Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089240 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2355 on: September 06, 2012, 06:42:51 pm »

I'm back on in just a moment here. For the record, keypad 9 is the outfit voice chat button.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2356 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »

Think that's it for me tonight, keep lagging out and crashing.

Guess I'm gonna need to upgrade my hardware. Maybe more memory and a newer vid card and getting windows 7 instead of xp will help me out.

Currently running with 4gb memory, e8600 processor @ 4ghz, and a gtx 260 core 216 video card. The less crowded servers are OK, but when I get in areas with a lot of people I get frequent freezes that last ~5-15 seconds. It's strange because it will run perfectly smooth for a while, then freeze completely for a bit, then run perfectly smooth. No stuttering or jittery movement or anything, just alternating between smooth and frozen for seconds at a time (usually at the worst times).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 06, 2012, 08:28:12 pm »

I've heard people with dual core processors have a lot of problems running this, although 4ghz is quite formidable. GTX 260 will probably be a source of problems as well.

In fact given that you seem to mostly have problems with soldiers on screen I'll bet it's just your video card. I have a GeForce 660M and I had problems with that big time until I cranked the graphics down to the minimum. IMO the game still looks decent and I get a pretty consistent 40FPS (I think an update to the game client might be part of that though).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2358 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:35 pm »

The odd thing is I had graphics on default, and it did it. So I turned them to low, restarted, and it still did it. Does it about the same as it did with them on medium.

The other games I play run smooth as can be. Tribes Ascend runs perfectly at the highest settings.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:36:42 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 06, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »

I played this thing for like a year and they still haven't sent me a beta key :(

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 06, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

I played this thing for like a year and they still haven't sent me a beta key :(

Smedley has been telling people who should have access to email here: happytohelp@soe.sony.com
If you were a previous subscriber to Planetside, you should have access now.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2361 on: September 06, 2012, 09:07:45 pm »

Geez does this game get intense sometimes.

I was driving a tank, shooting random stuff, and a plane came by and rocketed me to death.

Alright. That happens. No big deal.

There happens to be three Galaxies parked about 400m away. Might as well respawn there.

This dropped me into the most intense fight I have fought in the game yet. (Which isn't saying much I guess since I only started playing today.) NC (my team) had set up about two full platoons on a hill overlooking an outpost. West Highlands Checkpoint to be specific. TR held the outpost with a similar amount of men. Snipers, Maxes, turrets and rockets galore. FOR TWENTY MINUTES. I went sniper and just picked off as many people as I could. Both sides attempted charges across the open ground between the lines. Both sides failed repeatedly. There were just too many bullets flying.

Eventually a series of lucky NC Liberator strikes were able to drive them back, and we took the outpost.

Hundreads of dead bodies marked that minor victory. All over a single tiny outpost.

This game is awesome.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 06, 2012, 09:14:06 pm »

Did you associate the SoE account which you played PS1 on with PS2 by using it to sign up for the beta (before the invite wave for vets)? Because if you never did that would be why you never got invited. They didn't invite all vets, they only invited ones who actually signed up for the beta.

I've seen at least one report by a person that they never got an invite but happened to have been accepted to the beta (as they found out when they checked their SoE game pass status, IIRC). Perhaps it is the same with you?

This is the link to log in and download the launchpad for PS2: https://auth.station.sony.com/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Faccount.station.sony.com%2Fj_spring_cas_security_check&theme=ps2&locale=en_US

It won't let you download it if you haven't been accepted into the beta already.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 06, 2012, 09:20:03 pm »

West 1: "Server is currently full. Please try again in a different server."

Yeah, we might want a different server. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:52 pm »

Ended up playing in a platoon for three hours. The game is tons of fun, even though our group tactics mainly were standing around getting shot at while waiting to regroup before attacking again and getting spread all over the place.

I am a terrible pilot, does anyone have any tips?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 06, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »

Try not to die?

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2366 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »

Yeah, we are talking about changing the temp outfit over to East 2.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 06, 2012, 09:26:28 pm »

Temp server is now EAST 2. Final will also be East 2, consider this a test of your server connectivity there. :P

Because yeah, West 1 is full all the time. I was hoping it had improved but LOLNOPE.

The temporary outfit will still be New Conglomerate. Don't worry though, we may change factions on monday depending on how the short-story contest goes.

Edit: and my name there is GloriousLeader.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »

I have nobody on East 2. Will have to make a new character, with no certs. :'(

Oh well!

Edit: Made one named B12Shadowlord. (Shadowlord is taken, I think, and not by me.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:32:38 pm by Shadowlord »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 06, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »

uh. 

Use your hover thrusters to increase your max top speed.
Abuse the AB if you're NC
Bug out the instant you see your hp going down
Get used to flying really fast, really close to the ground
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 826