Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 367

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 656196 times)

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3885 on: July 26, 2019, 02:54:48 am »

That is what I suspected. The force multiplier could work, but for a greater degree of realism I would prefer to make a make a new material that simulates live wood, which would be more elastic and tougher than dead wood. Where could I find the material science data for that? ie. yield, strain, that sort of thing. I could also possibly add a new, tougher layer: bark.

Also, Ents are about 14 feet tall. What should their size be?

One thing to keep in mind is that almost any organic material is going to be anisotropic. That said, this is my primary resource for wood:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch04.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjds_vlidLjAhWluVkKHeraBxAQFjAZegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0y3STxvm6rNaRhX34MZ1QW

As for size, a 14 ft human-ish shape should be around 900k give or take.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: July 27, 2019, 10:36:53 am »

Have people done centaurs or other non-bipedal civ-entity races well before?
I'm thinking of adding in a centaur-like race to my gens
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: July 27, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »

I have. I dunno if I did it "well" but I did it. There's not much of note to them besides you need to be creative with what you apply the lower body and upper body tokens to and what clothing they need. I think I made the human torso the upper body, so it gets armor, and the lower body token to the lower body of the horse. The upper body of the horse gets protection from torso armor, but is otherwise uncovered. I dunno if that's necessarily the best solution, but it works.

It needs a four part spine, neck + 3 body segments. I gave mine two sets of lungs and two hearts, one in the human torso one in the centaur body. Lungs for redundancy, hearts are an extra vulnerability.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: July 27, 2019, 09:25:28 pm »

There's an existing body plan for centaur-like body shapes used for molemarians iirc. I haven't tried to tackle a centaur in my own tentative coding yet but I plan to.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3889 on: July 28, 2019, 05:53:16 am »

Feel free to take the centaur civ from OldGenesis. Deon has given permission for everything to be borrowed from OldGenesis. (OG is about 18% by me, 82% by Deon)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: July 28, 2019, 11:29:08 am »

Feel free to take the centaur civ from OldGenesis. Deon has given permission for everything to be borrowed from OldGenesis. (OG is about 18% by me, 82% by Deon)

If you feel adventurous you could turn this into a creature variation for automatic wild centaur hybrids to slot into your worlds for fantastical settings. Or do a little extra work and set it up as a polymorph curse/secret via Eric blank's methods, if you wanted to see a little population of goblin-taur caste subtypes in your sieges in the rare occasion they pop up.

Forever cursed to be impossibly strong, fast, multilimbed and intelligent, but sweaty, unable to jump and climb over obstacles like simple traps *what a shame::)  ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:31:13 am by FantasticDorf »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: July 28, 2019, 07:44:03 pm »

Wait, why are they cursed to be sweaty? That seems like an odd addition to the curse...

Also cantaur versions of animals in the same vein as animal people sounds neat. Maybe I should do that...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: July 28, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »

Wait, why are they cursed to be sweaty? That seems like an odd addition to the curse...

Also cantaur versions of animals in the same vein as animal people sounds neat. Maybe I should do that...

Sounds like so they're easily detectable to me, or maybe just for flavor. I second the idea of centaur versions though.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3893 on: July 29, 2019, 04:09:43 am »

Animals that are great at running away, don't need to output_minimal_smell. Stealth animals have minimal smell output.
https://www.quora.com/Do-you-like-the-smell-of-horse-sweat-and-poop
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: July 29, 2019, 09:28:15 am »

I don't want to click on that link yet I'm curious as to whether there is a peer-reviewed paper of great education on the other side
I make Spellcrafts!

DaStormDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 03, 2019, 06:43:40 am »

I'm trying to create a new civilised creature (with a rare part-dragon caste), but my error log gets spammed with "No tissue thickness". Any ideas on a fix?

Standard caste body:
[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

Dragony caste body:
[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE:DRAGON_HUMANOID:DRAGON_HUMANOID_JOINTS:4HEAD_HORN:TAIL]

Tissue adding

b_detail_plan file:

Body file:

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 03, 2019, 02:20:51 pm »

If you feel adventurous you could turn this into a creature variation for automatic wild centaur hybrids to slot into your worlds for fantastical settings. Or do a little extra work and set it up as a polymorph curse/secret via Eric blank's methods, if you wanted to see a little population of goblin-taur caste subtypes in your sieges in the rare occasion they pop up.

this is great news :0

EDIT: ack right. made the move to a new acct bc username's old.
anyway the rest of the race and it's civ will probably be too difficult to actually implement.
the whole basis is an illithid-inspired race. non-hivemind, grey-morales, but still eldritch and arcane. the issues are
- don't know if a sex can have both male and female, but the gen idea is that all sexes should have female, and possibly include male on two
- the third sex are the centaurs more or less. brood queen-like individuals, higher clutch rate than either of the other two.
- all eggs (especially infertile?) have a chance of hatching into one of the race's primary beasts rather than an individual. there's a fair bit of lore to it and the four/five beasts, but I also want to take the chance I've got to make usage of the Strange Material eggs (ie. chicken eggs hatching into a swarm of bees)
- lowkey replacement for demon-run goblin civs.
so, I generally don't think I'll ever get to actually make them outside lore, but hey, this is cool to learn about

homestuck reference
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:27:35 pm by Meridian »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 03, 2019, 06:31:04 pm »

Can a creature variation hold/apply a DESCRIPTION?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3899 on: August 03, 2019, 07:04:33 pm »

@DaStormDragon
Your "dragon" like caste is still using [BODY:HUMANOID_NECK] but you posted a custom body plan for dragons. Also note that the new bodyparts for the wings are not being layered by the default BDP for that, because they are new categories that are not in the base game
WING_STRUT
WING_CLAW
WING_MEMBRANE

(Also not sure about the whole 80 characters long thing I don't think that's been an issue since stuff like cobal or mainframe programming? it's only a comment and doesn't affect anything but seeing made me go "nani?")

So long story short, you have new body parts, but they are not getting the tissue layers they need thus throwing that error in your log.

@Brolol
Yes, No, Kinda?

Yes as in you can use [CV_ADD_TAG:DESCRIPTION:descriptive text] but DESCRIPTION tags don't stack, they override. You could probably use a CV_CONVERT_TAG with the MASTER as DESCRIPTION and then TARGET as something in the text to be replaced with the REPLACEMENT which I think would almost act like how a BODYGLOSS would work

Or what do you mean by DESCRIPTION (the tag, or some sort of physical color/shaping) because CVs can ADD, REMOVE, and CONVERT any tags you want.

@Meridian
Something cannot be MALE or FEMALE at the same time, the last declared gender is what they are flagged as. so a [MALE][FEMALE] that caste would be female, [FEMALE][MALE] they'd be male.
Centaur ones could have larger litters/egg clutch sizes than other female castes, yes.
Egg stuff I'm not super versed on, other than a quick DF script to auto fertilize eggs and have them hatch in 7 days

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 367