Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 432933 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:43 am »

Aww. I am disappoint. i was looking forward to seeing such absurd weaponry.

You bastards better not make this thread go more than a couple pages! I gotta sleep due to that pesky real life and I don't wanna be behind too badly.

(this hope is clearly on poor grounds. It'll probably explode to like 6 more pages by the time I get home.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:14 am »

I just want to set up a huge perpetual-motion aquifer-powered hydro-electric generator, so we can zap things and the dwarves, elves, and native humans can go "what sorcery is this!?"

As a glassmaker/engineer, I had better *NOT* get mandates for "clear glass vacuum tube" x500, or "somebody" will be receiving a candygram from the grim reaper.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:40 am »

@Talvieno:

Just suck it up and use the mods. What could be more !!FUN!! than accidentally the whole raw folder and unleashing hordes of dwarf-eating sins-against-nature and burlesque-dancing manatees upon an innocent community fort?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2012, 01:52:38 am »

@Talvieno:

Just suck it up and use the mods. What could be more !!FUN!! than accidentally the whole raw folder and unleashing hordes of dwarf-eating sins-against-nature and burlesque-dancing manatees upon an innocent community fort?

Sins against nature we can deal with.

Obese women pole-dancing however is grounds for death through painful dismemberment.

Report to KodKod for your punishment.  I'm sure she will enjoy tormenting a sentient being for a change.

(Yes, I know someone's going to flame me for saying it, but someone had to.  I'm crawling back under my rock now.)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2012, 02:45:10 am »

Kenpoaj cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Dwarf Fortress is reality.
Kenpoaj has gone stark raving mad!

Most likely this.

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2012, 02:51:32 am »

@Talvieno:

Sins against nature we can deal with.

Obese women pole-dancing however is grounds for death through painful dismemberment.

Report to KodKod for your punishment.  I'm sure she will enjoy tormenting a sentient being for a change.

(Yes, I know someone's going to flame me for saying it, but someone had to.  I'm crawling back under my rock now.)

To be very, very explanatory... Manamaids are creatures resembling a hideous cross between manatees, and mermaids. (in the raws, they're basically walruses with the arms and head of a human - tweaked a little bit to make them more like manatees.) They have a special attack where... eh, I'll spoiler it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And yes, they're a sin against nature. They're the result of a very latenight tinychat meeting.
I really don't want to release them against our fortress... :P I think they're allies, though, so they would come about the same time as the humans.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 10, 2012, 02:52:40 am »

<<Part 2

For clarity's sake: This post is a continuation of the last journal entry, as I played through all of this and the previous in the same sitting.

You stand back from the wall, mulling over the events in your mind. The fortress of The Twelfth Bay had been renowned... yet the mystery behind the sudden deaths or disappearance of its inhabitants puzzled the outside world. It was part of why you're here - to learn what happened. ...But also the loot.

You heft your heavy backpack from your shoulder, removing your journal and taking a quick note, and then continue downwards towards the end of the gently-sloping passage, stepping carefully over the images of dwarves and mountain titans, humans with outlandish clothing, all but dimly visible in the flickering torchlight. You can still pick out engravings of laptops and powered vehicles, but as you progress farther along, these become slightly scarcer. You're suddenly startled out of your musings by Tunneeti - your maceman. He calls to you from behind, saying he's found something, and you turn, following the echoes of your friend.

He stands within a side passage beside a yellow orthoclase wall, upon which are engraved airplanes and submarines in masterful detail. Looking slightly farther, you see what he had called you for - another journal entry from the miner. You thank Tunneeti, setting your lamp down upon a nearby stone table, and begin to read.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Part4>>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:06:13 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 10, 2012, 03:26:16 am »

beutiful as always. Oh and thrips are bugs. UGLY FRIGGEN BUGS.

I vote we kill the elves. The more used to the sight of gore and carrying it out we are, the better off we'll be.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:10 am »

Well, my most likely skills...

novice kicked
novice dodger
profesional observer
(played a lot of soccer, noted more for insight than skill)

adequate siege engineer
adequate carpenter and wood cutter
(made a scorpio (R:TW reference) and some other stuff for a hobby, not very effective considering the limited materials)

skilled farming
talented brewer
novice mechanic
dabbling fisher
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:09 am »

I never said what I was good at, oh my!

