Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089798 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2220 on: September 03, 2012, 02:22:32 am »

I usually respawn at the warpgate if I can't respawn right there or at a nearby galaxy. It takes less time to fly back than to walk from the nearest base... (Of course, it costs resources to fly back)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: September 03, 2012, 02:45:02 am »

it'd be better if I could choose to spawn outside my death hex after I die.  Getting tired of fighting at zuvran west and needing vehicle support, but being unable to make the trek to the crown or crossroads watchtower.
Zuvran West Sucks Balls.
Spent quite a while defending Allatum from wave after wave of TR as a medic. Fun times. I really like the faux-jungle infantry warfare.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: September 03, 2012, 04:02:01 am »

Meh, it's an auraxium spawn, so vanu has more motivation to defend it than nc or tr have to attack it on east1.  Apparently the vehicle spawns are broken at west, so when they fix that, it'll be feasible to take those turrets down.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: September 03, 2012, 04:28:11 am »

Due to being in the middle of everything, between the Crown and Zuvran, it's often a "hot" area, and I tend to end up there every time, just to find that yes, the vehicle spawn is still broken, get marching, soldier.

Still hardly any coordinated attacks on the NC EU2 side, sadly. Lots of zerging helps, too.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: September 03, 2012, 04:34:33 am »

The way spawning works still really bugs me. Why on earth is it that we can only spawn at like, two places plus galaxies at any given time? And one of the two places in the warp gate?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: September 03, 2012, 06:26:06 am »

The spawning makes sense to me. It's the closest fixed base on your side to your death, or home base, or mobile field bases set up in the vicinity(galaxies)

If you wanna go somewhere else... put yourself there... or... perhaps... oh.... I don't know... work as a team?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: September 03, 2012, 06:40:39 am »

It's the closest spawnable location and galaxies and spawn beacons in that area.

It's not the closest base, which would be allatum or zuvran or whatever.  It's the closest place where you can spawn, which can be an outpost with no vehicle spawn.

It's that you either spawn at the main, or you spawn where you are.  Playing with a team doesn't fix that, you're still stuck getting a galaxy and flying back out, rather than just spawning at the tower you're holding 1 hex over and building an armor column to drive in and support.  That's the problem with it.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 03, 2012, 09:54:13 am »

We had epic fight yesterday at EU2, TR and Vanu were only fighting NC for some time, pushing every1 to gate + nearest small bases. 30-40 tanks + air support at one place? Thats fun. Shame in fights like that i got 10sec long dropdowns to 1 fps every minute or two.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 03, 2012, 10:21:39 am »

Does anyone know what all the attachments do?  Like, does the fore grip reduce recoil/reset time?

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:42 am »

You can mouseover stuff after you buy things, and it says.

The foregrip is "less side-to-side movement when burst-firing", I believe.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 03, 2012, 10:50:24 am »

The foregrip is also either totally worth it, or it's one hell of a placebo.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 03, 2012, 11:07:24 am »

NC has almost equal numbers to TR on east 2, but we're getting pounded here. Haven't gotten out of the dry sea area thingy place in days...

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 03, 2012, 11:27:53 am »

I'll try to remember to copy some of the details down and do a little more testing on some of the things. Off the top of my head;

Rail attachments;
Forwards grip - reduces horizontal recoil. May have some effect on vertical recoil, not sure.
Laser pointer - reduces cone of fire/bullet spread. Mostly has an effect on hip fire, maybe some effect when aimed.
Flashlight - purely cosmetic right now I believe.

Barrel attachment;
Suppressor - reduces sound greatly and muzzle flash somewhat. No declared drawbacks, but may have some undocumented impacts.

Scopes;
... most of these are what they say on the tin. Not sure if the different types have any different effects or are supposed to in the future. Just go with the magnification and aesthetics you want. Oh, plus the IRNV night vision.

Those categories are the three with avaliable accessories that can be equipped at the same time. Pick one of each. Right now both rail and barrel share a selection slot but still work at the same time. That is, the suppressor works alongside any rail attachment despite being in the same (utility) selection screen. You just have to select the two you want so they are both highlighted. They will show up on the model despite the slot only showing one of them.

Similarly a couple of items seem to replace other things but actually don't. The grenade bandoleer goes in the same armour slot as your shield but doesn't appear to actually change anything (not tested, but didn't notice any difference during fighting). Similarly the engineer keeps explosives in the same slot as his ammo pack, but the ammo can still be accessed by selecting the turret and choosing alternative fire mode (b).

The foregrip is also either totally worth it, or it's one hell of a placebo.
I'm starting to think the latter. For my Gauss SAW I switched back to the laser pointer and noticed my hipfire working a lot better without losing any ability to keep sustained fire on targets. I want to reinstall FRAPS and do some real comparison tests, but I'm fairly certain the cone of fire is wider than any horizontal recoil and the vertical recoil is controllable without it (if it even makes a difference). Shrinking the CoF is more important anyway in my books.

I know I bought into it immediately after a patch that seemed to improve SAW accuracy anyway and my FPS was improving at the same time, so any actual impacts might have come from those instead.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: September 03, 2012, 12:24:26 pm »

I'd say it seems like the foregrip has been useful, but yeah I may indeed go back to trying out laser dot.

Also I doubt the suppressor has any disadvantages. After all, it locks out the option to use the red dot and foregrip, both of which have no apparent disadvantages on their own. However, it never gets dark enough to justify using a flashlight.

Y'know, tangentially, I always wonder why when we have technology like lighting, mirrors etc, so few games use them as actual gameplay elements.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 03, 2012, 12:59:11 pm »

The laser makes you more visible, and I tend to aim when firing anyways. For the SAW the laser might be appropriate, but my light assault Mercenary keeps the foregrip, if only for good luck.

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 826