Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 240694 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #255 on: May 07, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »

If I used a power slide I would get an immediate pass attempt, but I would be behind by three momentum... but I guess he's already at max momentum, so trying to pass normally is impossible.

Put that together with the huge buff to powerslides on this course, and I might as well Powerslide around the outside while releasing the blooper.

I guess.

Link's going to cross the finish line during his Movement Phase (which is when the Dash Panel boosts get factored in.) Hence, the Momentum boost gained from the Dash Panel isn't going to come into play before he finishes the race. Drafting gives an immediate pass attempt (guaranteed, but with the disparity you aren't likely to succeed) while Powersliding through the inside will give you the opportunity if you succeed. Through the outside, and your Momentum prevents you from making the attempt at all.

But yeah, you need to roll really well twice in a row and Link needs to get like a 2. Before anything else he does- defensive driving gives him a guaranteed +1 bonus, while a successful Powerslide would give him the +1 with maybe some Momentum (but carries the risk of failure,) or he could do something crazy like Drive Aggressively to try and gain so much Momentum you don't have a prayer (waaaay more risky.)

This expert analysis has been brought to you by Nookington's- Nookington's! All your friends are doing it! I very nearly had Jim and Bob breaking that down- they might yet do so in the postgame.

NINJA!

Woohoo!  Luigi, come on by and you can have some of this champagne!  Well done, all!

Him getting only that move-phase chance to pass was a surprise to me.

Good race!  I learned a lot from it... like that high accel wasn't nearly as useful as I thought it'd be.  Too bad I didn't save my money!

Yeah, that's why it cost 3 Coin and not 6. Gives you a good start out the gate, and helps if you get nuked by a Shell, but in general you've normally got at least One Momentum to play with.

I also no longer remember why crossing the finish line happens in the Movement Phase rather than Cleanup. Eh.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 07, 2012, 11:27:09 pm »

They certainly should do a post-game wrapup.

Speaking of rules...

Drive Aggressively- The player cuts corners close, squeaks through narrow openings and generally tries to outperform the competition. The player makes a special Racing Check, gaining One Momentum on a 4, and Two Momentum for each result higher than that.

You really mean 2 for each better result?  You've been rolling it as one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 08, 2012, 12:01:12 am »

They certainly should do a post-game wrapup.

Speaking of rules...

Drive Aggressively- The player cuts corners close, squeaks through narrow openings and generally tries to outperform the competition. The player makes a special Racing Check, gaining One Momentum on a 4, and Two Momentum for each result higher than that.

4-1
5-2
6-3 (2 from aggressively, one from 6]

Was how I intended that to work (and I'm pretty sure I haven't blown any of those calls.) I think it's a miswording problem- the action only gives 1 on a 4 and 2 for any result higher than that, but the scaling goes up by 1 each time because it's a Racing Check.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 08, 2012, 12:08:04 am »

>Drive aggressively, launch red shell at nearest person ahead of me!

((No time for fluff, I just want to get my action in. :P))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #259 on: May 08, 2012, 12:30:41 am »

Powerslide through the INSIDE and release the blooper then!

Harkinian being a poor sport and tossing the poor thing at Link's head hasn't changed. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2012, 12:32:12 am »

I think there's a reason Zelda considers him a deadbeat :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 08, 2012, 07:57:01 am »

Do we get to have metagame turns between races? On one hand that would be funny, on the other it might be a bad idea.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:00 am »

4-1
5-2
6-3 (2 from aggressively, one from 6]

Was how I intended that to work (and I'm pretty sure I haven't blown any of those calls.) I think it's a miswording problem- the action only gives 1 on a 4 and 2 for any result higher than that, but the scaling goes up by 1 each time because it's a Racing Check.
[/quote]

I gotcha now.  I interpreted it as "Each result (number) higher gives two more momentum."  I did think that was a bit much at first, but then I saw someone throw a six and get three, so I just went with it and hadn't really worried about it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:27 am »

"Well, as much as I was hoping for different results I can't say I'm terribly surprised. He has been known to consistently give up first place positions. Let's head back to the office and get the lawyers working on the paperwork then." The CEO and his butler left the suite, stepping from the Air Conditioned room to the heat of the racetrack. As they walked down to the car the CEO turned towards the racer's garages. "Start the car please. I'll be there in a moment."

