Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324699 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 01:15:47 am »

It worked! He pushed the cart over the pressure plate, opening the bridge, and dumped the wood down the chute! It then landed next to the carpenter shop. As he walked the cart back up, the bridge closed, making the fort secure again.

Hot dang, that's cool. Got the same thing making a quantum stockpile next to my mason shop, small stone pile, when cart is full, dumps it a level lower next to the mason shop.

Automated undump, booya.

EDIT: Oh, for the OP list of knowledge, an item in the minecart is inaccessable for anything. All my wood was in the cart, and my carpenter shop jobs cancelled due to no wood. Once the cart was dumped, I had to add them all again.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:55 am »

Well crap. How are we supposed to reliably get minecarts to transport UP then?

Use the glitchy ramp method a few posts up.

Potential problem: this method does not work with ramps that turn. A cart going west that hits a S track-ramp will stop immediately. Let's hope my SE track ramp works!

edit: It didn't work. Well, looks like turn-ramps just aren't going to work until we get a bug fix. Time to extend the track a hair.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:24:48 am by penguinofhonor »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 01:23:17 am »

Note to self: cart full of logs falling of dwarfs head hurts dwarf.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:25 am »

1: Dogs don't know how to dodge.
Oh my.
This might need some attention from The Great Toady One.
I don't want my war dogs (and -bears) following their owners to get pulped by mine carts.  :-\
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 02:29:06 am »

I think I figured out flight. Testing in the morning.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 03:11:16 am »

So, I want to use my minecarts to for clearing out rocks from the fortress, how do I do this?

Do I need to just create a Loading stockpile then a dumping stockpile?

Or can I link a Zone to a stop?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:43 am »

So, I want to use my minecarts to for clearing out rocks from the fortress, how do I do this?

Do I need to just create a Loading stockpile then a dumping stockpile?

Or can I link a Zone to a stop?

Here's what I did.

3x3 stone stockpile, carve a track from wherever to wherever. Puts stops at each end, have it dump in the direction of the pile you want it ending up in. Set up the route with (h)auling menu, link the loading stop to the 3x3 stockpile.

Bam, they automatically clear all the stone in the fort, and place it in a quantum stockpile. Even better, it's a quantum stockpile that doesn't need any micromanagement. Garbage dumps are no longer needed. No unforbidding required.

EDIT: I'm actually doing that with every stockpile I have, right now. Adding a 2 tile track, side-by-side stops. They load the cart and dump it right next door. 5x5 room for each workshop, infinite storage. It's an automated undump with no tricky water, or micromanagement.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:26:35 am by rtg593 »

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:34 am »

Here's what I did.

3x3 stone stockpile, carve a track from wherever to wherever. Puts stops at each end, have it dump in the direction of the pile you want it ending up in. Set up the route with (h)auling menu, link the loading stop to the 3x3 stockpile.

Bam, they automatically clear all the stone in the fort, and place it in a quantum stockpile. Even better, it's a quantum stockpile that doesn't need any micromanagement. Garbage dumps are no longer needed. No unforbidding required.

EDIT: I'm actually doing that with every stockpile I have, right now. Adding a 2 tile track, side-by-side stops. They load the cart and dump it right next door. 5x5 room for each workshop, infinite storage. It's an automated undump with no tricky water, or micromanagement.
I could see this working very well for trading.  Set up a couple stockpiles next to the depot, and when you buy out all the elves' cloth or whatever you fancy, it gets put into the stockpile, then shipped off next to the dwarven tailor to make into beautiful socks.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 03:49:07 am »

Here's what I did.

I could see this working very well for trading.  Set up a couple stockpiles next to the depot, and when you buy out all the elves' cloth or whatever you fancy, it gets put into the stockpile, then shipped off next to the dwarven tailor to make into beautiful socks.

Honestly? This is working very well for EVERYTHING. My normal level with 11x11 stockpile room after room... Isn't needed. I have my ores dumping in the middle of my magma smelters, my magma smelters drop the bars into a pile. That get dumped into the middle of my magma forges. From my magma forges, items get dumped into a pile, that also have my magma kiln and my magma glass furnaces dumping into it, as well!

Clay is a ways away, so I have clay collection zones, overlapping clay stockpiles. Haven't started this one up yet, but it should load the clay into a cart, and dump it into the middle of the 4 magma kilns. Going to try the same thing with sand bags next.

As I mentioned above, wood is getting dumped down a chute from the surface, the cart triggers a bridge to retract and drop the wood. Fast access, little risk of a flyer getting down. I could do the same with clay and sand bags, if I didn't have surface magma.

This update is nuts!!! :-D

EDIT: PS, wheelbarrows are worth it. They go so much faster, and it's really fun to watch it, too. Great mental image of em whipping around corners, barely missing things...:p
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:50:48 am by rtg593 »

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 04:28:19 am »

I tried to create a circle of track with rollers powered by a windmill to create a neverending cart ride, but the cart keeps on coming to a stop atop the rollers. Any idea why?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 04:29:26 am »

I tried to create a circle of track with rollers powered by a windmill to create a neverending cart ride, but the cart keeps on coming to a stop atop the rollers. Any idea why?
First thing popped into my mind - is the windmill actually producing power, and is it properly being sent to the roller?
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 04:30:09 am »

Does the windmill....

Dangit, ninja'd.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 04:34:52 am »

Does there need to be track under the rollers?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 04:37:50 am »

Oh, the dump command on carts is going to be awesome.

Do magma-proof mechanisms that are submerged in magma still work? Because I might need to make a magma pit that carts dive in and out of and deliver magma to my fort.

Does there need to be track under the rollers?

Yes.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 05:11:13 am »

Ah, that's where I was going wrong then. I assumed Rollers had built in track.

Now I have my perpetual motion machine going. And my dwarf nearly died of thirst before I could get him to stop.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46