Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089237 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2280 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:31 pm »

The problem is you have to buy quite a bit before you're really effective in any role.  It'll still be about 10 hours of gameplay before I can buy skyguard and probably 20 before I could afford burster max.  There's a pretty strong incentive to main a character and faction.

That said, the preferred bay12 faction looks to be NC right now, though it's scattered between eu1, eu2, and east1.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 05, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »

I have a pretty good ping to the US, if everybody is there.
(i live in Europe).

Not like i have a key.
I hope i wont be one of the late guys that cant get a key because they are all gone.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:40:19 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 05, 2012, 01:47:22 pm »

Of any group (EU or East), choose at least #2 or #3, #1 will probably be full most of the time... I'd say we go for East2 or East3.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:31 pm »

Don't know about East3, but West3 doesn't have a lot of people playing it compared to the numbers I was seeing on West1.

Edit: Oh, my post didn't post. Pasting:

I think the TR reflex and reflex 2x sights are nicer than the NC reflex and reflex 2x sights, personally. Of course the vanu sights are even better, but I didn't particularly like the feel of them.

I've currently got characters on...
West 1: Vanu, TR, NC
West 2: TR
West 3: NC, TR
EU 1: NC, Vanu
East 1: NC, but it was unplayable when I tried it ages ago and I've never gone back.

I've mainly stuck to West because I seemed to get better framerates there, and East 1 had people teleporting and running in the air and stuff.

If there is a wipe I could obviously just make a new character anywhere, as I have had no major problems with lag aside from East 1, which may have just been server problems at the time (I am on the east coast).
If not, my NC on West 3 has A2A missiles and A2G rocket pods already, but the population there seems low.
I may try the TR for a while. I want to see how the Prowler does against the vanguard when it's deployed. (I was destroying prowlers in an unmodified vanguard, but I do not think they had deployed)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:54:41 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 05, 2012, 02:02:24 pm »

The problem is you have to buy quite a bit before you're really effective in any role.  It'll still be about 10 hours of gameplay before I can buy skyguard and probably 20 before I could afford burster max.  There's a pretty strong incentive to main a character and faction.
It's only AA or A2G that you really need to spend auraxium on right now. Burster MAX is only really effective in large groups or as a deterrent anyway, so grabbing one for 8k Au early is enough to help defend stationary positions. My twin bursters can push enemy air off a target, but rarely get any actual kills unless someone parks in front of me. Skyguard is apparently broken due to high recoil and only occasionally going to be present either way.

If they made a basic AA weapon free at the start (I like the idea of giving the MAX one of each of the three main weapons then letting them unlock a second at cost) and maybe a weaker missile for the fighters then I don't think there would be any required purchases unless you are a dedicated pilot or driver. Absolutely everything else is reasonable from day one and improves with only certs. And certs accumulate even when you aren't online.
Of any group (EU or East), choose at least #2 or #3, #1 will probably be full most of the time... I'd say we go for East2 or East3.
I've only had a full server on EU1 once since the initial rush, and I just spam clicked on the login for ten seconds and got in anyway.

I don't really have a problem with taking a different one, but I can't imagine only the first day-one server having a population problem in this game. I doubt you are going to avoid full servers just by moving to two or three once the game opens fully.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:09 pm »

Apparently some of the unlockable tank guns may or may not be useful, and the unlockable aa guns for the galaxy are useful from what I've heard for shooting down pesky fighters.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 05, 2012, 02:23:04 pm »

TBH, I can't begin to suggest that anyone makes an nc character on east 1.  They've generally got a 5+% pop advantage over tr and up to 13+% on vanu.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »

Apparently some of the unlockable tank guns may or may not be useful, and the unlockable aa guns for the galaxy are useful from what I've heard for shooting down pesky fighters.
I've heard some huge praise for the Gal AA cannon, including as a (poorly placed) AI weapon. I wouldn't say it's a required buy though. Nice if you pull a lot of Galaxies for your squad.

And I'd hope that most of the buyable guns are useful, but realistically everything in the shop is supposed to be a sidegrade of the starting kit. Some might be vital to a certain playstyle, or offer a significant advantage against particular popular tactics, but nothing should be critical to contributing to the fight in any given role.

Right now I'd say getting some sort of AA (which means at least one MAX burster or maybe the HA AA rocket if it works; not heard much good about it) is a high priority to cover most of the basic roles in game. That's why I'd propose changing the starting MAX weapons as I described. Similarly offering a weaker A2G missile on the fighters at start would let anyone provide close air support without needing to find a Liberator gunner.