A short walk later and he was Luigi's garage. Finding a Toad moving a set of tires around he handed him a Sylph Co business card. "Give this to Luigi please. And tell him congratulations from Sylph Co." He turned and walked out leaving a slightly perplexed Toad in his wake.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #264 on: May 08, 2012, 12:26:59 pm »

...Yeah, I think you need to get RANDOM.org.

Anyway, Aggressive Driving, drop da bomb to hit Fox.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »

I'm collecting the rolls now for giggles.

Fun Fact- At the end of turn 3, when Kirby was in last place, he had the highest average roll of 4.25!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »

Data collection is complete through the last turn!

The luck leader is me, averaging 3.89 for rolls.  I had two great turns in a row that did it for that.

The luck loser is Fox  with an average o 3.35.  Kirby is actually bang on the expected average of 3.5!

Harkinian, for whatever reason, had significantly more rolls than other players.

Spoiler: Collected Data (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »

Also, almost forgot my action!

Celebrate with Gloomba ladies.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »

Luigi Circuit- Turn Twelve
1st      2nd      3rd      4th      5th     6th
Player Action

Defensive outside!

Link follows the example of Crank, Driving Defensively into the last segment!

Powerslide through the INSIDE and release the blooper then!

Harkinian being a poor sport and tossing the poor thing at Link's head hasn't changed. :P

King Harkinian releases THE BLOOPER, giving all opposing drivers a -1 penalty to Racing and Pass checks! He goes into a Powerslide, [1]+1 but fails to spark his engines!

"OOOAAAHHH!"

...Yeah, I think you need to get RANDOM.org.

Anyway, Aggressive Driving, drop da bomb to hit Fox.

Kirby drops the Bob-omb, [5]-2 and Fox is following too closely to evade! He is sent flying into the air, setting his Momentum to Zero and losing his Red Shell!

Kirby Drives Aggressively to put some distance between them, [2]-1-2 but he puts too much pressure on his Kart- the overburdened vehicle suffers a Hiccup! [2] Kirby's Item Synthesizer malfunctions, imposing a permanent -1 on Item Checks!

>Drive aggressively, launch red shell at nearest person ahead of me!

((No time for fluff, I just want to get my action in. :P))

Fox McCloud sees Kirby's Ink/Shrunk related distress, and tries to capitalize by Driving Aggressively! [4]-1-2 As he revs his engine, he detects the telltale warning grind of an impending Hiccup, and wisely releases the throttle! Unfortunately, although he avoids permanent damage his engine stall costs him ONE Momentum!

Movement Phase

Link hits the outside Dash Panels and bursts across the finish line, claiming THIRD PLACE!

King Harkinian rumbles through the inside, coming in FOURTH PLACE!

Kirby hits the Dash Panels in GREEN, gaining ONE Momentum and clearing himself of Ink!

Fox McCloud hits the Dash Panels in GREEN, clearing himself of Ink and getting him all the way up to ZERO Momentum! He makes a racing check to avoid falling behind, [4]-2 but is simply too far back after that Bob-omb and engine stall! He FALLS BACK, repeating GREEN next turn and immediately gaining TWO Momentum!

Cleanup Phase

Having looked at everything, there is no way Fox can catch up unless Kirby deliberately drives into a wall- specifically, the inner wall, since the outer path would give him enough Momentum to finish the race even if he did crash. I think I'll just end the race now, and we'll mosey straight on to the postgame and the start of the metagame segment.

Kirby's Hiccup does persist from race to race- it can be fixed for 3 Coin.

LEADERBOARD

Spoiler: King Harkinian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luigi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crank (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fox McCloud (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Course Info (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2012, 03:10:01 pm »

