Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 11218 times)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid Question
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:27:32 pm »

Is dwarf fortress free to play? :L

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29:28 pm »

Yes! But if you appreciate the game it is nice to donate so that Toady can keep making it.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »

Sweet! Can you give me the download link. I thought I found it ealier here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/  But then it didn't seem to be working and I got super confused  :-\

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:46 pm »

Straight under the big yellow DOWNLOAD text you should see SDL WINDOWS as a link. Click it. Download. Unzip. Start. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:02:17 pm »

Oh, thanks *facepalm*

I did that and it brought up screen showing all the stuff that the computer downloaded. Now I just have to figure out how to start the game -_-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:06:27 pm by seristal »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »

Extract them to a folder and just start up the exe.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »

I highly recommend checking out the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.  Start with the Quickstart Guide article and it will explain the basics to you.

You might want to grab the Lazy Newb Pack, which includes the full Dwarf Fortress install, plus some handy tools, such as Dwarf Therapist and the various graphical replacement tilesets.

Have fun!
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:16 pm »

Is dwarf fortress free to play? :L

No.  It will consume many, many hours of your life.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »

Seems like such a fun game but yet so complicated...  D:

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:01:24 pm »

When I try to run the Lazy Newb Pack.exe it says "Can not find Dwarf Fortress Directory" and when I try to run Dwarf Fortress it says "The program can't start because fmodex.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." And I've reinstalled it several times =/

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:05:28 pm »

Hello!

Welcome aboard! In my eyes, it is the best game that was ever made (as far as being a game is concerned). Given that it combines the best of several genres (creature simulator, city simulator, fantasy RPG, ...) it is indeed very complex and the possibilities are probably bewildering. However, I can assure you that investing the time to figure things out is really worth it as the game will bring you endless hours of enjoyment.

Besides the resources mentioned by others, I also recommend to look around the threads here on the forums as there are a few where new players have asked for general advice which is usually given by some members of the community.

Finally, I recommend you keep one thing in mind: Losing does not mean failure. The game can't be won, so eventually, you will lose. In the meantime, you will have had some fun, seen some interesting events, and will also have learned some more about the game. There is probably no one who knows everything about the game, so we discover nice little details even after playing a version for quite a while. So, try to enjoy the exploration and I think you will be satisfied.

Have fun!

Yours,
Deathworks

EDIT: Sorry, I can't help you with the Lazy Newb Pack since I do not use it.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »

So does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the problem in my previous post?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »

Are you running the program as administrator? This usually solves 90% of issues I usually have :P

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »

That might help =/

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 04:45:20 pm »

Have you extracted it all from the .zip? I can't really help if you're using the LNP, never used it.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5