is your fort).  However I'm not sure what you meant by 'I hate to post this, but.'  Is the fort full, did I die already, or what?
No, it's just that: 1. My fort isn't "official" (nobody has said anything anywhere near to that, lol), and posting a pic makes it seem like it, 2. It's a raw spoilerite image, as that's from after the next writeup, 3. I get the feeling the layout is easily criticized. But, if people criticize it, they'll propose changes, and since this is kind of a "community fortress" (to the full extent of the phrase), I'll make changes anyone proposes. Also, if you demand rooms, I'll carve them out, but be aware it'll slow down development elsewhere. :P

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:43 am »

Okiedokie, well, what few skills I have would likely not be applicable in any way in DF... I'd say Novice Engraver, Record Keeper/whatever the hell skill the bookkeeper uses, and maybe Comedian (I try, really, I do). If you can come up with a decent DF-analogue to programming, maybe that as well.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:51 am »

That's an umm... interesting setup we've got there on the for entrance.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 10, 2012, 12:50:25 am »

I'd say lump programming in with engineering for simplicity's sake.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 10, 2012, 12:55:53 am »

No, it's just that: 1. My fort isn't "official" (nobody has said anything anywhere near to that, lol), and posting a pic makes it seem like it, 2. It's a raw spoilerite image, as that's from after the next writeup, 3. I get the feeling the layout is easily criticized. But, if people criticize it, they'll propose changes, and since this is kind of a "community fortress" (to the full extent of the phrase), I'll make changes anyone proposes. Also, if you demand rooms, I'll carve them out, but be aware it'll slow down development elsewhere. :P

Works for me.  I'll wait until your next update before I suggest anything, and if the room thing's a hassle right now then no worries.  However as you are the one who went through the trouble of founding and running a fortress for the sake of this thread to the extent of 'exploiting' the game for 50+ starting individuals I would say that your fort might as well be THE fort for this thread (unless you really can't/don't want to run it) and then maybe run it as an LP thread.  He who goes the extra mile often winds up carrying his lazier comrades the same distance after all.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:05 am »

I wonder... is it time to contact monk12 yet?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 10, 2012, 01:00:25 am »

I just want to set up a huge perpetual-motion aquifer-powered hydro-electric generator, so we can zap things and the dwarves, elves, and native humans can go "what sorcery is this!?"
I lol'd. Loudly. We must do this.

It's triple-layered, I only spent half a year on it, and it needs a lot of work. It was done by the time the goblins arrived. Part 1 is over the passage next to the ramp - a little room to stand in and shoot people from. Part 2 is obviously the traps. (They're largely unfinished, and they'll go a lot farther down the passage. This isn't how I usually build forts, but I don't want anyone to die, if I can at all help it.) Part 3 is the bridge. When the sentry in the room above the passage alerts everyone, we have enough time to close the bridge, and the foolish enemies still get pounded by cage traps and rocks. If you'd like to make suggestions, I'd be more than happy to implement them.

Yep... spearbreakers is about mugs... this fort is about mechanisms. Thousands upon thousands of mechanisms, because we're all mechanically minded. It probably wouldn't be too too long before we designed gas-powered vehicles, if we ever found oil.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 10, 2012, 01:05:51 am »

Damn, I wish we'd thought of the grindaxe* and shuriken mechanisms** before this thread started.

* A set of mechanisms on a polearm/wooden or metal stick that rip[ apart flesh and most armors if possible.

** ANyone who hasn't wanted these in DF is undorfy.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:51 am »

Damn, I wish we'd thought of the grindaxe* and shuriken mechanisms** before this thread started.

* A set of mechanisms on a polearm/wooden or metal stick that rip[ apart flesh and most armors if possible.

** ANyone who hasn't wanted these in DF is undorfy.
Nah, none of the spearbreakers custom weapons you and I designed were in the folder I accidentally used, just our modded civs. You won't be seeing any of the mughammers/mugrifles/railguns/serrated disc launchers etc. etc. And I think I'm going to mod it in so that the modded races explode upon entering the map, so I don't have to worry about people criticizing the unvanilla creatures. They weren't supposed to be there anyway.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:16 am »

I lol'd. Loudly. We must do this.

It's triple-layered, I only spent half a year on it, and it needs a lot of work. It was done by the time the goblins arrived. Part 1 is over the passage next to the ramp - a little room to stand in and shoot people from. Part 2 is obviously the traps. (They're largely unfinished, and they'll go a lot farther down the passage. This isn't how I usually build forts, but I don't want anyone to die, if I can at all help it.) Part 3 is the bridge. When the sentry in the room above the passage alerts everyone, we have enough time to close the bridge, and the foolish enemies still get pounded by cage traps and rocks. If you'd like to make suggestions, I'd be more than happy to implement them.

Yep... spearbreakers is about mugs... this fort is about mechanisms. Thousands upon thousands of mechanisms, because we're all mechanically minded. It probably wouldn't be too too long before we designed gas-powered vehicles, if we ever found oil.

Shhh! Don't say that too loud, or the hippies elves will find us!  Curse the tree-fondlers!

My only suggestion right now depends on the state of our forges and smithies.  Do we have an active iron/steelworks yet, using charcoal, coke or magma?  If we have weapons-grade metal ores available and the facilities to process and shape it we should replace some (read: as many as we can) of those stone-fall traps with serrated blade-traps.  If silver is present add spiked balls to the mix using it.  Stone falls do hardly anything even to unarmored targets, and there aren't enough cages there to hold off more than a single squad of ambushers (unless some are discolored by blood there).

If you have some metal but not enough for weapon-trap construction or if you have surplus wood possibly add an extra few layers of cages until the forges are burning hot and we have plenty of metal to work with.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 214