Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089300 times)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel that the term 'beta' has been ruined by games like Minecraft, beta is beta. There will be crippling bugs, there will be downtime. Part and parcel really.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

I feel that the term 'beta' has been ruined by games like Minecraft, beta is beta. There will be crippling bugs, there will be downtime. Part and parcel really.

I agree with this statement, I personally like to see a bit more order and features during a beta due to that
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like beta has been ruined by the big companies that turn them into pre-order demos.

There should be SOME bugs in beta, but for the most part, it should be a finished product with only polishing left to do.

In the state it's in now, it's probably closer to an alpha. You have a working basis for a game, but significant portions are still being worked on.

Still, in the end, they're just words, and mean only what the user intends and the listener interprets. Words change, and in the present era they change faster than they ever have. I get pissed off at some of the directions this takes, but in the end, it's silly to fight it. Words will be used however they're used, and sometimes it'll catch on, sometimes it'll die out.

I do want to play this, probably to the point where I've gotten myself too hyped up about it, but I'm patient. I have other things to do in the meantime, and when it's ready, it's ready.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

So, beta/next round of test recruits opens up on Monday for certain! Rumors abound regarding whether SOE will delay Monday for further game updates, in favor of a protracted Sunday until they are ready to accept more players.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think people are confused on Alpha and Beta, so from software development on wikipedia

Alpha

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black box or gray box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.[2]

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. The exception to this is when the alpha is available publicly (such as a pre-order bonus), in which developers normally push for stability so that their testers can test properly. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.
Beta

Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

PS2 is not ready for beta unless the version we have seen is different than the version for CBT.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are we not just arguing semantics? It's a release of the game, to participants who have signed up, to test the game and aid in bug hunting and feature development. They've constantly stated that it will be a buggy release, they've not tried to lie, hide it, or even charge you for it. They can call it an epislon for all they want, they've stated their deffinition of beta openly.

I guess my point is, why are we arguing this?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Because the beta hasn't started yet, so we're all bored.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube

I'm curious to see how many people resubbed to P1 in the hopes of getting beta faster.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because the beta hasn't started yet, so we're all bored.

Valid point

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile

Did we decide which faction we're going with?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Did we decide which faction we're going with?
Terran Republic
 49 (34%)
New Conglomerate
 56 (38.9%)
Vanu Sovereignty
 39 (27.1%)
Total Members Voted: 144

Poll at the top says NC

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Hilarious. Right after I say we're waiting for closed beta I get in to the closed beta get tasty cookies.

I'm going to go download the beta eat mah cookies.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube

I just checked my SoE account and it says "ACTIVE" next to Planetside 2. Does this pretty much mean I'm in, or just on the list? I haven't been following too many "How the beta works" articles so I'm not sure what to expect.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Active simply mean yu WILL get in beta, just dont know when.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my "Inactive" means I have no chance at all despite signing up and being a prior subscriber?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 826