Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089412 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i wonder how much GB planetside2 will eat of the hd... 20gb? 30gb?
i doubt it will be less than 15 as alot mmos are around 10-15gb area (ddo, sto, eq2), but on the other hand planetside is "just" 1 continent atm, so it might not be that much yet as its just textures for 1 continent and not 4-5.

also... i guess website beta registrations probably get a key after eeeeeverthing else, all the twiters and even given keys etc.
and no clue if ps2 will even work on win xp (well xp was a choice in the tech text survey... so might be "supported", but kind of think it might gets memory problems...)
so why do i even worry about harddrivespace... chances are it might not even work anyways... or i get bored after a week...

i played ps1 back when they had their "reserves event" going years ago and it was pretty fun back then. 30 people squads, galaxy taxi drops over and over from nearest base where people spawn to next enemy one (had quite alot players back then to mostly have a full galaxy each run).
ps2 kind of looks a bit too deathmatchy/hastey and not much "coordinated"... but that might just be from the videos.
well somehow i am not realy that "hyped" with ps2 atm..... but who knows... might actually be ok/fine/playable/fun in the end.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Currently the game with only 1 continent takes up 10gb
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

SOE’s John Smedley took to Twitter to explain the rather conspicuous blank spot left behind by his company’s planet-sized MMOFPS:

“Beta likely going to start Friday or Monday. Had planned for today or tomorrow, but we have some stuff we need to make sure is awesome. The team is working like crazy, but we need to polish some stuff and test it before we let in a massive [number] of people.”
Why am I not surprised?..

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

*phew*, that means I can actually still get some stuff done this week.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Bah really annoying, why can't they just close beta it >,< I don't mind doing the bug reports and testing it but you know I like to have some fun at the same time >,>
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Sort of seems to me like they were planning to do a serious beta for finding bugs, but then decided that wouldn't be a good idea and even the closed beta should be more demo-like given the number of people going into it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well they say monday or next day, just to make sure i dont expect anything untill wednesday yet they managed to blow it up... ahh well what can we say? :)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

be happy that they are delaying the beta. I assume they are fixing the issues that they may or may not be having with lag
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

As long as they have a good reason to delay the beta; like fixing bugs, then I'm fine with it. The first impression of a game usually stays with you, so they want to make sure it is good.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that IS the closed beta. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that IS the closed beta. :P
Beta is for balancing and fixing the ha-ha Bethesda bugs.  Right now they're trying to stop the game from CTDing due to hardware issues.  Even then there's a couple more showstoppers (UI not displaying on certain video cards, problems loading players at a distance, lag...).  Once it goes beta everyone's going to want in and having to pay bandwidth and server costs to get hundreds of thousands of people a game that isn't going to be ready to market for weeks isn't in anyone's best interest.

The fact that we must watch hundreds of people have fun without us is a side effect.

m0nster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This will probably be the last time I clutter this thread with a giveaway ;)

Same as last time (but only one key!):
Send me a pm with 'Planetside 2' as subject, I'll choose the winner via random.org at Sunday 02:00 pm GMT+2.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Monday, 2:00 PM (I'm assuming PST), with 2-3 weeks for everyone who has a key to get in.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did someone say 2-3 weeks or are you just ASSuming?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xlir0/iama_john_smedley_22_year_game_industry_veteran/

[–]soapyluggage 94 points 10 hours ago
How long do you think it will take (if everything goes as planned) for everyone who has twitter/PC gamer keys to get in the beta?
[–]j_smedley 117 points 10 hours ago
maybe as long as 2-3 weeks but it depends on how smoothly things go
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 826