Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089459 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It just looks... bland. I've read up on a bit and saw the E3 gameplay (unfortunately barely any actual fps action was shown) and wasn't impressed.

So... it's a huge mmofps. Other then having a lot of players, what does this game bring to the table that isn't systematically done by other FPS games? I cant help but look at the feature list that includes things like "regenerating shields" a la Halo, fast-paced combat, skill progression that mimics that in Eve, and a Cash Shop and feel let down. 38 pages for this game? Maybe there's something I'm missing.

I've to admit to being intrigued by the whole territorial control ordeal, but that's not enough to get me interested. The gameplay just doesn't seem to back it up.

The visuals are alarming, too. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they've improved since E3.
You are being being overly critical.
Nonsense.  There's no such thing as excessive criticism.

The visuals are alarming, too. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they've improved since E3.
Also, calling the visuals "alarming" is going over the line. Just because it does not look as good as Crysis doesn't automatically mean it is horrible, bad and unacceptable. Even then, it is an MMO for crying out loud. There is a limit to how good something can look when there might be 500 of them loaded at the same time.
I don't really see the point of this criticism, though.  From what I've seen, PS2 looks like one of the best games I've ever seen, although likely below things like Crysis and The Witcher 2.  It certainly doesn't look like anything that could be produced with the current console hardware.  I also haven't seen any of the bloom or desaturation filters that plague modern games.  Is it the artistic design that you find alarming?  I may not be the the best judge of the graphics, as it could look like PS1 for all I care.

The appeal of any game can be hard to pin down.  I'd say it's in the way the change in scale affects the original genre.  Think about what makes EVE different from a single-player space sim.  In the same way that EVE's economy is driven by player interaction, PS2's war is a real thing of which your experience is a small tangible component.  It's also nice to have an MMO where you affect the outcome by flying and shooting people instead of watching numbers go up and down.  The fact that it looks like a solid vehicle and class based FPS in it's own right is also good.  If you have no interest there's no reason to play, but it's free to play so there's nothing to lose by trying it.

edit: Steam!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:14:31 pm by Microcline »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Bringing attention to this since I just read up on it.

Chances are it doesn't mean VAC, but it at least should mean the overlay and a whopping influx of additional players to beef up the ranks even further.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Don't expect the beta on Monday.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile

I'm expecting access to the beta around the last week of August (I won't have any kind of priority access). Hopefully a bunch of you guys will get in within the next few days. Smedley said in the Reddit AMA that he was "99.9999%" sure that they would start letting people play on Monday, but that was a few days ago and things might have changed.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know that me and Dom3k are in the tech test right now, and from what I have read they might let more people in on Monday but the tech test will continue on till next Monday so no beta yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Bringing attention to this since I just read up on it.

Chances are it doesn't mean VAC, but it at least should mean the overlay and a whopping influx of additional players to beef up the ranks even further.
Isnt VAC source-only?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

m0nster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The giveaway is over and Chiefwaffles won the key!

VAC isn't source only (for example the recent Call of Duty games use it).
But I can't really see Planetside 2 using it. Sony Online will probably use their own anti-cheat measures.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Whats wrong with VAC anyway?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But I can't really see Planetside 2 using it. Sony Online will probably use their own anti-cheat measures.

That and have a team online 24/7 to kick/ban offender ( cheater ) right away.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also more keys are being handed out Monday.

Angry rambling
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:40:45 pm by ScriptWolf »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What are they doing now? I've mostly stopped reading threads on PSU since I haven't been seeing much worth replying to, and most of the threads have been either bitching, speculative bitching, or a description of something speculative with a plea not to bitch about it. ¯\(°_o)/¯
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was putting my point across about how there has been no progression/patches in the game even though they rolled back a 6gb patch last week! For a 600mb patch instead,

and I'm whining ( yes I'm sort of whiny when I put my point across so sue me )  because they are not improving on the game or fixing problems. For fuck sake the vanu archives outpost in EU has been fucked for a week now with the spawn point floating away from the main base -.-

one guy replies " I suggest you quit applying for beta testing, as you obviously don't get it. Coding takes time. It's been ~3 weeks. Impatience and beta testing a game (or anything else) does not go well together."

I know it's testing but they should be doing visible work on the ge where there are major faults !

Once again just my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:44:32 pm by ScriptWolf »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

and I'm whining ( yes I'm sort of whiny when I put my point across so sue me )
I'm sorry, I'm with "one guy" there. It's a tech-beta. You're doing actual work for them, for free, and in turn you may or may not get some enjoyment out of it, that's how those things work.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and I'm whining ( yes I'm sort of whiny when I put my point across so sue me )
I'm sorry, I'm with "one guy" there. It's a tech-beta. You're doing actual work for them, for free, and in turn you may or may not get some enjoyment out of it, that's how those things work.

Yeah it's not that I mind it's a tech test but nothing is being fixed, and the beta is meant to happen supposedly tomorrow. Maybe I'm confusing my point :P my main put i am trying to put is that none of the crippling things in the game are being fixed

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I must also add that I am nervous that they have not addressed ANY of the bug showstopper issues yet. I am confident that before release many of them will be fixed, but that means to me release is getting further and further away.

Most of these things make it clear that they are not ready for large scale beta unless they are hiding a secret improved version of the game for that test.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 826