Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089758 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Monday, 2:00 PM (I'm assuming PST), with 2-3 weeks for everyone who has a key to get in.
I find it a funny coincidence that the person under the main tweet is Genna Bain, wife of the person distributing most of the gameplay footage available: TotalBiscut.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so i guess simple website beta registered people get in after 3 weeks then

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After going into high-burn anticipation mode during/after E3 for about a few weeks, I've been rather burnt out in the anticipation department. But now, with Beta looming, it's starting to build again. Can't wait!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I have to be that asshole who comes in and says this really doesn't look all that good.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I think most people are in it for the huge-scale battles, wich is pretty epic.
Its F2P anyway, so people can just try and if they dont like it, deinstall.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess I have to be that asshole who comes in and says this really doesn't look all that good.
It looks like the best MMOFPS game that is or will be active, and that's good enough for me.
You wouldn't be an asshole if you detailed what about it doesn't look good to you. Sharing that helps. The assholes are the people who simply say they don't like it, which contributes nothing to the conversation/thread. But, hey, at least you were polite about it.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It just looks... bland. I've read up on a bit and saw the E3 gameplay (unfortunately barely any actual fps action was shown) and wasn't impressed.

So... it's a huge mmofps. Other then having a lot of players, what does this game bring to the table that isn't systematically done by other FPS games? I cant help but look at the feature list that includes things like "regenerating shields" a la Halo, fast-paced combat, skill progression that mimics that in Eve, and a Cash Shop and feel let down. 38 pages for this game? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I've to admit to being intrigued by the whole territorial control ordeal, but that's not enough to get me interested. The gameplay just doesn't seem to back it up.

The visuals are alarming, too. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they've improved since E3.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:17:57 pm by Rex_Nex »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It just looks... bland. I've read up on a bit and saw the E3 gameplay (unfortunately barely any actual fps action was shown) and wasn't impressed.

So... it's a huge mmofps. Other then having a lot of players, what does this game bring to the table that isn't systematically done by other FPS games? I cant help but look at the feature list that includes things like "regenerating shields" a la Halo, fast-paced combat, skill progression that mimics that in Eve, and a Cash Shop and feel let down. 38 pages for this game? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I've to admit to being intrigued by the whole territorial control ordeal, but that's not enough to get me interested. The gameplay just doesn't seem to back it up.

For me, a large part of the draw is the territorial control, varied battleground, huge open continents, and thousands of players per server (per continent? not sure that was ever clarified).
It has huge potential for incredible amounts of team-based fun. As well as having three unique factions, tons of roles, awesome looking vehicles, and things exploding.

I would recommend if you wish to see more of it in action, to search the internet a bit more. I can't provide any links at the moment, but there are tons of videos out there from large events with much gameplay (such as TotalBiscuits E3 feed, which I can't link atm).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

and things exploding.
Read this 100 times and you will be convinced.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

The visuals are alarming, too. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they've improved since E3.
You are being being overly critical. There is not a single MMOFPS game out there with an active community, excluding Planetside 1 with the free month. That in its own right is enough to make it interesting. You mention things that are in other games, as if they haven't copied concepts themselves. Even complaining that there is a cosmetic cash shop in a free means that you do not understand the F2P model.

Also, calling the visuals "alarming" is going over the line. Just because it does not look as good as Crysis doesn't automatically mean it is horrible, bad and unacceptable. Even then, it is an MMO for crying out loud. There is a limit to how good something can look when there might be 500 of them loaded at the same time.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I have to say, I'm pretty hyped from ages of playing Battlefield 2 alone, not to mention the livestream footage and detail list (even if I don't like every feature). I really dig the MMOFPS idea, wherein MMO means it includes an explorable, consistent environment. Unless someone who's played it has got complaints in particular, I wouldn't be swayed by worries that it's going to be too generic or the like.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other then having a lot of players, what does this game bring to the table that isn't systematically done by other FPS games?
It's not that they have anything new, it's what they're combining. Not much has been new in FPS games recently; the originality, creating a new and better feeling of a game, is in the combination and balancing of elements. I personally like best its combination of Star Wars Battlefront -like gameplay with massive games. I think it will feel like an actual war (albeit still a video game). The visuals are pretty dull, but they work.
My main point comes down to that I've played all of the recent FPS games, and they're all just wrong; PlanetSide 2 might be more right. Battlefield 3 is probably the best, but its small teams, unbalanced and clunky gameplay, and hideous visuals are all rather disappointing. I was wanting a new, better Battlefront, which PlanetSide 2 might be.

Blizzlord, Rex_Nex might view games differently than you. Just because you value or don't value something doesn't mean he does the same. People appreciate games for different reasons, and this game just doesn't look like it has anything he appreciates in it, enough to say it's a good game without playing it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

It just looks... bland.
Well, I kind of agree and see what you mean, for a normal FPS that would be the case, but you probably didn't play PS1. None of the movies we've seen show the size of a continent. These things are HUGE. I've played a shitload of FPS'es, but the scale of this totally changes the way FPS'es work.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very possible. I'll have to see it in action first!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just looking forwards to there being a MMOFPS with a large enough and active enough community to be worth playing. That it's F2P is the cherry on top.

I used to play the SCO/Flysis/Air Rivals family of games. The game itself was pretty poor, with very limited customisation (four classes with very limited build variation within those classes), clunky graphics and an engine that was massively outdated even before beta was finished. Yet during the periods when we had solid numbers it was incredibly fun. The game and supporting infrastructures were that bad that we could crash the server with chat spam, but at the same time we had such enjoyable battles that chat spam seemed a natural thing to do.

The ability to treat a 100 vs 100 meat-grinder battle as a strategic distraction while your high level fighters ninjed behind enemy lines to destroy an objective meant that even a mediocre Korean grindfest pay-to-win Starfox ripoff was worth playing. Give me a game that allows for similar scale, strategic and tactical manoeuvres while having a halfway decent engine, character customisation and diversity and I'll be happy.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 826