Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why is most of this forum based on fortress mode?  (Read 5323 times)

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is most of this forum based on fortress mode?
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

Title says it all.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is most of this forum based on fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:03:36 am »

maybe because the game is called dwarf FORTRESS and you can do a lot of things in fortress mode. In adventure mode if I'm not mistaken you stroll around sucking, wrestling, killing and/or raising things (not necessary in that order) ^^

I'm only speaking for myself here, as I do not like adventure mode and find it quite boring. I love it when I'm slightly drunk or too mentally exhausted to play fortress mode though.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:13:58 am »

its the part most people play.   What else would it be based on?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

Looks this thread's gonna turn into a minefield.  Maybe.

I loved adventure mode from the start, mostly because for one, killing creatures is fun, and two, it was much less complicated than fort mode.

Only now am I starting to truly enjoy fort mode.  And I have to say, it's brilliant.

So yeah, fort mode deserves all the discussion, but adventure mode needs more, too. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:45:07 am »

Title says it all.
Slaves to Armok II started as a fortress simulator. The fortress mode is the primary focus.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:24 am »

Adventure mode was very undeveloped for a long time and even now needs a fair bit of work. There's still a lot to add to fortress mode, too, of course, but it's much more playable.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:20 am »

There's more in it.
[Signature]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »

Title says it all.
Slaves to Armok II started as a fortress simulator. The fortress mode is the primary focus.
Pretty much this. When Dwarf Fortress first came out it didn't have an adventure mode at all, and that idea of adventure mode being "added" onto the "main" game of fortress mode has stuck around over the years.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 03:25:13 pm »

Cause it's far more interesting and complete ?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:40:15 pm »

Hello!

Let's see, for one thing there is the greater complexity people have already mentioned. Adventure mode is at the moment a relatively straightforward thing with no real productive element and only combat and questing and talking (or rather listening) to people. While questing and talking are missing in fortress mode, combat is basically the same (which is revealed thanks to the combat reports) and you get various productive elements together with a social simulation that does not occur in adventure mode. The sheer number of elements and possible combinations is much bigger. This is why fortress mode tends to dominate the general forums (gameplay questions, modding, general).

In addition, I have the impression that people are a bit reluctant to share their stories in the stories forum, instead preferring to post in the adventure mode forum. This, of course, reduces the visibility of adventure mode even further.

I have heard rumors about some mod (wanderer or something) that allows you to be more productive in adventurer mode. If something like that was indeed possible or if that became part of vanilla, I think we could hope for more tales to be shared.

Yours,
Deathworks (who admits that he is turning again to fortress mode now after having a relatively decent go at adventure mode)

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 04:25:23 pm »

I like roguelikes as much as the next guy, but they are a genre that has been made before. I've played ADOM, Nethack, and all manner of things in that vein, so Adventure mode doesn't have a strong gravitational pull on me.

Dwarf Fortress, however, is a unique strategy game that is on a completely different level from other games. There just aren't games like it. I love watching it develop as it becomes, bizarrely, more realistic, and more layers are added to the game. I used to think the game was complicated, but it's even more so now, and I can only imagine how much more is going to be added.

Also, when I stared playing DF, Adventure mode sucked >_>
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »

I like roguelikes as much as the next guy, but they are a genre that has been made before. I've played ADOM, Nethack, and all manner of things in that vein, so Adventure mode doesn't have a strong gravitational pull on me.
The only reason why I like Adventure mode is, because things you do have an effect on the world. I like taking a look at Legends mode after my adventurer dies.

But yeah, fortress mode is the center of attention because it's the main focus. Hell, it's called Dwarf Fortress. Would it be fun if Adventure mode was more developed? Yes, but there are plenty of roguelikes to go around. Find me a quality strategy roguelike.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »

I play mostly Fortress Mode myself so I would rather talk about that then adventure. I would assume since people have a choice to pick what to talk about on this forum they pick what they like to play most of all, aka Fortress Mode.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »

Adventure mode was originally, if I recall correctly, a surprise bonus to the main game (fortress mode). Its intention wasn't to let you play as an adventurer in a complex world as you can do now, but simply a way for you to explore your lost fortresses.

This attitude has changed as the mode has been developed, but it has always been second to fortress mode and probably always will be. That's not to say that stuff like adventure arc features won't primarily help adventure mode, but those will be fewer than fort-only features.

Also, there's less of a community around adventure mode because you can't really create anything yet. Once you have more to show off in adventure mode than a list of kills, there should be more to discuss.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »

The original plan was actually for the game to follow a fairly strict progression:

1. Fortress starts.
2. Fortress makes magical, powerful artifacts and other such great items.
3. Adventurer goes through fortress.

They were planned to be equally large parts of the game from the start.
Pages: [1] 2