Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 543936 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #750 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

Why peasant? Why not Hero, like everyone else has?

EDIT: Perhaps you want to be that much more heroic by not being a hero.

Also, be VERY careful if you're in rivers. You'll want a speed of ~1100 to be able to outrun angry gators if they chase you.

Hippos will knock your head off one shot due to their immense size, and the gators will bite limbs off. Didn't happen to me thankfully though.

I had Skilled ambusher by the time I finished; that was sufficient to stay within two tiles of an opponent without being spotted. Depending on the creature, it afforded me about four attacks within two tiles before I was spotted.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:33:25 pm by Reudh »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 19, 2012, 11:47:35 pm »

If you take time to prepare, it isn't that hard to play as a Peasant. Building up attributes and skill levels by hanging around in a village can get you into Hero territory fairly quickly.

Attempting to move while floundering and drowning is the quickest way to build endurance, but that can only be done by either having an unskilled swimmer or by deliberately swimming under a bridge or overhang. Unskilled swimmers actually accomplish this more easily since ducking under a bridge and then leaving can sometimes still result in floundering or drowning in the open spaces even for more skilled swimmers.

Quote from: Reudh
I un-retired Reudh on my save just to check if he had any infections...

Looks like the broken ear he got is infected. And he only had average Disease Resist, didn't he?

It won't progress so long as he isn't active, but treatment will likely require injuring him again via trap since he's walking around with it broken. We'll need a decent Surgeon handy for when Reudh shows up so that it can be cut out. So a table next to a bed, cloth, thread, and plaster are all things that need to be set up early. Making soap should also be a priority to make sure that the infection doesn't spread further, but that's not so bad since we can press rock nuts to make soap.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:24 pm »

And given Melkor was critically injured (lost a hand), she'll likely need it too.

Alright, so matter of course: Embarking with a surgeon, and some rock nuts to press into soap. Crossroads, can you put this in the OP or as close as possible?

- One must be a skilled surgeon and diagnostician.
- A 'danger room' to prod an unarmoured Reudh and Melkor until they have an injury so it may be diagnosed and treated.
- Rock nuts (grown or embarked with) to press into soap.
- We'll likely not need military until the third migrant wave arrives; and they'll contain our skilled dwarves. I propose Reudh should be the captain of a marksdwarf squad due to his Legendary Archer skill.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 20, 2012, 08:07:56 am »

And given Melkor was critically injured (lost a hand), she'll likely need it too.

Rather strangely, Melkor's hand's fine, but the two smashed-apart toes (the nail) are infected.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 20, 2012, 11:58:11 am »

I'm pretty sure that hand is rotten.  Its just not connected so the dwarf is fine. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:51 pm »

I'd also recommend a Suturer 2/Wound Dresser 2/Bone Doctor 5 be included in the inital group and that all other labors be turned off of them as soon as possible. A couple of cheap stones is probably a good investment as well so that the mechanic can go ahead and produce the mechanisms for a press without having to wait for the miner along with a piece of wood or another stone to make a jug out of.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 20, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »

Aye, I agree with Ubiq.

It seems that clean injuries (say, an arm being cut off) generally don't get infected. Injuries from smashing or mashing, such as, say, a shattered toe, are much more likely. Or an unclean cut, such as a nick to the ear, as Reudh got.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #757 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:16 am »

Is it possible to get some fortress mode skills up in adventure mode? Having someone become a doctor would be quite useful, or an armor smith for that matter.

I add this because when I ran a test game, I ended up with legendary fighter, archer, thrower, shield user.... Basically this would make me an elite bow dwarf, and hence only fit for military duties.

I did try switching things around using the modes in df hack, but never got it to work.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:52 am »

Mining can be learned by fighting with a pick. Thats all I think.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 21, 2012, 02:49:02 am »

Mining can be learned by fighting using a pick.

Woodcutting cannot be learned by fighting using an axe.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 21, 2012, 03:26:19 am »

And you could train your butcher-skills.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2012, 07:44:45 am »

Proposal: We create via modding an interaction that raises the level of a given skill by one. We should not over-use this...

Say, you want your dwarf to be a mason. You'd go into natural powers -> train masonry -> now dabbling mason. Flavor text for bonus. Maybe instead it'll be "You sift through some dirt, trying to find some good stone." "You study the intricacies of a small pebble before dropping it on the ground."
"You consider the way that boulders are held up."

Giving a tidbit of exp each time; if it's possible to make a cap I'd say no more than competent.

Each skill should be made in this way, and this would make it possible for us to fine tune our migrants skills, using a system similar to Wanderer's Friend or Genesis.

I think this is within the realms of possibility of modding. I'd say if we can get Putnam or Deon or any of the other skilled modders to do this for us, it would be fantastic (and should be implemented before the new round of players attempt to do it).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2012, 02:49:46 pm »

Only, you'd have to replace an existing interaction.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 21, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »

It doesn't take long to train a dwarf in a new skill if they actually do the work. I don't think modding should be required if we want to make a specific adventurer into a particular flavor of craftsdwarf.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 22, 2012, 01:32:27 am »

If I get a turn as adventurer, I call dibs on pickaxe. I have something particularly... messy in mind.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 120