And arguably make the NC AI MAX weapon actually viable. The scattergun is so limited it's hardly worth equipping even if you expect the situations it was designed for. I now have more kills with my bursters, and far more with the AV Falcon.
TBH, I can't begin to suggest that anyone makes an nc character on east 1.  They've generally got a 5+% pop advantage over tr and up to 13+% on vanu.
Fair point. I'd rather be outnumbered TBH, even if it means slower resource income. Which east server has most Vanu? I rather enjoy fighting them but it's hard to find enough to make it worthwhile.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 05, 2012, 02:38:40 pm »

So, I got sent a Beta invite last week. Installed it and fooled around for a bit, but I never played the original so I'm a bit at a loss for what to do.

Anyone know of a good primer for how to play this game?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 05, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »

footzerg everywhere. vs and nc hate it ;)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 05, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

So, I got sent a Beta invite last week. Installed it and fooled around for a bit, but I never played the original so I'm a bit at a loss for what to do.

Anyone know of a good primer for how to play this game?
There are a few (mostly incomplete or outfit specific) guides that turn up if you search the forums.

I'd say just ask any specific questions here. It's hard to do a general guide for the whole game simply because there is a lot to cover. Are you interested in effective tactics? General strategy? Game mechanics? Any small subset of one of those could take a long time to summarise.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 05, 2012, 03:17:29 pm »

Mostly just looking for some info on what to do in general. Or how to get to where the action is if you get spawned far away from it (without running forever on foot)

All I managed to do last time was crash a plane and fire my rifle ineffectually at an enemy aircraft that was flying overhead. And run around a lot in a base without really learning much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 05, 2012, 03:20:46 pm »

I have made a spreadsheet so we can get a hold of how many players we have that are from B12. And I guess we can use it for other things too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmqRIjfuhTTJdFJPRFh3ZGNaZGFCTXNmQlY0YWw3LVE#gid=0

Can the OP or Girlinhat stick the link on the front page?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:25:21 pm by Isdar »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »

Recently got into the beta through that Curse key giveaway but unfortunately the game runs at 1-3 fps anywhere near a battle no matter how much I tweak. Runs at 30-45 outside of battles though. Has anyone else had better performance with something similar to or crappier than a pentium D 820 (2.80GhZ dual core)?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 05, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »

This image primer isn't bad. It covers a lot of the basics.
Or how to get to where the action is if you get spawned far away from it (without running forever on foot)
I'd say there are three main ways.

The first is the Instant Action option on the map screen (just hit M to bring up the map). Find one of the big flashing stars that indicates a current hotspot. You can drop directly onto one of these every 30 minutes. Note that a site being a hotspot doesn't mean there is much actual fighting or that your side is even present there. It's also pretty buggy and I've more often dropped into the wrong fight than not in the last week. I'd say this is a last resort.

The second is hitching a lift with a Galaxy or other transport. I'd always recommend a Galaxy. This puts you quickly on the front lines with at least a few allies along for the ride. I'd recommend this most of the time, especially if you can find a squad/platoon/outfit that communicates

The third is flying or driving yourself. Even just grabbing a cheap Flash can shrink distances considerably, and the fighters are even better. For me this is most likely if I find myself stranded at an allied base behind the front lines with no other options, if there are absolutely no allied Galaxies loading up, or if I have been isolated from my current squad and just want to get back to them fast. Just head straight for the border between factions and you should find either fighting or an unguarded base to try to cap yourself. Pretty soon you will learn where the major combat hotspots are and where to head for guaranteed fighting based on the current front line.

Once you are in combat you should always be able to respawn at the closest current spawn point held by your side. If you are in a sector you can choose any spawn you currently control. If there are nearby deployed Galaxies you can choose any of them. If you don't have any spawns in your sector you will only have the closest allied spawn (although this sometimes bugs for me and sends me to the extreme north west). At any time you can respawn back at your warpgate.

There is also the option to deploy to a squad beacon, but that's of limited use unless you have a well organised squad in the first place.
I have made a spreadsheet so we can get a hold of how many players we have that are from B12. And I guess we can use it for other things too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmqRIjfuhTTJdFJPRFh3ZGNaZGFCTXNmQlY0YWw3LVE#gid=0
I'd remove station name from that. Maybe allow your PS2 forum name, but station name is your account logon and should really be something different from your characters and forum name to help secure your account. Less vital for a F2P like PS2, but still good practice.
Recently got into the beta through that Curse key giveaway but unfortunately the game runs at 1-3 fps anywhere near a battle no matter how much I tweak. Runs at 30-45 outside of battles though. Has anyone else had better performance with something similar to or crappier than a pentium D 820 (2.80GhZ dual core)?
Dual cores have been getting really poor performance I'm afraid, and no-one I've seen on the forums have been reporting good performance with a Pentium. Things might get better with optimisation and more tweaks being available.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:48:19 pm by palsch »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 826