Hello Racing Fans, and welcome to this special postgame edition of the Mushroom Sports Network, presented by Nookington's! I'm Jim!
And I'm Bob!
And we're the Lakitu brothers!
That sure was some race, eh Bob?
Sure was, Jim! There appeared to be some indecisiveness on the course as the drivers adapted to the new MKL rules, and I think that played a factor in how this race shook out!
You said it, Bob! Our reporters are indicating that the League Competition Committee has been closely monitoring the conduct of this race with the intent of continuously improving the sport, surely for the betterment of Kart Racing!
In accordance with Federal and International Law, we are now required to inform the viewers that MSN is a subsidiary of the MKL.
As if we'd ever let that get in the way of our journalism! If the wise, handsome, and benevolent League Commissioner ever makes a mistake, we'll be the first to report it!
But let's get back to the race! We were treated to some real heated racing action today, especially between the rival Hyrulians, the heroic Link and his liege lord, King Harkinian!
King Harkinian got the first blow with his quick start, but it looks like Link has had the last laugh with a podium finish! To quote bowzerROOLS27 on our twitter feed, "It looks like Link wiped all the floors in Hyrule... with King Harkinian!
#MKL"
A fine jest- and a reminder to all you viewers at home to follow MSN on twitter! Your tweets could be aired live, right on the show! And don't forget to vote for the MSN Driver of the Day, to be revealed later this week!
Speaking of Driver of the Day, tough loss for Fox McCloud, eh Bob?
Sure was, Jim! Early returns on the voting show him receiving quite the sympathy vote and a strong candidate for Driver of the Day, followed closely by the bad-boy King Harkinian!
An unfortunate loss for that august personage, especially after holding steady in the top 3 for most of the race!
Speaking of unfortunate losses, Kirby had quite a rough day on the track- he never seemed to find a groove, and that last second Hiccup will be quite a blow to Team Dreamland.
You said it, Bob! But let's talk about our leaders, Crank and Luigi! Luigi gave quite the showing on the course named in his honor, but Crank took home the gold!
And the Coin, and the Fame, and, sources say, a lucrative contract offer from Nookington's Department Store. In fact, it appears we have a rare look inside the world of contract negotiations today!
Our sources have leaked details of the contract, saying the offer is for 3 Coin up front, with 1 Coin for every top-three finish and 3 Coin for a Cup Win.
A rather conservative contract given the absolutely dominating performance Crank just turned in on the course- Nookington's is banking that the other Sponsors are biding their time to pick up a racer later in the Chase, rather than trying to out-bid Nookington's offer!
An interesting situation to watch, Bob- it will also be interesting to see what other offers are made in the coming week! Sources say that Silph Co. has expressed a strong interest in signing Luigi to a deal, and some Sponsors may try to sign one of the other racers to a cheap deal in the hopes of future returns!
And we'll be following all that action right here on MSN, so don't change that channel, and don't adjust that set!
This has been Jim and Bob reporting live from Luigi Circuit on this special MSN Postgame Report, brought to you by Nookington's! And now for a word from our sponsors!

Crank +2 Coin, +2 Fame, +9 Points
Luigi +1 Coin, +1 Fame, +7 Points
Link +5 Points
King Harkinian -1 Coin, +3 Points
Kirby -1 Coin, +1 Point
Fox McCloud -1 Coin

Spoiler: Theodolus- Silph Co (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: borno- Pengu Games (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nightmare Enterprises (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darvi- Waluigiware Inc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rez Media Corporation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Rocket (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Koopa Korporation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diamond Software (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hocotate Freight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lakitu Travel Agency (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pappy's Pizza (click to show/hide)

Alright! Welcome to the metagame portion of this RTD. The time between now and the next race counts as one long turn- during this turn, Sponsors can take up to 2 actions, and everyone is free to RP as they see fit. Additionally, Drivers may have a random Event to deal with at their discretion. Any action a player wants to be secret may be submitted by PM (contract negotiations are often secret)- contracts are not finalized until both players agree and inform the Commissioner (ie GM) of their decision. The framing device of this segment will be the helpful commentary of Jim and Bob Lakitu, but players are free to hold press conferences to announce their intentions to the world at any time.

Normally this phase only lasts 3-4 days, but since I'll be out of town this weekend the next race won't be introduced until next Sunday/Monday (travel depending.) At that point, the next group of racers will pay their entrance fees, and we'll get underway on Yoshi Falls. Any questions, shout out!

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nicholas1024 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scelly9 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gatleos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ExKirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yoink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spinal_Taper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 10ebbor10 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luke_Prowler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: freeformscholar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MonkeyHead (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Remalle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phantom of the Library (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taricus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dirg (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:59:43 pm by monk12 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 73