Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084868 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2370 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:11 pm »

My character on East 2 is Timferno

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: September 06, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »

If you're on the west side of the map, trees are your friends. Dodge between them, land under them. East side, valleys can help. Make the enemy focus more on maneuvering than aiming at you. North side... well... not much you can do there except run south or try and find a base. The big crater can help, it's got a few nice places to dodge through, but really, it's just a desert without much cover for the most part.

I've gotten decent at flying the gal through the trees and it's saved me at least once. Possibly more, but I can't guarantee some of those weren't due to help I was getting from teammates. Trees don't necessarily provide perfect cover, but it's damn hard to aim through them and the lower you stay to the ground the harder it is for the enemy to get into a position where you can't fire back upon them (if you have gunners.) The gal bank rate does seem to be a bit more sluggish since the last update though, but it's yaw rate seems either the same or boosted, so it's not too hard to adjust.

I had a really nice run in a Gal earlier with one other person. I'd fly him around to small outposts to capture them. Good practice for hot drops and evacs. Did my best to fly as close to the points as possible to let him jump out and then land and get deployed as fast as possible on the pickup. Ran into reavers at some point near Dahaka and while I dodged most of the dumbfire rockets, the guns were pretty accurate and one of them had A2A. I landed and tried to repair, got the health back up but then started getting hit hard so I tried to run again, but it was the desert so I had no luck and eventually died. My passenger managed to escape though. Good on him.

Flying the gal really is the most fun thing for me. I'm definitely pumping everything I've got into it after the wipe. Dislike the new crazy long timer, but I guess they give certs to get rid of most of it, even if they're expensive.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:35:05 pm by sluissa »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: September 06, 2012, 10:59:33 pm »

Flying the gal really is the most fun thing for me. I'm definitely pumping everything I've got into it after the wipe. Dislike the new crazy long timer, but I guess they give certs to get rid of most of it, even if they're expensive.

I love flying Gals as well. If you're having issues with the timer make sure to pick up the Gal implant from the store. It drops five minutes off the timer for 24 hours and only costs 25 space doubloons(I forgot the name of the blue resource). Also when you're getting harassed by a lone fighter, especially Vanu because they love to hover near gals, just ram them out of the sky. A Gal can take the impact but a fighter can't.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:25:59 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 06, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »

I believe Reavers can also stand the impact from ramming other fighters (or vice versa) if they're not too badly damaged. There was this one time that I pulled up and braked while a scythe was on my tail, and he slammed right into my reaver and exploded - and I only went down to 50% durability.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 06, 2012, 11:15:50 pm »

Does anyone own the skyguard?  I'm wondering if they've patched the recoil yet.  I'm wondering whether I should save for the skyguard or just get my second burster.

As for the burster, very worth it if you're playing within a squad with engies who will take care of you.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: September 06, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »

Speaking of Anti-Air, does anyone have any experience with the dorsal and tail AA guns available to the Galaxy?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:58 pm »

I've heard that getting the top-mount conrad blinds the pilot, but the rear gun seems alright.  The ROF is quite high, which is nice, but I'm not sure about the damage on it.

If you want your gunners to love you, you might spec a few certs into the turret zoom.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:28 pm »

Oh, I love ramming things with the gal. Even a liberator is only about 2/3 damage on a full galaxy, although you do have to be a bit careful because occasionally the wreckage can get you and make it worse, or, as happened to me once, you get stuck to it and can't fly correctly eventually causing explosions. Most enemies are a bit more smart than that though, people don't usually get too close unless I've got gunners firing at them. Most of my ramming kills are either accidents or against landed vehicles though.

Gal AA: Yeah, I've got the top turret upgraded to the Walker... It is great. Much better than the default turret in almost every way. (It might have slightly less armor penetration, but I've still killed tanks and turrets with it so I don't know if there's anything it can't get through.) Next purchase will be the tail turret.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: September 06, 2012, 11:24:29 pm »

space doubloons
The real name is Auraxium. The correct name is now Space Doubloons.

Also, I'm mostly done playing for the night, but I'll pop on to throw Timferno an invite.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: September 06, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOO!  I accidentally deleted the character I had unlocks on.  Stupid laggy character select screen.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: September 07, 2012, 03:03:07 am »

Hmmm, so I've got these AA missiles on my Reaver, but they won't lock or fire. Fucking missiles, how do they work?!

I'll be on East2 tonight, probably, with a new char.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 07, 2012, 03:17:05 am »

Swap weapon with mousewheel or number keys?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: September 07, 2012, 03:29:26 am »

Am i the only one who is worried about all these wildswing nerfbat hits? I mean the more it goes the more worried i am about all these ULTRA-NERF... I wont go in all details but well... im scared good thing we arent even close to release, i keep hoping, but still im worried...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 07, 2012, 03:35:57 am »

Am i the only one who is worried about all these wildswing nerfbat hits? I mean the more it goes the more worried i am about all these ULTRA-NERF... I wont go in all details but well... im scared good thing we arent even close to release, i keep hoping, but still im worried...
I can't say i know what you're talking about but in any case it might be because they do not put much/any effort in the change because right now they're supposed to do other things?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:07 am »

The NDA is down, you don't have to be intentionally vague about stuff.  We won't be offended if you think cyclomaxs are too stronk or something like that.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 826