I am a superb digger, but since im a kobold....just have me as kodkod someone's servant. Burrow me in there room with food and water.

I can make you some delicious candy!  Perhaps puff pastry with woodrose extract?

I garantee no two will ever be quite alike!
Yum, gimme!

Man, this is some delicious pastry!

'Sus' Dogpulley, Mad Tinkerer cancels Sleep: Taken by Mood.
'Sus' Dogpulley, Mad Tinkerer has become possessed!
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 10, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

Well, I've run a fort, I know what it's like to live there.

First order of business, take my own life.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:29 am »

Well, I've run a fort, I know what it's like to live there.

First order of business, take my own life.

my wouldn't you just be so optomistic to be around in this situation.

Oh and Talvieno, you and I both know my choice of words in my volunteering to be jerkoff of all trades would have been vastly more offencive. did you censor me for the good of those around you?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:51 am »

*wonders when we will cause universe collapse, by building a turing complete computer system out of vacuum tube valves and ferrite bead based core memory running an approximation of dwarf fortress on it... theoretically, it should be possible to build using the technology shown in game, if we are successful at hydroelectric or wind based electrical generation...*

It would give the jeweler migrants something to do. Ferrite beads being very similar to cabochons, and made of iron ore, like hematite.

("The more you know!", little star flies overhead...)
ferrite beads
core memory
vacuum tube
triode
crookes tube
cathode ray tube

For powered vehicles....

Lead acid batteries are absurdly simple, and hardy. In the simplest form, they consist of 2 lead plates submerged in sulfuric acid. One of the plates needs to be highly oxidized first.

Commercial batteries have several sets of plates wired in parallel to give the "cranking amps" needed to drive high torque starter motors on internal combustion engines.  However, a sufficient number of them in parallel will give you high DC voltage, which can be used to drive an EV's high efficiency DC motor, if you don't mind the extra weight.  They are the simplest and easiest rechargable battery chemistry to make, (and I don't know about you, but I refuse to mix the reagents needed to make nickel-cadmium chemistry.)

For genuine internal combustion engines, a sand-cast engine block milled out with a manual electric milling machine can be made to run on gassified fuel stock.  Just about any organic substance can be turned into "syngas", using an appropriate reactor.  However, the equipment needed to make syngas doesn't play well with goblin siegers, and would be very dangerous to keep below ground.

Using refrigeration tech, it would make a great means of eliminating all the thermal waste of the thermionic valve based computer....

syngas

It could concievably be routed through pipes for murderhole flamethrowers with an electric spark gap igniter.... but since carbon monoxide is a primary component, I would be loathe to use it, or route pipes carrying it through or inside the fortress.  Very much a "do this above ground" enterprise.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:39:46 am by wierd »

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2012, 07:19:54 am »

If I were in a Bay12 Dwarf Fortress, with all honesty, I would be gone before anyone could even think "Pull the lever".
I would then put the entire continent the fortress was on in a physics breaking quantum cage trap.

But that's no Fun, so...

Skills:
Adequate Crossbowdwarf(?) Firearms experience, limited to handguns, but oh well...
Dabbling Archer              Shot a replica English Longbow at a Renascence Fair once.
Novice Hammerdwarf        Was given a small sledge hammer as a joke (Some people think that a Zombie Apocalypse could never happen, BAH! Ill teach em') it was a couple weeks before I stopped playing around and hitting cardboard boxes a few minutes every night. t'was fun amusing.

Beyond that... I guess you could call me a Competent Metalsmith. Never even attempted weapons or armor, but I can make tools pretty well. A dagger or sword would be barely functional, but I could probably manage to figure it out.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:05 am »

Nice work Talvieno!

(...was that a Hitchhiker's Guide -reference? I'm quite certain there's somthing like that in there.)

Natch. I love the Hitchhiker's Guide.

In fact I think you might have been the one who caught the last reference I made to it, too.

I wouldn't be surprised. I finished re-reading the pentalogy last week.

If we can find some Giant Cave Swallows downstairs and someone brave enough to ride one I'm pretty sure that'd be manageable.

If no-one else does it, I'll volunteer...

I'm sure some of us know how to make basic firearms. The advantage of gunpowder would have us in far better shape than any elves or goblins that came our way.

And quite a few (me included) would know how to make gunpowder, or at least some prmitive version of it.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 214