Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089801 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #3045 on: October 05, 2012, 01:15:30 pm »

Even tough they gave an hour... I'm still suspecting Valve-time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: October 06, 2012, 05:35:13 am »

Last tweets from John Smedley, ~4 hours ago:
"Servers coming down and wiped now. Patch being out out. One optimization didn't quite make it but still good performance increase."
"Esamir incoming"

Servers appear to be up at this time, however I am seeing 9 servers in the launcher, not 3.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:04 am »

are they all unlocked? I feel it's likely that they'd keep them all "up" just have the ones they don't want to use yet locked.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: October 06, 2012, 11:09:43 am »

only two servers are up at the moment, both are full
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #3049 on: October 06, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »

Yeahhhhh. Obviously the two server idea isn't going to fly.

I would love to play, but I can't. :(
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: October 06, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »

Weapon lock is enraging me.  I'm rolling with a platoon, so we're organized and we set up engie turrets facing the outlets of the enemies spawn while we're capping.  morons run in front of our turrets.

Absolutely nothing you can do about it.  We've got 8 turrets facing two doors and random medics and HA's run in front of the turret lines.  And nothing you can do but yell at them or light them up.

And if you light them up, you'll get weaponlocked, because you'll have already run someone over while you can't control a vehicle or maybe you had some splash damage on a teammate from a rocket, etc, etc.

Weaponlock is a punishment for playing right now too; as opposed to a punishment for tking.  It locks everything you can do asides from abilities and deployables.  So no healing and no repairing.  Repairing isn't griefable at all, reviving is only griefable in very, very few instances.

/ragedump

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3051 on: October 06, 2012, 12:32:13 pm »

Funny thing is, you can TK just as effectively even after you're weaponlocked. It doesn't stop you from getting vehicles and running over people or getting planes and crashing into friendly vehicles.

I got weaponlocked once when my tank spawned in (was in a waiting list with them spawning one after another) right as 4 idiots decided to run across the vehicle pad. Got four team kills as soon as the tank spawned and instantly weaponlocked.

I remember another guy I was in a squad with saying he got weaponlocked when a friendly galaxy full of people tried to land on his galaxy and caused a collision, his galaxy survived since the other one was a bit damaged, but he got 12 teamkills and weapon locked for it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: October 06, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »

Yeah. It also appears that standard NC rocket blast radius on enemy vehicles and units is pherhaps one meter. And the damage falloff is rapid. Fire right under a sunderer? No damage.

But for allies? Well, for allies the blast radius is twenty times bigger.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: October 06, 2012, 01:09:54 pm »

Basically, a plethora of complaints about this patch.  Empires don't seem to have any cap limit and cert gain/costs have swung just as wildly in the other direction. 

TR are warpgated on indar and esamir, NC and VS on esamir and indar can essentially afk-farm a whole continents worth of auraxium with minimal effort.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: October 06, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »

They did at least make it so you don't gain while idle anymore. It seems that way at least... I sat for a good 15 minutes and got nothing, but as soon as I started moving around again, it started rolling in.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3055 on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:49 pm »

Servers are going down while they fix the bug that is stopping people from creating a character, and a seperate bug that is causng the servers to display as full even when there are not sufficient players for it to do so. Each continent was hilariously unbalanced in terms of population as well.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: October 06, 2012, 02:27:01 pm »

Servers are going down while they fix the bug that is stopping people from creating a character, and a seperate bug that is causng the servers to display as full even when there are not sufficient players for it to do so.

Oh, I see. I was starting to get pretty frustrated, I guess I chose a bad time to create my first character.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: October 06, 2012, 02:35:58 pm »

They did at least make it so you don't gain while idle anymore. It seems that way at least... I sat for a good 15 minutes and got nothing, but as soon as I started moving around again, it started rolling in.

If moving is all it takes, I can just see people creating macros to make their characters run in a circle. IMO it should be based on kills, capping points, repairing things, healing people, etc. Actually playing the objective.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: October 06, 2012, 02:40:11 pm »

Also, about 20 minutes ago: Broadcast from SYSTEM: All servers are coming down until further notice due to population imbalance.
They're down now.

Yep. Also, if they just reset territories, it'll likely just happen again. They'll have to change some things to prevent it (one thing that would help would be server-wide resources rather than continent-wide).

Server-wide resources wouldn't help at the end condition where one faction is warpgated on both continents, but would help in when one faction has been warpgated on each continent and a third faction is fighting on both continents (in which situation the third faction loses due to having both its players and resource income split in half fighting two factions).

The real problem is that without resources you're largely ineffective against someone who has them and can afford to waste them willy-nilly (and only the individual vehicle spawn timers slow them down), and that people log off or switch servers* when losing badly because there is no real reason to keep playing if you are getting nothing and can't break out.

* Of course it was apparently impossible to switch servers; I tried, as I wanted to see how it was on the euro server, but I couldn't make a character on it, yet could log onto any of my other three just fine despite both saying Full.

If moving is all it takes, I can just see people creating macros to make their characters run in a circle. IMO it should be based on kills, capping points, repairing things, healing people, etc. Actually playing the objective.

Of course, I got no certs while I was on, because I could find nobody to kill, nothing to cap, and nothing to repair or heal which gave xp (just people harmed by friendly fire).

Unless, of course, I camped an enemy warpgate, or switched to Esamir, where everything looked like it was under some sort of overbrightness or oversaturation effect, or was faded white, and it was hard to see anywhere distant because LOL WHITE FOG... Unless I turned graphics and lighting from high to low, in which case I could suddenly see things clearly, but then Indar looked like crap (and I couldn't see inside the Indar WG after warping back).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:44:58 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: October 06, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »

And the PS2 forum threads about how absurd the population imbalance is are getting shut down by butthurt mods.  Probably not going to touch this game again until wipes, percentage based pop limits per server, and some major revision to resources is made.

Esamir showed just how terrible the resource/auraxium mechanic is.

By the end of the day, whichever faction gets locked out on a server is going to be down thousands and thousands of auraxium.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 826